Glory 9A Aft Cabin Question...

tispwisp

We are planning on sailing on the Carnival Glory late spring to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. I am going to book a 9A aft cabin - love the idea of a wrap around balcony and aft cabins are our favorite.

If any of you can answer any of these questions for me, it might make my decision easier on which deck to choose!!!

On the deck plans it looks like the balconies on the upper & verandah are wider than the Empress Deck balconies. Is this a great difference?

It also looks like the cabins on the Empress Deck are larger, is this true?

Finally, if I choose the Verandah deck will there be much noise from the pool deck above?

This is our first Carnival Cruise and we are looking forward to it! Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

Had a 9a on the Triumph which I believe is just like the Glory. We were on the Verandah deck, If we had to do it again I think we would book one deck lower to the Empress deck.

There is an area just above the cabin on the Lido deck where there is a stairwell that the crew will take their breaks and congerate, You can hear them moving chairs around late at night and early in the morning. Not postive but I believe they were even smoking in that location.

I would pick the Empress Deck Corner aft cabin over the Verandah even if the balcony is a little smaller, from deck plans I'm looking at the Cabins on the Empress do look larger then the ones on the Verandah Deck.

Jimbo:)

I had a cabin on Veranda deck wraparound balcony and I loved it, we never had any noise and it was so convient to everything. Just a one deck walk to the Lido to get coffee in the morning and pools. We never had a problem with noise from the Lido or the crew stairway as it was hardly ever used and my hubby used it more then the crew to get our coffee in the morning. I have a corner 9A on Veranda deck booked on the Valor for this April, the front of the balcony is not very private but the side which is quite long is very private and we enjoyed sitting out there and the view is spectacular. I am sure which ever deck you choose you will love but you can't beat the corner wrap balconies, let us know which one you choose. Linda

Ok I will prob get flamed here- we had one of those booked for this coming May on the Glory- when we were last on the Glory- I got to take a peek at the cabin I had booked- deck 7. There is no couch in the room, only 2 small chairs and a small table.

The cabin was odd shaped and of course had a lot of windows- the people who were on there said they had a hard time keeping it cool---now the balcony was wonderful.

If you plan to spend A LOT of time on the balcony go for it-

I canx the cabin and booked a bal cabin very aft- I couldnt justify the xtra price--250.00 more per person--I just really didnt like the cabin.

We have stayed in 6483 on the Glory (we PICKED that deck and cabin#). The cabin was so-so (a little extra space) but the balcony was WHY we picked that cabin. Handy location (1 deck above LOTS of activity) ... we are not big LIDO deck fans, so the proximity to the lower decks was key... why sweat the LIDO crowd when you have a HUGE balcony... your own private "funnel deck":D

(We never had cooling problems in ours)

The aft corners are our FAVORITE - though the corners on SPIRIT class ships are the BEST Carnival has to offer, IHMO! (link to pics below)

Tom

There is also another interesting feature for those aft corners on DECK 6:

Your cabin door opens into a small hall which is shared with the side 8A cabin. There is an ADDITIONAL door to the main hall - this provides a great buffer to any "main" hall noise - which we DID experience on the Glory in July of 03 when we sailed in a standard mid-ship 8A. In that cabin (8A) you could hear conversations while in your room as people walked down the hall... THROUGH YOUR DOOR (there are louvered vents in the cabin doors on the Glory!)

Tom

The reason aft cabins are hard to keep cool is the balconies get very hot as there is no ocean breezes. We learned to keep the curtains closed during the day time. Found our cabin a lot cooler midweek.

There is also another interesting feature for those aft corners on DECK 6:

Your cabin door opens into a small hall which is shared with the side 8A cabin. There is an ADDITIONAL door to the main hall - this provides a great buffer to any "main" hall noise - which we DID experience on the Glory in July of 03 when we sailed in a standard mid-ship 8A. In that cabin (8A) you could hear conversations while in your room as people walked down the hall... THROUGH YOUR DOOR (there are louvered vents in the cabin doors on the Glory!)

Tom

Why would they have louvered vents in the cabin doors???

No noise whatsoever... though my son (who was in 6475) did have a frequent THUMP THUMP THUMP...

When you look at the deck plan (http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=GL&deckCode=5 ) you can see that the Ebony Cabaret is not really under 6483, but certainly is under 6475.

Tom

Tom - Thanks for all of your input! We are planning to book your old cabin! We spend a lot of time on our balcony and so this will be perfect. We, too, do not like to be around the crowds on the pool deck. Although - I think we will try the slide ;) !

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread! I'm sure I will have tons of additional Carnival questions that I will be posting along the way!!!

Why would they have louvered vents in the cabin doors???

I would guess for some ventilation - air pressure concerns...! This is one reason that we travel HEAVY.. we pack a sound machine and a fan (good airflow and noise blocking reasons)... not to mention a 12" speaker box (sub) with satellite speakers to hook up to about 2000 songs on our laptop... actually the list goes on and on :D

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

tell me more about the aft cabin balconies. We are in 8450 on Veranda Deck and I read a post here that the dividers are slanted and you lose some privacy ??? Can strollers on the decks above look down at the aft balcony??

avid: here is a picture of the aft. on the COnquest. The balconies on the aft are slanted. The people above can see down into your balcony but only if you stand at the railing. http://community.webshots.com/photo/93847874/93853128svWgyq

There are no balconies above yours so I dont think anyone will be looking down into your balcony. The dividers on each side of your balcony is slanted and again the only time you can see into the balcony is if standing at the railing. You can also see through the dividers- its like a frosted plexiglass. You could see shadows. But thats also the case on the side too.

Archived