Vision of the Sea or the Brillance

I am looking at the med for September 2010. Even though the iteninaries are different. which ship do you prefer. I have not been on either one although we are platium members of RCCL. We generally sail on Celebrity.

Being that VOS is a 4 star ship and the Brillance a 5 star ship. What does that really mean with RCCL. Is the food and service the same? Is the 4 star rated because there aren't any alternative dining options. Of course the Brillance is a new ship.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If the itinerary were identical, I would probably choose Brilliance since it is newer, and has more amenities. But, in my opinion, for the Med the itinerary is trump. I would not choose a less desirable itinerary just to be on a newer ship. I have sailed on Splendour [also a Vision class but not identical to Vision], and had a great time. On Med cruises, there is a lot to be said for smaller ships as well --you bring less of a crowd with you to port among other reasons.

If the itinerary were identical, I would probably choose Brilliance since it is newer, and has more amenities. But, in my opinion, for the Med the itinerary is trump. I would not choose a less desirable itinerary just to be on a newer ship. I have sailed on Splendour [also a Vision class but not identical to Vision], and had a great time. On Med cruises, there is a lot to be said for smaller ships as well --you bring less of a crowd with you to port among other reasons.

Good point about the smaller ship in Europe. Would you say the service is the small on both ships?

Without question the Brilliance!! Have done it twice (also been on the Vision) No comparison!

yt

I am looking at the med for September 2010. Even though the iteninaries are different. which ship do you prefer. I have not been on either one although we are platium members of RCCL. We generally sail on Celebrity.

Being that VOS is a 4 star ship and the Brillance a 5 star ship. What does that really mean with RCCL. Is the food and service the same? Is the 4 star rated because there aren't any alternative dining options. Of course the Brillance is a new ship.

Good point about the smaller ship in Europe. Would you say the service is the small on both ships?
To be clear, I have not been on Briliance or Vision. I have done a Med cruise on Splendour [Vision class] and have nothing but good to say about it. I know many people love Brilliance and I do not doubt it is a great ship.

I have cruised the newest [and currently biggest] RCI ship [independence] and the oldest [Monarch]. I have found service as in the attitude of the staff, willingness to help, friendliness etc. to be consistent on all ships I have been on. Brilliance is newer, slightly bigger, and has more "stuff" [specialty restaurants] and all things being equal, I would pick her. But Vision class are great ships. I again say that I would pick the itinerary over choice of ship for a Med cruise. My second tie break would be price. If itinerary and price are comparable, I would consider the ship.

If this is your first Med cruise, my one recommendation would be -- do not miss Venice.

I don't know how many times you've sailed RCI or if this is the first time you've sailed the Med so sorry in advance if I'm telling you something you already know.

I believe it would be madness to pick a cruise just for the ship especially in the Med where itinerary is more important and most of your days will be spent onshore.

I have sailed on Brilliance which is a lovely ship and I also have a cruise booked on Vision which I chose because it goes to the ports I want to go to and IMHO has a better itinerary. Another point to bear in mind ... the smaller ships can go to ports the bigger ships can't.

The quality of service will be no different and RCI ships tend to run the same theme throughout the fleet. Windjammer/Schooner Bar/Centrum/ etc and all the menus in the main dining room are pretty much the same. The only difference between the two classes is size and I don't think Vision has the speciality restuarants that Brilliance has. After my recent cruise on Independence I can honestly say that bigger isn't always better :) Also don't be put off by the age thing... RCI looks after it's ships and you won't find any threadbare carpets.

I say go for itinerary :)

I don't know how many times you've sailed RCI or if this is the first time you've sailed the Med so sorry in advance if I'm telling you something you already know.

I believe it would be madness to pick a cruise just for the ship especially in the Med where itinerary is more important and most of your days will be spent onshore.

I have sailed on Brilliance which is a lovely ship and I also have a cruise booked on Vision which I chose because it goes to the ports I want to go to and IMHO has a better itinerary. Another point to bear in mind ... the smaller ships can go to ports the bigger ships can't.

The quality of service will be no different and RCI ships tend to run the same theme throughout the fleet. Windjammer/Schooner Bar/Centrum/ etc and all the menus in the main dining room are pretty much the same. The only difference between the two classes is size and I don't think Vision has the speciality restuarants that Brilliance has. After my recent cruise on Independence I can honestly say that bigger isn't always better :) Also don't be put off by the age thing... RCI looks after it's ships and you won't find any threadbare carpets.

