Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thanks for the site. The last time we were in Stockholm it poured. We think it owes us blue sky this time and in St. P. Thanks again Marlyne

I call ahead and make those arrangements. Money-back guarantee if it doesn't work. We had super great weather in St. Petersburg. Overall, we had nice weather. Only a little rain on the last night in Stockholm after we had finished the cruise. And in the early am going to the airport. Good luck.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Edited by TLCOhio

First, you have to take the bus 76 go from Frihamnen to Vasa Museum, there is no ferry at Frihamnen. As you get off the ship there is a kiosk on the quay where you can buy the transport card, before you walk to the bus stop.

From the Vasa Museum you can either take bus 76, or the ferry, to Gamla Stan.

From Gamla Stan, if you are at the north end of the island, it is only a short walk to the City Hall. No need to take a bus unless you have difficulty walking. I hope you know that it is only possible to go inside if you are with a guided tour.

To go from the City Hall to Södermalm I would prefer bus 3 rather than the Metro.

To go back to Frihamnen you will again use bus 76.

Here is a link to a map that may be helpful. The red line in the map is the route for bus 76.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=13

Thank you for all of your help. I thought we'd just take a few pictures of City Hall since it is one of the most popular buildings in Stockholm.

Do you think this itinerary should be shortened? Our cruise ship is supposed to dock at 10:00 and leave at 5:00p.m

Can you say how long the #76 takes from Vassa to Gamla Stan?

What about how long does the Ferry take from Vassa to Gamla Stan?

How much is the #76 all day bus ticket? Does that include the Ferry cost?

What are your personal thoughts on the Nordic Museum? It's so close to the

Vasa and I wonder if one should take the time to see it.

I'd appreciate hearing from everyone who has an opinion on that question.

Thanks in advance.

I am beginning to feel like beetlejuice..:confused:..my head is spinning...from all the info on getting around in Stockholm. I think I am leaning toward the ships tour where it takes you into the city and drops you off for free time then you rejoin the tour back to the ship. Any opinions on that?

Can you say how long the #76 takes from Vassa to Gamla Stan?.

Depending on traffic of course.Some 15 minutes I think.

What about how long does the Ferry take from Vassa to Gamla Stan?

8 minutes according to their web site

How much is the #76 all day bus ticket? Does that include the Ferry cost?

100 Kronor, yes.

I am beginning to feel like beetlejuice..:confused:..my head is spinning...from all the info on getting around in Stockholm. I think I am leaning toward the ships tour where it takes you into the city and drops you off for free time then you rejoin the tour back to the ship. Any opinions on that?

I felt the same way till I wrote an itinerary, seems like an easy port to get around, Vasa first on the Ho Ho boat, then back to Glama stan. I found this below to be fun, /

http://www.gallivantproductions.com/ and then you have only a few hrs left.

Cruisinbob.com

I have perused this thread and can find some information but not a lot specific to the Vartahamnen 523 port. We are arriving on the Regatta on Sept. 1 and will be there until Sept. 2 overnighting on the ship.

Here is my tentative plan:

The morning we arrive--go to Vasa and then do Skansen. Depending on the time, we can then go to Gamla Stan and do Rick Steves's walking tour. then we can head back to the ship.

The morning we disembark the ship with luggage--find someplace where we can store luggage for just a few hours. Perhaps back to Gamla Stan and then to see the changing of the guard at the royal palace. We have an early evening flight from Arlanda to Oslo and plan on utilizing the Arlanda express. We could save Gamla Stan for the second day and spend more time at Skansen but that may depend on weather. I have also read that one can rent bikes for a leisurely ride around the island.

Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary? Where is the best place to store luggage until we go to the airport? This is near the end of our trip so we may be getting museum overload. We are not interested in art museums or medieval history. I think by the time we reach Stockholm we will have had enough of both of those. We also would like to get a feel for the Swedish way of life and not necessarily do all the "touristy" things.

Is getting the 24 hour transportation pass for 100 SEK worth our while? Also, if it is, where can I purchase one after geting off the ship? We will need to probaby purchase single tickets for the second day after the 24 hour pass has run out. Also, I keep reading about which bus to take where but nothing from Vartahamnen. Could someone who knows chime in here for me? I have done a search on this thread but it has not helped. I know that another port Frihammen(pardon my spelling) is close? but don't know if those directions will be of a help to me.

