Changing rooms after getting on board

bogeydi

My husband and I are booked on our third Princess cruise in October (on Emerald) and we are taking along two other couples who have never cruised before. Because we receive the past Princess discount our TA suggested we could pass that along to one of the other couples. Sooooo, my name is on one room with Mr. X, and my husband’s name is on the other room with Mrs. X. Obviously when we get on board we are going to fix it and share the appropriate rooms – but can we expect any difficulties having done this? The charging to the room should not be a problem since each passenger has their own credit card information. But we are wondering about the key situation. Has anyone ever experienced this before? :confused:

Wow! Thanks for the quick response. I thought this might have been a big "no-no". Glad to hear it will be no bid deal. Thanks for the advice - that is exactly what we will do - first thing when we board.

A little spouse swapping, very interesting.

Actually, just go to the pursers desk and they will change the cruise cards and move you and your spouse to one cabinand your friends to the other.

LOL! I guess that did sound a little like "Bob, Carol, Ted & Alice" didn't it!

Thanks for the response. Wasn't sure if I should admit what we did once I got on board. Glad to hear it's a common thing.

It's a very common thing, and you will see lots of others in line at the desk doing the same thing. We were just on the Sapphire Princess in May and we took our 19 year old daughter and her friend with us, and we had to book myself and our daughter's friend in one cabin, and my daughter and husband in the other as they were under the age of 21 which is the age requirement to book a cabin. Once onboard we just went and swithed cabin keys so the two girls were in a cabin together and my husband and I in the other... no questions asked, they just exchanged the keys for us, and a very fast and easy process. Only takes a couple minutes and your on you way with the correct cabin keys.

Enjoy your cruise.

LOL! I guess that did sound a little like "Bob, Carol, Ted & Alice" didn't it!

Thanks for the response. Wasn't sure if I should admit what we did once I got on board. Glad to hear it's a common thing.

And then again, they may very well think that it is a Bob and Carol, etc. ;) The purser's desk has heard everything.

It's a very common thing, and you will see lots of others in line at the desk doing the same thing. We were just on the Sapphire Princess in May and we took our 19 year old daughter and her friend with us, and we had to book myself and our daughter's friend in one cabin, and my daughter and husband in the other as they were under the age of 21 which is the age requirement to book a cabin. Once onboard we just went and swithed cabin keys so the two girls were in a cabin together and my husband and I in the other... no questions asked, they just exchanged the keys for us, and a very fast and easy process. Only takes a couple minutes and your on you way with the correct cabin keys.

Enjoy your cruise.

I don't understand why you had to book this way. We have our two underaged children (17 and 15) booked into THEIR OWN cabin, and their reservation is labeled "accompanied minors" and is linked to ours. I booked directly through Princess and the agent set it up this way automatically. No talk about requiring an adult in each cabin. And this is not a fluke - it was the same on our last Princess cruise and on our RCI cruises before that.

I don't understand why you had to book this way. We have our two underaged children (17 and 15) booked into THEIR OWN cabin, and their reservation is labeled "accompanied minors" and is linked to ours. I booked directly through Princess and the agent set it up this way automatically. No talk about requiring an adult in each cabin. And this is not a fluke - it was the same on our last Princess cruise and on our RCI cruises before that.

This is interesting. We are taking our 15 & 11 year olds and our travel agent booked us as one adult and one child in each cabin, which I'm guessing means we'll need to go to the purser's office to make sure the keys are right. Wish they could have just done it the way Princess did for you!!

Not sure why it was booked that way, but we were told it had to be, as someone can not book a cabin under the age of 21. It was no problem going to the purser deck and exchanging the keys, so it was no big deal to us.

I'm very surprised Princess would put two underage people in a cabin without an adult.

There have been so many incidents in the past that all the cruise lines started requiring

an adult in each cabin. I guess Princess decided to see if there would be any problems

without that.

I hope your kids cabin is close to yours......I'm sure they are mature enough to take

care of themselves, but there are a lot of other people on the ship.

I'm very surprised Princess would put two underage people in a cabin without an adult.

There have been so many incidents in the past that all the cruise lines started requiring

an adult in each cabin. I guess Princess decided to see if there would be any problems

without that.

I hope your kids cabin is close to yours......I'm sure they are mature enough to take

Yes, we always book our kids either next to us, or across the hall from us. I think a lot of TAs are under the impression that an adult must be booked into each room so they just do it that way automatically, but in our experience, both RCI and Princess allow you to book minor children into their own cabin, as long as they are "accompanied" by you. I boggles my mind that so many people insist that it cannot be done this way, when indeed it can.

Anyway, back to the OP - I took interest in this thread b/c my I need to move out of the cabin I am currently booked into with my mom and into the cabin next door so I can be with my husband. We booked it this way b/c my mom lives in a different state and was not entitled to the residency discount that we got. I'm glad to hear that it won't be a problem to arrange.

without that.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but our boys will be right next door to us. We ended up having to book more expensive cabins to be able to get them side by side.

And then again, they may very well think that it is a Bob and Carol, etc. ;) The purser's desk has heard everything.

Great! Now we'll get a reputation on the ship!:D What's even funnier is that we all attend the same church! Hope our pastor doesn't find out!:o

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the response/info. Sounds like an easy process. I wonder why Princess just doesn't allow you to designate the person who is travelling with you so that they can get the discount? Oh well - whatever works.

Thanks for the response/info. Sounds like an easy process. I wonder why Princess just doesn't allow you to designate the person who is travelling with you so that they can get the discount? Oh well - whatever works.

They used to do that. It was called Share the Wealth and it was eliminated August 1, 2008.

They used to do that. It was called Share the Wealth and it was eliminated August 1, 2008.

Guess that means they won't be bring it back. Oh well - sounds like this new process works well anyway. Was just wondering why we have to jump through the hoops to get the discount. Who cares - as long as we get to share the discount.

Thanks for the response.

I was recently told by a reliable Princess source that Princess WILL be bringing back "Share the Wealth". When they discontinued the program "Referral Rewards" was instituted. It may very well be that RR actually cost Princess more money.

Great! Now we'll get a reputation on the ship!:D What's even funnier is that we all attend the same church! Hope our pastor doesn't find out!:o

The cabin number on the luggage tags should be for the cabin the person (and suitcase) will be staying in.

I'm telling..........:eek:

We recently did this on our last cruise and it was easy as everyone mentioned. However, when we tried to exchange the keys on the first day, we were told changes could not officially be made until noon the next day (due to maritime laws). They gave us room keys (no credit card part attached) and told us to return the next day after noon, but the ones switching did have to carry around their normal seapass and the extra room key for the first day onboard.

As far as booking kids in their own room, there is just no problem with that with Princess. We have done it many times, the kids are right across the hall from us.

What may have been going on was using FCC's to book the two rooms. The person whose name is on the FCC has to be booked for that stateroom. Right now my dad and I are booked in one room and my husband and mom are booked in the adjoining room for our Hawaii cruise. It's going to be their 55th anniversary and think they would like to be in the same room. ;) We will change that once onboard with no problem, but to book using FCC's that is how we had to handle the situation.

Archived