Least favorite port of call

MaiTaiMary

My least favorite Carnival port is Freeport, Bahamas. There's just nothing there. I think it's because of the fact that we port in an industrial park has something that takes away from the beauty of arriving to this port. The people are absolutely wonderful, but it just did not do anything for me.

Antigua.......Just about every person that we came in contact with on that island had a huge arrogance and attitute thing going on. I just got the feeling that the locals did not want us there. From the beach to the town, nobody once said Thank You. Not when services were paid, not when tips were given. We saw an argument between a beach club employee and a guest because the guest rented a sea-doo from a neighboring beach club and not his. It got pretty heated. I was also chewed out on the beach because I didn't rent chairs from a neighboring beach club. She told me that the taxi dropped us off at her beach club and that I was supposed to stay there. I hope I have the opportunity to go back and give the people another chance. Maybe they just don't like to work on Wednesdays.

Freeports port is ugly, the same way Barbados and Mazatlan are. These are working ports as well. But, Freeport has some of the most stunning beaches I've ever been to. I would go back to Freeport in a heartbeat.

The thing that I see with most of these posts is " We have been there so many times". I agree, I would love to see some new ports of call. You can only do Nassau and Cayman so many times.

Been there, done that. I would rather brave the locals of Jamaica, Belize, etc., than visit a manufactured tourist town. Come on Carnival, add back Costa Maya and give us an occasional break from Cozumel.

We are going to be in Cozumel for the first time this week - I sure hope that we don't hate it - of course I know everybody likes something different - we LOVED Key West - and I have heard people say it was the absolute last place they ever wanted to go again. The only place that I can honestly say that I don't want to visit is Jamaica - and mainly because I am one of those people that get intimidated very easy - and if I want that I can just walk around Atlanta.

I have hated them all except Costa Maya.....i am very laid back when i get off the ship i would like to see a nice beach , local shops, and local bars/eateries...not the usual tourist traps,pushy junk shops, and chain resturants...and when i say local i mean mom and pop type places, where they are freindly and arent just selling over priced made in china crap...when in costa maya we did a mayan ruin excurstion and when for a walk into the fishing village witch was very nice...as far as all the other ones go id rather just go to the rail of the ship and throw all my $$$ to all the money grabbing idiots on the peer thats about what i feel im doing when i get off the ship...you ask why do i cruise well the answer is we enjoy the cruise itself, we usually get off the ship to say we have been there and done that nothing more...but i have only been to 5 ports, if anyone knows of a good one i may enjoy let me know

We are going to be in Cozumel for the first time this week - I sure hope that we don't hate it - of course I know everybody likes something different - we LOVED Key West - and I have heard people say it was the absolute last place they ever wanted to go again. The only place that I can honestly say that I don't want to visit is Jamaica - and mainly because I am one of those people that get intimidated very easy - and if I want that I can just walk around Atlanta.

If you are planning to walk around the shopping area of Cozumel and don't feel comfortable with store owners in your face asking you to come into your shops -- walk back away from the main street one or two streets and shop in that area.

Cozumel is a great port and one of my favorite shopping ports. Had to learn to just ignore the store hawkers trying to get me in to their jewelry and other stores at first but soon learned that these stores are just trying to make a living in the midst of a few hundred stores just like them in the shopping strip.

I love Key West too and hope to get back there sometime soon.

Dianne

I have hated them all except Costa Maya.....i am very laid back when i get off the ship i would like to see a nice beach , local shops, and local bars/eateries...not the usual tourist traps,pushy junk shops, and chain resturants...and when i say local i mean mom and pop type places, where they are freindly and arent just selling over priced made in china crap...when in costa maya we did a mayan ruin excurstion and when for a walk into the fishing village witch was very nice...as far as all the other ones go id rather just go to the rail of the ship and throw all my $$$ to all the money grabbing idiots on the peer thats about what i feel im doing when i get off the ship...you ask why do i cruise well the answer is we enjoy the cruise itself, we usually get off the ship to say we have been there and done that nothing more...but i have only been to 5 ports, if anyone knows of a good one i may enjoy let me know

I think you will find that Costa Maya and Majuahal (the fishing village) have changed since you were last there unfortunately. The rebuilding after the hurrican destruction changed much about the quaint feeling of that port.

Dianne

So far, the ONLY port we have disliked has been Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Ridiculously few excursions to choose from and 99% of them all go to Dunn's River Falls at some point.

(no offense, we have better falls here in the SC mountains already, so that is of no intrest to us.)

We tried to just walk around town on our own, to see the area and were forced to surrender and retreat back to the ship after being relentlessly badgered by the locals for every little thing.

I have been to Bazaars and Markets in Turkey and Greece, where the vendors were pushy.

I find the "pushy" vendors in Nassau to be polite and delightful, especially when compared to EVERY local in Ocho Rios.

It was simply unbelievable the level of harrasment there.

We will NEVER book another cruise to jamaica and if we ever get rerouted there, we will never step off the ship again. It will become another sea day.

Bill

I think you will find that Costa Maya and Majuahal (the fishing village) have changed since you were last there unfortunately. The rebuilding after the hurrican destruction changed much about the quaint feeling of that port.