I do apologize if I am being redundant, but as a previous poster said all the info is almost information overload. But, we do not want to take a ship tour. We want the freedom of doing Stockholm on our own.

Thanks to all of you for your Stockholm advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Pearl

Hello anyone with information about docking at Vartahamnen. I need info about transportation and itinerary questions that were posted in five posts ago. I did find a place to store luggage--Central Station.

I certainly appreciate any information that can be given to me and apologize if I appear impatient.

Thank you so much.

Pearl

I have perused this thread and can find some information but not a lot specific to the Vartahamnen 523 port. We are arriving on the Regatta on Sept. 1 and will be there until Sept. 2 overnighting on the ship.

Here is my tentative plan:

The morning we arrive--go to Vasa and then do Skansen. Depending on the time, we can then go to Gamla Stan and do Rick Steves's walking tour. then we can head back to the ship.

The morning we disembark the ship with luggage--find someplace where we can store luggage for just a few hours. Perhaps back to Gamla Stan and then to see the changing of the guard at the royal palace. We have an early evening flight from Arlanda to Oslo and plan on utilizing the Arlanda express. We could save Gamla Stan for the second day and spend more time at Skansen but that may depend on weather. I have also read that one can rent bikes for a leisurely ride around the island.

Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary? Where is the best place to store luggage until we go to the airport? This is near the end of our trip so we may be getting museum overload. We are not interested in art museums or medieval history. I think by the time we reach Stockholm we will have had enough of both of those. We also would like to get a feel for the Swedish way of life and not necessarily do all the "touristy" things.

Is getting the 24 hour transportation pass for 100 SEK worth our while? Also, if it is, where can I purchase one after geting off the ship? We will need to probaby purchase single tickets for the second day after the 24 hour pass has run out. Also, I keep reading about which bus to take where but nothing from Vartahamnen. Could someone who knows chime in here for me? I have done a search on this thread but it has not helped. I know that another port Frihammen(pardon my spelling) is close? but don't know if those directions will be of a help to me.

I do apologize if I am being redundant, but as a previous poster said all the info is almost information overload. But, we do not want to take a ship tour. We want the freedom of doing Stockholm on our own.

Thanks to all of you for your Stockholm advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Pearl

Being an upcoming tourist myself I can't offer any advice but just a suggestion for another great stop might be the Nordic Museum which is right in front/or behind the Vasa. It sounds very interesting and I'd love to have enough time to drop in for awhile also. The second and third floor are really interesting with Swedish room styles, clothing styles etc. Click on the following address and then click on "English" at the top if it doesn't open already with it being in English.

http://www.nordiskamuseet.se/category.asp?cat=187&catname=English&topmenu=142

We're arriving on the Disney Magic on July 27th. We would like to go to Vasa Museum, Skansen, Gamla Stan (Kungliga Slottet-changing of the gaurds, Stortorget, )....How would you do it (please include transportaion). Sorry I don't know where we are docking.

We're arriving on the Disney Magic on July 27th. We would like to go to Vasa Museum, Skansen, Gamla Stan (Kungliga Slottet-changing of the gaurds, Stortorget, )....How would you do it (please include transportaion). Sorry I don't know where we are docking.

I can start off by telling that Disney Magic is docking at Frihamnen 08.00-16:00 on July 27th according to Ports of Stockholm web page.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Does anyone know whether there are two HOHO bus operators in Stockholm.

We have details from Open Top Tours showing a yellow, blue and green route. We also have details from Viator of a continuous route of 14 stops but not going so far out nor onto Sodermalm.

Can anyone explain the difference or which is best or even how we would know the difference?

Thanks

I had my plans made starting the day with a reserved taxi. Initially, I was quoted 90SEK to Skeppsholmen from Stadsgarden 167. When I emailed to actually reserve it, they said that was a mistake and the price is 290.

On this thread, someone said the HOHO boat came at 9 when ships are docked. If instead I wanted to use public transportation, what do you recommend? After Skeppsholmen, I want to go to Gamla Stan, then city hall and back to Sodermalm areas previously discussed on this thread. Thanks for your help. Marlyne

I had my plans made starting the day with a reserved taxi. Initially, I was quoted 90SEK to Skeppsholmen from Stadsgarden 167. When I emailed to actually reserve it, they said that was a mistake and the price is 290.

