best way to find cheapest cruise for family/larger group

FOURunderFOUR

We have 5 kids and are looking to book our next cruise. I don't really care where we go as much as where we leave from (FL preferred, or wherever else we can fly to cheaply from upstate NY). Is there any place where I can search and find some of the "hidden" options available for 5 or more in a cabin? We cruised MSC last year and took my mom and dad plus our 5 kids for around $1600 TOTAL! Yes, it was most likely one time deal that we will never match again. But how do I find who has the cheapest 3rd and 4th passenger rates, who allows 5 per cabin, whose suites allow more and are reasonable, etc. I am getting so overwhelmed trying to figure all of this out. I know Carnival and NCL sometimes offer $99 3rd and 4th rates. Is this only specific times of the year? Is it well posted? We are looking for Jan-Mar 2010 cruises and I am not seeing anything listed regarding those rates. I know MSC offers free kids. Costa does too but only on selected rooms and selected sailings, it seems. Does anyone else have free or deeply reduced kid prices?

thanks so much.

j

I know how it is trying to save money when travelling/vacationing with a family. I'd rather spend my money on the "extras" then on the fares. I have seen NCL list prices for the 3rd and 4th from 99-199 on a regular basis. I haven't seen carnival do anything lower then 150ish so I'd say that 99 would be a special. I would look to try to save on the travel if you can. There can be huge savings to be found if you opt to not fly (if possible). I did a mock booking on amtrack from NY to FL and found that 5 can go for 840 total round trip. The only drawback is the 24-30 hours on the train ride. I don't know the ages of your children but suspect that the money saved might not be worth the aggrevation of their boredom. Personally I'd do it with my 6 year old but not with my 3 year old. He'd drive everyone nuts on the whole ride LOL.

Anyways I'd look at maybe trying to save some money on travel where you can. That'd help offset any non deals on the 3rd and 4th pax and open up alot more possibilities.

Once you settle on a ship, check prices for both 2 connecting rooms and a suite....2 rooms will give you more privacy, but you'll have the immediate access that the connecting door will give you. Most times, 2 rooms is cheaper than a suite.

thanks for the ideas. Is there any one site that lets you know when a particular line is having the $99/199 deals or do you have to look at each site specifically? We do have a TA and she is looking for us. I am just too Type A to sit back and let someone else do the work. Plus I want to find the best deal.

I wish we could save on travel. The train may be a possibility especially if a portion of the travel is overnight. I think the novelty of it would last for a while, and then hopefully they would sleep for part of it. My kids are currently ages 9mos to 6 years. We want to cruise in late Jan/early Feb so the kids will be 17mos to 6 1/2 years approximately. Last year, we flew in the day before, which worked well. However, we found tickets under $200 from NY to FLL and we had $800 in travel vouchers on Delta, so with the baby flying free we were able to fly all 7 of us for around $400! No way to match that again.

Thanks

NCL has a $99 promotion right now for Jan. I was going to book the Jewel but I decided I loved the 9 nt Dawn better and 3rd and 4th were $199

was this in the last few days? I know they had a $99 promo in June 16-19, but now all I can find is $149 or $199, and some are as high as 309. Do you remember which week it was?

thanks

j

I usually cruise with my parents in the same cabin, so am used to checking the 3rd/4th person rates. Unfortunately, I haven't found any more efficient way to check than to price individual cruises and scour the 'net for specials. Sign up for as many TA/cruise line email lists as possible, as they usually will publicize such specials.

Other than NCL, I have found the best 3rd/4th person rates with Holland America. Despite their reputation as an 'older' line, I saw many children on our Noordam 10-day cruise last January, all of whom seemed to be having a wonderful time. And as I payed less than $200 for the 3rd person in the cabin, the total ended up being much less than I could find anywhere else. I have also seen $99 specials on certain HAL cruises, and a couple of months ago HAL were even offering free 3rd/4th person rates on some cruises!

Thanks Twickenham. I will start checking HAL too. Hubby wanted to try them out anyway! free 3rd and 4th would be awesome! That is basically what is it on MSC as kids are free. I will sign up for more email lists too!

J

Hi! I know Disney lines have cabins with 1-1/2 baths and can be shared with a family of five because they have sleeping areas in their living room. Also, Royal Caribbean has alcoves in their family cabins. They say that a family of up to six could stay in one of these cabins. Check out this link for some advice on how to find cheap family cruises: http://*****/hub/Cheap-Family-Cruises. Good luck!

Archived