Just off the Caribbean Princess

shadowlover

Returned today from our trip and thought I would write a review as I really loved reading them prior to my trip.

I travelled with my husband, three children and two friends. Embarkation was a breeze-got on board at noon. The ship is beautiful with so many places to explore! We had any time dining. I bought a coffee card and had a coupon for one free. I still have 4 more coupons if anyone would like them! I actually liked the dining room coffee better than the brewed coffee-go figure. The specialty coffee, however is better. I loved the Jamaican blue. I don't know if I would buy it again, but my husband says I should as it gave me something fun to do everyday! The first day the soda cards were offered for 4 dollars a day, which I thought was a great deal and my friend bought one. We packed lots of soda so didn't bother. I ended up really wishing I had the soda card, as it is so nice to be able to get a drink at anytime. We had several sea days where that card comes in handy. The ice cream is free but I didn't care for it- it was kind of gummy and VERY sweet. It was so nice to have it offered for free and my family loved it. The hand scooped is much better and that is offered right before the movies and in the dining room at lunch and dinner.

Dining: We went to the sail away sea food buffet and it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was that the seafood was all cold. Anytime dining is convenient but I don't think the service is quite as good as set dining. They seemed a bit harried at times. The food was good not fabulous. There definitely was plenty of it! We ate at the buffet for breakfast and most lunches. The pizza is really tasty and thin crusted.

MUTS is fun. I enjoyed it. They were playing all first run movies. Shopaholic, Marley and me, Grand torino, Dark knight, He's just not that into you. It was amazing that you could hear the movie but also have a conversation with someone next to you. The sound system is amazing.

Entertainment was good. Very talented singers and dancers, two fairly good comedians, a piano player in the lounge that always had a large crowd. I found the cruise director to be a little anoying and I'm not sure why. He was very corny and seemed to think that he was really funny. I found most of the staff to be quite helpful and polite. I feel that as long as you treat them with respect you get respect in return. I would agree that the level of service over the years has changed. This doesn't bother me so much it is just an observation, but they don't bend over backwards to serve. It still is very much of an elegant vacation and every request is taken seriously. Our cabin steward was great.

I have read on several posts that you are questioned when adjusting your gratuity. This simply is not true. You are quite free to do whatever you please as far as adjusting up, down or changing to paying by cash (which is what our friends did.) There is no pressure and no change in level of service.

Formal dining was I think day 2 and 7. Most did dress elegantly. I did see some gentlemen without jackets, but they were very well dressed. Some ladies wore long lovely gowns and some more simple but all well dressed.

I was also pleasantly surprised that I rarely saw anyone smoking-not sure if they have made it more difficult for smokers to find a spot to smoke.

We didn't do any ship excursions. We did rent a car in Grand turk (was not worth it) Best to stay at the port in Grand turk as it is the nicest part of the island. There is a nice beach with lots of chairs and also a beautiful big pool! Lots of shops there.

We rented a car in St. Thomas and that was well worth it. In Puerto Rico we walked around old San Juan and then took a ferry to the Bacardi distillery. The ferry is only fifty cents! The ship charges 50 dollars. The tour at the distillery is free and is fun with two free drinks at the end.

Bermuda is fun and I think the best way to see the island is by renting scooters.

We did the walk off disembarkation and was so glad for this option. You have to be able to carry your own luggage off, but you are the first off the ship at 7:30.

We had a great relaxing time and are already planning our next trip!

shadowlover - I have read on several posts that you are questioned when adjusting your gratuity. This simply is not true. You are quite free to do whatever you please as far as adjusting up, down or changing to paying by cash (which is what our friends did.) There is no pressure and no change in level of service.

Thanks for sharing your review.

Just out of curiosity, why did your friends remove or change the auto tip? :confused:

Thanks for sharing your impressions with us; I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

If your CD was Tim Donovan, I have to completely agree with you -- I couldn't stand the sight of him by the end of my cruise. "Corny" is too positive an adjective for him since it implies amusement; I'd choose "arrogant" and "full of himself" as better descriptors!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We are doing the same cruise 8/13 and I had a question about something you wrote. Where do you get the ferry to go to Bacardi? Is it anyplace where the CB docks? By the way where did it dock?

Thanks

synet165:)

Returned today from our trip and thought I would write a review as I really loved reading them prior to my trip.

I travelled with my husband, three children and two friends. Embarkation was a breeze-got on board at noon. The ship is beautiful with so many places to explore! We had any time dining. I bought a coffee card and had a coupon for one free. I still have 4 more coupons if anyone would like them!

Hey, shadowlover. Thanks for posting your review. We went last year on the CB before drydocking, and thought it was a great ship. We are sailing on the Emerald in a few months and would love to have one of the coffee coupons (thank you for offering). If you send me your email address at royalcatsataoldotcom, I would love to give you my mailing address. Thank you.

I travelled with my husband, three children and two friends. Embarkation was a breeze-got on board at noon. The ship is beautiful with so many places to explore! We had any time dining. I bought a coffee card and had a coupon for one free. I still have 4 more coupons if anyone would like them! I actually liked the dining room coffee better than the brewed coffee-go figure. The specialty coffee, however is better. I loved the Jamaican blue. I don't know if I would buy it again, but my husband says I should as it gave me something fun to do everyday! The first day the soda cards were offered for 4 dollars a day, which I thought was a great deal and my friend bought one. We packed lots of soda so didn't bother. I ended up really wishing I had the soda card, as it is so nice to be able to get a drink at anytime. We had several sea days where that card comes in handy. The ice cream is free but I didn't care for it- it was kind of gummy and VERY sweet. It was so nice to have it offered for free and my family loved it. The hand scooped is much better and that is offered right before the movies and in the dining room at lunch and dinner.