On this thread, someone said the HOHO boat came at 9 when ships are docked. If instead I wanted to use public transportation, what do you recommend? After Skeppsholmen, I want to go to Gamla Stan, then city hall and back to Sodermalm areas previously discussed on this thread. Thanks for your help. Marlyne

290 seems a bit high to me from Stadsgården.

Just curious, what are your plans on Skeppsholmen? Modern Art Museum? It's a nice island but not many cruisers make it out there.

Al

It is a little embarrassing, but our number one thing is photography. It looks like a great Island for a walk and to take pictures. We may go to the National Museum of Fine Arts to see Carl Larsson and Anders Zorn works.

I am thinking that the one day travel card is what we need to get. I am looking for maps that show bus stops and ferry landings. Thanks. Marlyne

We booked the 4 Star Scandic Anglais Hotel though the cruise line at very good rate. The hotel was lovely (in the Scandinavian minimalist way)and was in an excellent location (Humelgarden) within walking distance of the main attractions & 2 Tube stops from Gamla Stan. We had dinner in the restaurant which was nice Sek 800 for mains course for 3, 1 dessert & drinks.

It was Mid Summer festival for the 3 days we stayed in Stockholm which gave a lovely atmosphere. All tourist attractions were open but the department stores/ shops were closed. As the weather was beautiful, we were able to walk to most attractions. We saw the Vasa Museum which was impressive. We took the movie first (25mins) followed by the guided tour. Both very informative as well as entertaining. It cost Sek110 per adult (child free).

Across the road is Skansen open air museum, another must see, but it looked so packed we decided to leave it for another day. 5 mins further along, Grona Lund amusement park kept us thrilled (and frightened) for a few (expensive) hours.

The old town (Gamla Stan) is lovely and you would could spend the day here. The best thing we did was pre book a walking tour by Gallivant Productions. Sweden from Ice Age to Ikea. The best value 2 hours we had in Stockholm (Sek135 adult/90 child). Cant recomend this highly enough. We had lunch in the Italian restaurant Michelangelo. Sek 700 for 3 mains, 1 dessert & drinks.

We also ate in Berns Restaurant which we found very overpriced for "Singapore Street food" although served in very opulent surroundings.

We also took an evening cruise as far as Vaxholm on SS Stockholm which we booked at the pier. The scenery is beautiful and was very relaxing 3 hours. We bought drinks & desserts onboard which -like everywhere in Stockholm-was very expensive Sek110 for a dessert, 800 for a drink. The cruise cost was reasonable at Sek 400 for 2 adults & 1 child.

The cruise lines transfer took 10 minutes from the hotel to Frihamnen cruiseport.

Overall, Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities we have been in. We would go back in a flash except that it is so expensive for eating & drinking there.

Here is my revised plan. Do I have the buses correct? Also, how much time do I need to alot for City Hall Tower? I have no idea how long the lines may be.

830-945 take bus to Slussen, Red bus 71 to Kungstradgarden, then red bus #65 to Skeppholmen furthest stop, 945-10 red bus #65 to Kungstradgarden & walk over Strombron bridge into Gamla Stan, 10-2 wander old town lunch shop changing of the guard 12-1230 (possible route: walk along Slottskajen north side of Palace TL Hogvaksterassen to StorKyrkan, then to Stortorget, follow Svartmangaten past Tyska Kryk(German church), street changes name to Packhus TR at insection Osterlangatan, viewpoint , follow Oster around to Jarntorget and go up Vasterlangaten TL on Tyska Brinken to Lilla Nygatan then to harbor, 2-3 take bus #3 to City Hall go up in tower, 3-4 red bus #3 to Tjarhorsplan stop and walk down to Fjallgatan street then on to ship maybe stop for ice cream at Kaffestuga) If rainy or cloudy, Gamla Stan and Nordic Museum (Nordiskamuseet) on Djurgarden, Royal Palace apartments Gamla Stan, National Museum of Fine Arts see Carl Larsson and Anders Zorn on Blasieholmen island next to Skeppsholmen, Museum of Medieval Stockholm Island between city and Gamla Stan. Thanks. Marlyne