Worth it?

back to the islands

To go out to the reef snorkeling by boat??? Or better to catch Conch Train and just explore? (Isn't that the hop on / off?) Is there time to do both? Thanks!

Doing both depends on when you get in and out of Key West.

1. You could do a morning snorkel trip. Most of the boats board at 9:30 - 10:00 depending on the season, and get back by 1:00 - 1:30. The Trolley, which is not a hoho, lasts about 90 minutes and leaves every 30 minutes from near the Wreckers Museum. If you were to use the Fury for snorkeling, you'd leave from very closs to the docks and get back within a 5 - 10 minute walk to the Conch Train.

2. You could do the Conch Train first, then do an afternoon snorkel. These trips board 1:00 - 1:30 depending on the season and get back 4:00 - 4:30. Same deal here in that the train leaves from a 10 minute walk from the docks and returns close to where the Fury departs.

Doing # 2 means you will not be damp from the snorkeling for the Conch Train.

Pjk

I meant the hop on / hop off one. Is the snorkeling really good off the reef in Key West?

It's impossible to say. Visibility depends on the weather on the several days begore you go with winds raising swells which churn up the sand making visiblilty poorer. What you see seems to depend on chance. Some days you will see rays and baracuda, multi-colored Parrot fish, maybe a nurse shark, lobsters if you peek underbeagh rocks, and maybe even a sea turtle. Other days in the same area you will see very little. There's no way to tell, but if you have a choice, chances get better in the afternoon. The morning trips will tell the afternoon trips if they have had good or bad conditions so that the afternnon trips can go back or try another place.

Generally Key West snorkeling is not as good as other places, but half the fun is sailing out to the reef or sanctuary, snorkeling, then coming in with a few drinks and telling lies about what you've seen with all your new friends.

Pjk

Pjk,

Is it pretty easy to walk up and sign up for the fury before the afternoon sail? I know there are others, but since I think this is what Carnival uses, they shouldn't leave without us! That way maybe we can find out if the snorkeling has been good before we take off. You are right, the boat, the drinks, it's all good! Are there drinks included besides beer?? I can't do beer, but DH can!

Pjk,

Is it pretty easy to walk up and sign up for the fury before the afternoon sail? I know there are others, but since I think this is what Carnival uses, they shouldn't leave without us! That way maybe we can find out if the snorkeling has been good before we take off. You are right, the boat, the drinks, it's all good! Are there drinks included besides beer?? I can't do beer, but DH can!

They usually serve both Light and "heavy" beer, and white wine. This is low season through late fall so doing a Walk-up shouldn't be a problem. They usually have two boats moored right there by the cruiseship docks and there is a small Fury shop in a row of shops where you can sign up.

There is a video on their web page which shows a trip out to Sand Key. That's the Sand key lighthouse there, and the several schools of fish in the video are pretty common on a trip to Sand Key, Rock Key or the Eastern Dry Rocks (black or iridescent blue, yellow tinted).

http://www.furycat.com/key-west/snorkeling.htm

Naturally they show a trip with approx 14 people on the boat, but the color and clarity of the water in the video is not uncommon.

Pjk

Just returned from a non cruise trip to Key West. We went out with Sebago. Pleasant staff and nice boat although the Sebago catamaran had 65 people on board ( and apparently they will accommodate up to 80).The water was very clear with excellent visibility but not a particularly good fish sighting day. ( I'm sure there are good days as well- just the luck of the draw:(). We had better snorkeling at Fort Zachary State park.

The trolley was hop on hop off and a good way to get an overview of Key West.

Yes-it was not far off the beach at all and we found the snorkelling there better ( at least that day) than on the paid trip. There were umbrella and chair rentals and also a cafe for snacks so you can make a day of it if desired. There is a small entry fee for the state park.

No the trolley does not go to Fort Zachary Taylor and at $29pp would be a very expensive mode of travel.

It is a little less than a mile so you could take a taxi for probably $6-$10 depending on the number of people and then walk back taking your time shopping and sightseeing. jmho

Mike:)

I loved the snorkling on the protected reef in Key West! We saw a lot of interesting fish to include a barracuda. The current is sort of interesting when we were in the water. It rocked you back and forth just enough that you really had to work to stay away from the fire coral. When we were there, the visability was amazing....probably one of our best snorkle trips.

We vacationed last year in Key West. Since the ships can't be in the way during the sunset festival and have to be out of the area, going to it was very high on my list and we finally attended that on our visit last year...I am glad I got to go because it was neat! The cruises I have been on that stopped in Key West, it has always been way too short. It's a fun place to go and stay for a few days. You can take in everything and really enjoy it.

In general, the snorkeling at the reef is MUCH better than at Fort Zachary. The reef is extensive, with channels to explore, a range of water depths, interesting coral, as well as a great variety of fish. As Pjk mentioned, the conditions at the reef do vary quite a bit, probably more than on many islands, so it's good to try to find out about them before you go.

Also, the ride out to the reef on a catamaran is beautiful.

On the other hand, Fort Zachary is the best beach in KW, has areas shaded by tall pines as well as the beach.

Either is a great way to spend a day in KW, but for snorkeling itself, I'd choose the reef.

Archived