Dining: We went to the sail away sea food buffet and it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was that the seafood was all cold. Anytime dining is convenient but I don't think the service is quite as good as set dining. They seemed a bit harried at times. The food was good not fabulous. There definitely was plenty of it! We ate at the buffet for breakfast and most lunches. The pizza is really tasty and thin crusted.

MUTS is fun. I enjoyed it. They were playing all first run movies. Shopaholic, Marley and me, Grand torino, Dark knight, He's just not that into you. It was amazing that you could hear the movie but also have a conversation with someone next to you. The sound system is amazing.

Entertainment was good. Very talented singers and dancers, two fairly good comedians, a piano player in the lounge that always had a large crowd. I found the cruise director to be a little anoying and I'm not sure why. He was very corny and seemed to think that he was really funny. I found most of the staff to be quite helpful and polite. I feel that as long as you treat them with respect you get respect in return. I would agree that the level of service over the years has changed. This doesn't bother me so much it is just an observation, but they don't bend over backwards to serve. It still is very much of an elegant vacation and every request is taken seriously. Our cabin steward was great.

I have read on several posts that you are questioned when adjusting your gratuity. This simply is not true. You are quite free to do whatever you please as far as adjusting up, down or changing to paying by cash (which is what our friends did.) There is no pressure and no change in level of service.

Formal dining was I think day 2 and 7. Most did dress elegantly. I did see some gentlemen without jackets, but they were very well dressed. Some ladies wore long lovely gowns and some more simple but all well dressed.

I was also pleasantly surprised that I rarely saw anyone smoking-not sure if they have made it more difficult for smokers to find a spot to smoke.

We didn't do any ship excursions. We did rent a car in Grand turk (was not worth it) Best to stay at the port in Grand turk as it is the nicest part of the island. There is a nice beach with lots of chairs and also a beautiful big pool! Lots of shops there.

We rented a car in St. Thomas and that was well worth it. In Puerto Rico we walked around old San Juan and then took a ferry to the Bacardi distillery. The ferry is only fifty cents! The ship charges 50 dollars. The tour at the distillery is free and is fun with two free drinks at the end.

Bermuda is fun and I think the best way to see the island is by renting scooters.

We did the walk off disembarkation and was so glad for this option. You have to be able to carry your own luggage off, but you are the first off the ship at 7:30.

Hi Shadowlover - Welcome back! I'm glad you had a good time. If you have an extra coffee coupon, please email me at peedee3400@hotmail .com. I will be on the CB in just over three weeks.

Greg

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We are doing the same cruise 8/13 and I had a question about something you wrote. Where do you get the ferry to go to Bacardi? Is it anyplace where the CB docks? By the way where did it dock?

Thanks

Hi ShadowLover!

We have the same question as synet.

We weren't even going to get off the ship in San Juan, but this sounds like a nice, inexpensive alternative!

Thank you for your offer for the coupon for the coffee card. Please email me @ gerigross@aol.com.

thank you for posting a review. I will be on the Cb on 8-13-09 with my family.

Thanks

The ferry is in walking distance from the port. When getting off the ship the ferry building is to the left. Any official will show you. I forgot to mention that after getting to the other side, there is a 3 dollar minibus charge to the distillery. The ferries run every 30 minutes and the tour takes about one hour.

Have fun! There is plenty of time left over for shopping and touring around old San Juan either before or after going to the distillery.

Hey, shadowlover. Thanks for posting your review. We went last year on the CB before drydocking, and thought it was a great ship. We are sailing on the Emerald in a few months and would love to have one of the coffee coupons (thank you for offering). If you send me your email address at royalcatsataoldotcom, I would love to give you my mailing address. Thank you.

You can send me your address at stitchs@ptd.net. I would be happy to send you the coupon.

Hi ShadowLover!

We have the same question as synet.

We weren't even going to get off the ship in San Juan, but this sounds like a nice, inexpensive alternative!

San Juan is such a great port to get off the ship! The ship docks in walking distance from old San Juan which is directly across the street. Just walk right past all the people trying to sell tours as you don't need one. It was quite hot and humid and very crowded which made the day somewhat less enjoyable. The city is really quaint though and so well worth doing. If you've never toured the fort, that is fun too as there are great views from there. We got in free with our national park passes. The charge is only 3 dollars, or something like that.

The ferry leaves every 30 minutes and ask any official to direct you to the ferry port. It is to the left of where the ship docks and you can see it- not a far walk at all.

San Juan is such a great port to get off the ship! The ship docks in walking distance from old San Juan which is directly across the street. Just walk right past all the people trying to sell tours as you don't need one. It was quite hot and humid and very crowded which made the day somewhat less enjoyable. The city is really quaint though and so well worth doing. If you've never toured the fort, that is fun too as there are great views from there. We got in free with our national park passes. The charge is only 3 dollars, or something like that.

The ferry leaves every 30 minutes and ask any official to direct you to the ferry port. It is to the left of where the ship docks and you can see it- not a far walk at all.

This is excellent information. Thank you. We have been to San Juan twice and this is the first I have heard about this. You learn so much on CC. LOL

Thanks ShadowLover for a great review. We will be onboard the CB this fall and I really enjoy reading all the reviews, too. As we will be cruising out of San Juan your information about the Bacardi tour was very helpful. The ship does not depart until 11 pm so we may do the tour in the afternoon. Did you happen to notice their hours of operation. Just want to make sure we don't go too late for the tour.

If you have any coffee coupons left, I would love to try the specialty coffees. Thank you for offering!

Thanks for the great review. We leave in 8 days and are looking quite forward to it. Can you tell me who the cruise director's staff may be? We had Tim Donovan last year and his staff were great. We didn't really see him much, so can't comment there.

Thanks,

Freddie

Archived