I say go for itinerary :)

Last May we were on Celebrity Galaxy out of Civitivechia and was art of the med and Greek Islands. This was a fantastic trip. Unfortunately Celebrity prices are way over the top and the itineraries are the same nothing exciting. I have also been to Europe on Land, I couldn't agree more Venice is wonderful. I hear Croatia is even more beautiful the Venice.

The Vision of the Sea has the following itoineraries

Sat Sep 11 Copenhagen, Denmark 5:00pm

Sun Sep 12 At Sea

Mon Sep 13 Amsterdam, Holland 8:00am 5:30pm

Tue Sep 14 Brussels, Belgium 7:00am 5:00pm

Wed Sep 15 Paris (Le Havre), France 7:00am 9:00pm

Thu Sep 16 At Sea

Fri Sep 17 At Sea

Sat Sep 18 Malaga, Spain 10:00am 7:00pm

Sun Sep 19 Ibiza, Spain 2:00pm 10:00pm

Mon Sep 20 At Sea

Tue Sep 21 Valletta, Malta 10:00am 6:00pm

Wed Sep 22 At Sea

Thu Sep 23 Split, Croatia 7:00am 4:00pm

Fri Sep 24 Venice, Italy 6:00am

Brillance

Sun Sep 12 Barcelona, Spain 6:00pm

Mon Sep 13 Cannes, France 10:00am 8:00pm

Tue Sep 14 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Wed Sep 15 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Thu Sep 16 Naples / Capri (Sorrento), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Fri Sep 17 At Sea

Sat Sep 18 Venice, Italy 1:30pm

Sun Sep 19 Venice, Italy 2:00pm

Mon Sep 20 Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00am 6:00pm

Tue Sep 21 Corfu, Greece 7:00am 7:00pm

Wed Sep 22 At Sea

Thu Sep 23 At Sea

Fri Sep 24 Barcelona, Spain 6:00am

As you see they are entirely different itineraries. Of course the Briillance is more expensive however airfare could make it up on the Vision being that we would have to make one way air fare. Who knows what the economy will be like next year.

The reason I was concerned about the age of the ship, I was on the Empress two years ago to Bermuda it was a terrible trip. The staff was lacking, our waiter at dinner was the worst ever on a cruise. The main lobby carpet was very dirty. I was surprised to see carpet there too, no wonder it was dirty with all the traffic.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, they are very different!

Of the two, personally I like the Brilliance itinerary but I can see why you like the Vision one too. I can't recommend Vision as I haven't sailed on her ... yet :) but I can vouch for Brilliance, she is a beautiful ship - I think Radiance class is the one that most people like the best so I don't think you could go wrong choosing her.

We nearly booked the Brilliance Med/Venice itinerary last year but chose the Med/Greek Isles one in the end because it was slightly cheaper. I'd still love to do that itinerary though ... maybe 2012 (I've got the Fjords to do first) lol!

We are on Vision in Oct 2010 which sails from Venice :D to Egypt, Israel & Croatia :D It took me ages to make my mind up because I liked Brilliance so much but the ports won in the end!

I hope you manage to decide, it's not easy is it?!

I sailed on Vision recently, and have sailed on Radiance.

I think it ultimately depends on the individual. Some like the smaller ship, others the larger. I think we can all agree that Brilliance is far more beautiful, inside and out, and has more stuff to see and do onboard, such as the pool tables, outdoor cafe at the aft, etc.

But I think food and service will simply vary according to when you're cruising on them. For example, I've sailed on Voyager class ships 4 times, 5 if you count Liberty, and 2 times out of the 5 I was a little disappointed with the food and service.

We've sailed on both ships and prefer Brilliance. The amenities and alternatives for eating are better. Deck 6 on Brilliance with the bar and restaraunts is great. Seaview Cafe is a plus and Windjammer is a better design.

I would let the itinerary dictate which ship you take. I have been on both ships and like them both, but side by side if I had the choice I would take the Brilliance. Even though they "similar" the Brillance and all the Radiance class are my preference. Ditto on the Seaview and the layout of the WJ.

Thank you for your input. I guess I'll watch the price since I like both trips for different reason. YOu all certainly have given me something to think about.

Does anyone know the difference between 4 star and 5 star on RCCL?

