Thoughts on Mariner - June 24/09

Roland4

There were things we really liked about the cruise and some we didn't. That being said, I think our cruise was probably not the norm.

Raiderette, I'm going to try to keep that in mind if I ever think about doing a Regent cruise again. As I said before, it fell below our expectations, so when people say that this cruise wasn't the norm, it makes me feel better to know that not all Regent cruises are like this.

Why didn't you guys do a roll call and agree to meet somewhere? :p

We did, but for some reason or other the idea of setting up a meeting on the ship never came up in the conversation. Maybe we thought we would all "recognize" each other once onboard???:rolleyes::D

We did, but for some reason or other the idea of setting up a meeting on the ship never came up in the conversation. Maybe we thought we would all "recognize" each other once onboard???:rolleyes::D

I remember asking if we were having an organized get together, but when no one answered, I figured no one wanted to.

I remember asking if we were having an organized get together, but when no one answered, I figured no one wanted to.

I must have missed that conversation. I guess we all thought we would recognize flip flop with socks. :D I just read Rally's post on another thread about steerage. Way funny. I guess we had a missed opportunity. :(

I must have missed that conversation. I guess we all thought we would recognize flip flop with socks. :D

That's what we should've done...everyone from our roll call should've worn flip flops with socks. There'd be no missing each other!

Yep, I ordered the 14 layer cake (even got a picture of it...LOL). And I knew that was you sitting in front of us on the Tracy Arm trip! I remember you saying to someone that you were from Toronto and a travel agent. My first thought was, "Roland from our roll call is from Toronto, I wonder if that's him." I was going to say something, but I wasn't 100% sure it was you, so I didn't. Now when I was on the bus to the airport and Rally was sitting diagonally from me, I knew with 100% certainty that it was him. I wish I wouldv'e said something to you.

Well at least we got to "meet" this way. And we did get to vicariously share your chocolate cake in Prime 7. We both looked at it and said "That's a LOT of chocolate!" and then ordered something else!!!!!:D

Well at least we got to "meet" this way. And we did get to vicariously share your chocolate cake in Prime 7. We both looked at it and said "That's a LOT of chocolate!" and then ordered something else!!!!!:D

I had to order it just to see what it looked like. Everyone in my group was asking, "Are there really 14 layers???" My response was, "It says 14 on the plate...there must be!" LOL

I didn't want to belabour the point about the coffee in my review, but it happened everywhere we went. It even happened in the Coffee Connection the one time we tried it out!:eek: I was beginning to think it was just me!:D

Weird about the coffee --- I had espresso every night with desert and it was always delivered promptly along with the dessert. With only one barrista working the Coffee Connection I can see how there might be a delay if they are busy, but again had no problem (by the way . . . was my wife the only one try the "Chocolate Russion?" Good lord!

That looks delicious. What was the sauce? I would probably order it only if others would share it with me.

It was a vanilla bean sauce. And yes, I had a little help and still wasn't able to finish it.

We were a bit too far away to be certain, but it appearred the adults were all at another table, obviously enjoying an "adult" dinner. I did see one of them at the table one time. The children weren't doing anything "out of the ordibary", like having a food fight, but they were being children, and when you get eight of them together the volume does tend to go up. And up.
We didn't see this but it sounds rude and inconsiderate on the part of the parents (more than one set I presume?) Perhaps Regent should consider a policy prohibiting children-only tables?

We didn't see this but it sounds rude and inconsiderate on the part of the parents (more than one set I presume?) Perhaps Regent should consider a policy prohibiting children-only tables?

I believe I was sitting at the table next to them & was curious about the lack of supervision. (Thought they must have been some big-shot cruise alum's relatives.) But I thought they were fairly well behaved, at least compared to my nieces & nephews:cool:.

Hi all, with all our chatter on the roll call, I figure if we had met on board, we probably would have been asked to quiet down! I have only cruised NCL before so luxury cruising was new to me. I absolutely loved the cruise--it wasn't perfect to me but it was very very nice. We did not "want" for anything. Every time you turned around, there was a waiter or steward there to help you. We noticed just a few minor bumps in the road but nothing that would make us shy away from Regent again. Loved all the fish choices everywhere, and my husband had a great ribeye in Compass, and luckily our lobster in Prime 7 wasn't overcooked. Our family favorites were some of the soups served on board at lunchtime-even the ones at the pool grill and La Verandah. And the creme brule YUMMO! Also loved all the pastries (chocolate croissants esp.!) and cookies. Loved having breakfast at the coffee bar (esp. the mueslix w/ fresh fruit!), never had any trouble with coffee service there. I also loved using the cappucino machine as an alternative to the barrista. The "house" wines for dinner were quite tasty. And Rally, yep, we had the Russian coffee drinks and they were delicious!

