Alaska Cruise - never been looking for information

Masks38

Hi, some friends and I are debating on taking a cruise to Alaska, never been, but looking for some information.

Looking to go the last week of August. Is that a good time to go? Will the weather still be decent.

How cold does it really get, I'm Canadian so would it be like 10-15 degrees.

From what I've been reading, sounds like would pack fall weather clothes, no tanks or shorts. For evening wear would we bother with dresses or just bring suites or dresspants/blouses.

Do we really need a parka and full rain gear does that mean rain coat and rain pants?

For the ship/cruise line, which one attracts a younger crowd, we are 30 something females, don't want to be on a ship of all seniors, absolutely nothing against seniors, but we want to have some fun.

Any other input would be helpful. :):)

Thanks.

Hi, some friends and I are debating on taking a cruise to Alaska, never been, but looking for some information.

Looking to go the last week of August. Is that a good time to go? Will the weather still be decent. been in july and it was cool and rainy many days. so some sun.

How cold does it really get, I'm Canadian so would it be like 10-15 degrees. maybe a little warmer-i would than 12 to 16 during the day.

From what I've been reading, sounds like would pack fall weather clothes, no tanks or shorts. For evening wear would we bother with dresses or just bring suites or dresspants/blouses. also take a bathing suit for hot tubs and sauna. i wore pants and dressy tops. formal nigts i wore dresses. iwore sandals at night o n the ship-had a wrap to go take pictures.

Do we really need a parka and full rain gear does that mean rain coat and rain pants? never owned rain pants but wore raincoat with a hood. i wore flesse but it was early july

For the ship/cruise line, which one attracts a younger crowd, we are 30 something females, don't want to be on a ship of all seniors, absolutely nothing against seniors, but we want to have some fun. alaska in general gets an older crowd-some familes but school starts in Augsut in many states.

Any other input would be helpful. :):)

if you can afford a balcony get one. it will be cold but wrap up-you will want to be out here taking pictures at all hours.

Thanks.

plan for cold and rian and you will be ok.

Layers are the answer, not the parkas. :) Bring along knit hats and gloves as well. IF you plan on spending all your sailing time out on deck, then the rain gear is a good option, if less, then a waterproof jacket/long poncho will work. Take 2 pair of walking shoes.

You still need decent clothes for evening dining, you list is fine, except for formal night perhaps. But there will be alternative options available for food.

Yes, correct, you essentially will have no use for your shorts and tanks. This also isn't a "fun" sailing itinerary, of which I am assuming you are referring to, like the Caribbean with pool deck endless activities??? Sorry, this may not be for you. Bulk of passengers will be middle aged and above, on all lines, but certainly all ages sail. There are no party ships in Alaska, including Carnival, which is similiar to all the other lines.

We just returned home from Alaska, RCCL, and there were a LOT of kids on the ship. And, my husband and I are mid30s - and I would say 50% of those on the cruise were our age.

I actually felt a bit sad that I'd left my children at home since there were so many on board, they would have had a lot of fun.

I saw numerous groups of women traveling together on our cruise.... they all looked to be having a great time.

We are from the Midwest, where it was in the 100s (F) when we left. We dressed in layers, I made good use of my hoodies and windbreaker. I was very glad to have gloves... and I wish I'd had a raincoat. It rained a lot while we were at sea. Thankfully, they days we were on shore were pretty dry. Cold, but dry. On our formal nights I wore a tank style dress with a wrap and was plenty warm.

I loved Alaska and really want to do it agaiN!!!

On our 1st visit to Alaska, we went the last of Aug/1st of Sept. My husband wore shorts & hiking boots all the time, except for the time we cruised to the glacier. BUT, he's extremely hot natured too! Dress in layers. Take a backpack that can hold your clothing as the days warm up. It probably will be 30-50 degrees at any of the ports. Sept & Oct are the wettest months, so expect rain! And more rain!

We hiked up to see a rainforest & waterfall in Wrangell. We started off with a rain slicker, lightweight jacket, sweater, & long sleeve turtleneck. By the time, we desended, we just had the long sleeve turtleneck & the rain slicker.

Alaska cruises, IMO, are for relaxing & sightseeing. Some cruises seem to have more 20-40 year olds than others (Carnival). I think you will see a more tame group that go to bed early on other cruise ships.

Hope this helps.

Archived