alaska

don24

am thinking about alaska 2010 .Now please dont attack me but one of the reasons i havent cruised carnival before is a preconseption about younger demographic on board.I would still like to try ,what do you think about my idea that alaska will be a more mature group.Im in fortys or so not a complete stick in the mud but really look forward to relaxing . if i am wrong about carnival let me know.

First... welcome to the Carnival forum!

Next... Carnival's supposed reputation isn't deserved. It's inflated and inaccurate. Now, having said that, you're right... the Alaska cruises, from all reports, are quite a bit more sedate than the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailings!

Have a great time and take a bunch of pictures to share with us!!!

:)

Carnival also has a lot of seniors, and offers a senior rate often on cabins not selling. My first cruise was a Halloween cruise where a 93 year old man was celebrating his brithday with his sisters and they all dressed as ball and chain gang in black and white stripes.

There may be more younger folks than on Princess, but similar to RCL and certainly plenty of folks much older than you on all cruises.

am thinking about alaska 2010 .Now please dont attack me but one of the reasons i havent cruised carnival before is a preconseption about younger demographic on board.I would still like to try ,what do you think about my idea that alaska will be a more mature group.Im in fortys or so not a complete stick in the mud but really look forward to relaxing . if i am wrong about carnival let me know.

I'm 62 and have been cruising on Carvival for years. Believe me . . . it is no longer the ship of "party till you drop" kids. By the way . . . my favorite cruise of all time was the one to Alaska. You will love it! My son loved it so much when we cruised there when he was 15 . . . that he now lives in Kodiak (he flies helicopters for the Coast Guard) . . . :p

it s a different experience in alaska..

while you ll enjoy the water sports, beach s and haggling with

the vendors in Carribean and Mexico..

in alaska be prepared to enjoy the views, and unspoiled landscapes..

not to mention experiencing a land that may not be the same

in the next decade..

A bunch of us (we met here on cruise critic) will be on the first round trip to Alaska from Seattle next May 2010. I'd say the majority of us are in the 40-50-60 year old range. It sounds like we're going to have a blast. Check us our at: [thread=984033]Carnival Spirit[/thread]

Done Alaska just not on Carnival. RCCL Radiance cruise tour really allows one to have a total experience in Alaska.

People are right its not beaches, hot sun and babes in bikinis, but you will have a different enjoyment going to Alaska and it is so different seeing the sunshine at 11pm and later during the summer

We are in our 50's. Did Alaska and loved it. We went Celebrity but really did not care for it - just was not for us. A little too mature for our liking. Have always gone with Carnival since and love it.

I did Alaska on Celebrity about 8 years ago and Alaska on Carnival last summer. I greatly preferred the Carnival cruise if only because the ship is more laid back than the one I was on with Celebrity. No, that doesn't mean t-shirts and shorts - its chilly after all. :) There were just more things happening on the carnival ship, which was better, even if I chose not to go to them. There was a great balance of ages on the Carnival ship - not too many young, not too many old - most seemed to be between 35 and 55. The Celebrity ship had a wonderful on board naturalist, great food, and amazing service (the Carnival food was good, the service also good).

I'm not sure how to describe it, but the Celebrity cruise made me feel kind of separate from the 'Alaskan experience' if only because the 'culture' of the ship didn't match the 'culture' of the places we visited. Carnival was more laid back and relaxed which more closely matched the atmosphere of the port towns in Alaska. Hope that makes sense. Not a knock on Celebrity, just a different experience.

We have done Alaska 2 times on the Carnival Spirit.

We found to be a good mixture of ages on the ship. Our kids had

lots of kids as well in camp their ages.

While there more seniors on Alaska than the islands. You find the cruise

to be fun for any age.

Just be aware starting in 2010 than Carnival no longer is doing one way

north and south bound trips. They will be moving the ships from

Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA. I personally don't like this move

myself. Only because I enjoy the visit to Anchorage and central Alaska after

my cruise.

I have my first Alaskan cruise booked for next year - hear the crowd is a little older. I have been on a few Carnival cruises and never found the crowd to be the typical springbreak crowd people perceive it to be. There is always a mix of ages - I like that.

Give Carnnival a try.

My wife and I were there for our HM some years ago, and it was an older crowd. We went on one excursion and the guy was talking about moose and bears that might show up and what to do if they did. I told my wife, it does not matter, we can run to the bus faster than they can.

Joke aside, I met some wonderful people that I still keep in touch with today.

Archived