In addition, we saw a few of the shows-they were alright- but my daughter and I really liked the broadway style show. A group of us adults went to some of the lounges and the bar a few of the evenings and we never ran into the rowdy crowds. As a matter of fact, the bar was usually "dead" and it became a joke with us. "Where is everybody?" I guess our timing was good. The only rude people we encountered were an elderly couple in the elevator who refused to move back for us to get on. The woman was blocking us with her walker and they were the only 2 people on the whole elevator! Maybe Regent should have hired her to handle the out of control tweens...

Hi all, with all our chatter on the roll call, I figure if we had met on board, we probably would have been asked to quiet down! I have only cruised NCL before so luxury cruising was new to me. I absolutely loved the cruise--it wasn't perfect to me but it was very very nice. We did not "want" for anything. Every time you turned around, there was a waiter or steward there to help you. We noticed just a few minor bumps in the road but nothing that would make us shy away from Regent again. Loved all the fish choices everywhere, and my husband had a great ribeye in Compass, and luckily our lobster in Prime 7 wasn't overcooked. Our family favorites were some of the soups served on board at lunchtime-even the ones at the pool grill and La Verandah. And the creme brule YUMMO! Also loved all the pastries (chocolate croissants esp.!) and cookies. Loved having breakfast at the coffee bar (esp. the mueslix w/ fresh fruit!), never had any trouble with coffee service there. I also loved using the cappucino machine as an alternative to the barrista. The "house" wines for dinner were quite tasty. And Rally, yep, we had the Russian coffee drinks and they were delicious!

In addition, we saw a few of the shows-they were alright- but my daughter and I really liked the broadway style show. A group of us adults went to some of the lounges and the bar a few of the evenings and we never ran into the rowdy crowds. As a matter of fact, the bar was usually "dead" and it became a joke with us. "Where is everybody?" I guess our timing was good. The only rude people we encountered were an elderly couple in the elevator who refused to move back for us to get on. The woman was blocking us with her walker and they were the only 2 people on the whole elevator! Maybe Regent should have hired her to handle the out of control tweens...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience on Regent (in spite of the rude people in the elevator). From what we are reading on the Regent threads, your experience was not as good as it could have been. If you find another itinerary you like and try sailing at a time when school is in session, you might actually "love" Regent. Just curious -- what was your reference to "out of control tweens" about?????

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience on Regent (in spite of the rude people in the elevator). From what we are reading on the Regent threads, your experience was not as good as it could have been. If you find another itinerary you like and try sailing at a time when school is in session, you might actually "love" Regent. Just curious -- what was your reference to "out of control tweens" about?????

Just jumping in here, FabFam, to guess you were talking about a group of very young teens out of control enough for one of them to break both arms. I don't think "out of control teens" is appropriate, though; better "irresponsible parents." What in the world were they thinking????

For those of you who have not experienced it, Chocolate Russion in the Coffee Connection is a shot of vodka (ask for your favorite brand) mixed with fresh made and steamed hot chocolate, served in a stemmed glass, with whipped creme if you ask. A perfect eye-opener on a cold Alaska morning =)

Just so there is no doubt, despite the fun we have relating the incidents, etc. on our cruise, we had a WONDERFUL time and applaud Regent for the way everything was handled. We will be back aboard (Voyager) in about 6 weeks and can hardly wait. Then Voyager again in February.

For those of you who have not experienced it, Chocolate Russion in the Coffee Connection is a shot of vodka (ask for your favorite brand) mixed with fresh made and steamed hot chocolate, served in a stemmed glass, with whipped creme if you ask. A perfect eye-opener on a cold Alaska morning =)

That drink sounds exceptionally yummy -- thanks for sharing!

That drink sounds exceptionally yummy -- thanks for sharing!

Last weekend I offered to make one for my wife, mary and she was excited. . . . until I pulled out the pre-measured packet of "hot chocolatemix" and the "use before 12-23-2014" whipped creme bottle and she asked me, "What in the WORLD are you doing? That is NOT what I had in the Coffee Connection." Geez, cruising stinks =)

Last weekend I offered to make one for my wife, mary and she was excited. . . . until I pulled out the pre-measured packet of "hot chocolatemix" and the "use before 12-23-2014" whipped creme bottle and she asked me, "What in the WORLD are you doing? That is NOT what I had in the Coffee Connection." Geez, cruising stinks =)

Haha...I'm still waiting for someone to pick up my towels in the bathroom :D

Archived