I think it is a compilation of the various ratings given in reviews of the respective ships. It is not any sort of scientific/expert evaluation. Since it is very subjective, and some reviewers dock a ship points simply based on age or size, I generally discount minor variations. I wouldn't worry about a 4 vs. a 5.

The Vision of the Sea has the following itoineraries

Sat Sep 11 Copenhagen, Denmark 5:00pm

Sun Sep 12 At Sea

Mon Sep 13 Amsterdam, Holland 8:00am 5:30pm

Tue Sep 14 Brussels, Belgium 7:00am 5:00pm

Wed Sep 15 Paris (Le Havre), France 7:00am 9:00pm

Thu Sep 16 At Sea

Fri Sep 17 At Sea

Sat Sep 18 Malaga, Spain 10:00am 7:00pm

Sun Sep 19 Ibiza, Spain 2:00pm 10:00pm

Mon Sep 20 At Sea

Tue Sep 21 Valletta, Malta 10:00am 6:00pm

Wed Sep 22 At Sea

Thu Sep 23 Split, Croatia 7:00am 4:00pm

Fri Sep 24 Venice, Italy 6:00am

Brillance

Sun Sep 12 Barcelona, Spain 6:00pm

Mon Sep 13 Cannes, France 10:00am 8:00pm

Tue Sep 14 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Wed Sep 15 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Thu Sep 16 Naples / Capri (Sorrento), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Fri Sep 17 At Sea

Sat Sep 18 Venice, Italy 1:30pm

Sun Sep 19 Venice, Italy 2:00pm

Mon Sep 20 Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00am 6:00pm

Tue Sep 21 Corfu, Greece 7:00am 7:00pm

Wed Sep 22 At Sea

Thu Sep 23 At Sea

Fri Sep 24 Barcelona, Spain 6:00am

I said above I would pick itinerary over ship. Based on these choices, I would do Brilliance. You get two days in Venice, and more time in Italy. You also get Dubrovnik rather than Split. I have been to Dubrovnik and thought it was great. People who have been to both seem to prefer Dubrovnik. You also get more of Italy AND it is round trip to Barcelona which should make airfare a bit easier -- that would be my preference. On the other hand, you have been to Italy recently and thus may prefer to do the northern itinerary. If so, I would not at all hesitate to book the itinerary you prefer because of the ship. If you do choose the northern route, you might consider flying round trip to Frankfurt and then taking the train or a commuter flight to your embarkation in Copenhagen and from the termination in Venice. That way you can avoid the one way international airfare hassles

In the Caribbean I would be concerned with the ship - in the Mediterranean I would absolutely go with the ports.

We sailed on the Legend last year, and although it's a smaller ship we loved the ports. We were very happy with our decision.

In my opinion look closely at the ports and make your decision based on them.

More importantly -you will have a great time!!!!!!

We've sailed on the Brilliance four times and it, obviously, is our favorite ship. Our last cruise in the fall was the Venice/ Med itinerary on her and was our best cruise ever.

Aubie

Re: Are you a turtle?

You bet your sweet @ss I am!

(not really sure what it means, but at least I knew the answer)

:)Debbie

I just came off the Brilliance and that specific itinerary (6/15). From a ship to ship comparison, Brilliance wins in my book as it is my favorite class of RCCL ships. The itinerary varies in the number of days at seas -- 5 for Vision and 3 for Brilliance. Do you want more or less sea days? I enjoyed the 3 days we had - especially the 2 at the end after hitting all the ports!

Re: Are you a turtle?

You bet your sweet @ss I am!

(not really sure what it means, but at least I knew the answer)

:)Debbie

That is so funny I use to hear my parents stay that. But they would say are you a member of the turtle club,lol:-)

I just came off the Brilliance and that specific itinerary (6/15). From a ship to ship comparison, Brilliance wins in my book as it is my favorite class of RCCL ships. The itinerary varies in the number of days at seas -- 5 for Vision and 3 for Brilliance. Do you want more or less sea days? I enjoyed the 3 days we had - especially the 2 at the end after hitting all the ports!

What makes the Brilllance your favorite class of ships? How do they differ from The Vision?

I agree with Threeofus and almost typed it. If both were in the Caribbean, I'd go Brilliance. In your case, I'd go with whichever itinerary you prefer. I HAVE seen many people say the Brilliance is their favorite ship.

My guess is they consider one 4-star and the other 5-star simply because the Brill is newer and has more amenities. But I think the food and service will be the same.

Archived