Dianne

That sucks....these cruise lines just need to look at what people want in a vacation...i want to relax...if i want to feel the way i do at some of these ports there is a FleaMarket a hours drive from my house ill go to...or even the local goverments maybe make these places more visitor freindly, if people get to point that they dont want to go there, they wont, then what will they do for their #1 industy?

Calica. We had to go there after the hurricanes because Cozumel wasn't up & running. Calica is a gravel pit. Nothing to do. If you get off the ship, you have to book a tour somewhere since it is just a place the buses park. Unless it has been improved since 2006.

Cozumel . . . It is dumpy and very nasty smelling. The beaches at best can be described as so so and all of the armed police give a sense that it is really unsafe.

Wow! We so didn't have this experience. We found a beach off the beaten path that was beautiful and had great snorkeling (recommended by a friend who went on the same cruise weeks before us). And neither us nor my parents (who were there again the year after) saw any armed police.

Try Roatan - beautiful beaches and touristy in a kitchy, local way. I have a feeling Grand Cayman and Nassau wouldn't do it for you. You might like the port at Belize. Fun tender ride over then quaint local bars right at the port.

That sucks....these cruise lines just need to look at what people want in a vacation...i want to relax...if i want to feel the way i do at some of these ports there is a FleaMarket a hours drive from my house ill go to...or even the local goverments maybe make these places more visitor freindly, if people get to point that they dont want to go there, they wont, then what will they do for their #1 industy?

I know what you mean. We live in Columbus and have all types of flea markets and shopping malls availabe within a few mintues or a couple of hours away.

Don't get me wrong about Majauahal and Costa Maya. It's still more laid back than say Cozumel and many of the other ports of call. But the pristine feeling of the old main dirt street with marine ropes for speed bumps in Majaual is gone now. They paved the main street with tiles following the hurricane and the former small vendors offering cheap massages or souvenirs on the beach side of the main street have been redirected to the other side of the tiled street.

Not sure if you've ever been to Roatan but we've been there many times and have seen the cruise industry and the big name shops like Diamonds International and Del Sol (to name a couple), change the island from a very restful retreat to just another Cozumel or St. Thomas port stop.

Dianne

The first time we went to Key West we took the Conch train tour and hated it and swore we would not get off the ship if ever we sailed on another ship stopping at this port. The second time we got off intending to just go for a walk. We ended up renting an electric car. We had a blast going to the beach and driving around stopping when we wanted.

A similar thing happened to us with Puerto rico. The first time we took a city tour for a couple hours. It was boring and tiresome. The second time we again figured we would just walk around a bit and get back on the ship. We walked through the town and up to one of the fortresses. It was much more fun when we were not being timed or guided around. We stopped in the shops on the way back and sat at an outdoor patio for drinks and chips and salsa.

Try Roatan - beautiful beaches and touristy in a kitchy, local way. I have a feeling Grand Cayman and Nassau wouldn't do it for you. You might like the port at Belize. Fun tender ride over then quaint local bars right at the port.

Now that the cruise lines are building new piers and shopping villages at the docks in Roatan, the island will soon start looking like other ports you mentioned. Unfortunately this building boom on Roatan will push out many of the Mom & Pop stores so many of us have loved on this island.

Dianne

I didn't care for Freeport when we arrived and they really didn't have any excursions there to make up for the lacking desirability. :mad:

We did Progreso last year and it was kind of fun. Sure, they are trying to become a destination, but we had a nice tour bus ride (ducking the wires was hilarious!), a nice meal in a seaside place, and some nice drinks on the beach front. I wouldn't deliberately book a cruise just to go back there, but it is what it is. ;)

Even though Calica's port is at the quarry, there is SO MUCH to do within a reasonable distance. This was actually one of our favorite stops becuase of that. :)

We've been to Grand Cayman twice and we chartered the same 28' boat both time for half a day. This year will be our first "land only" visit to GC, so I hope that will be as much fun. :cool:

Nassau because I've been there a zillion times and I can't stand all the "want to get your hair braided, missy" accosting right off the ship. Further, there is very little to do there unless you are willing to spend $$ on tours, which I am not. :eek:

Freeport. The reason ANY ship stops there is WHY?????????

Anywhere in Jamaica because it is a huge turnoff to be offered pot every 3 feet. I'd just like to walk in peace.

Another vote for Ocho Rios as least favorite port! When I was aboard Carnival Freedom in March and saw that I was going to have to run through a gauntlet of taxi drivers to get off the pier and to Margaritaville, I returned to the Freedom for a delightful day on board.

Jamaica is a beaitiful, lush island. It is really a shame that some of the population spoil their riches by having such a tourist unfriendly attitude.

Progresso is the worst for me... We went there right after Costa Maya was closed. Not happy about be there to begin with. Took the city tour just to get an idea about the city. There were utility lines hanging so low that the tour bus operator had to hold them up for the bus to go under. Most of the locals could not speak english. I realize we are in their country but Carnival should have thought about this before sending 3,000 tourists into the city. Basically, if you go there you almost have to book an excursion into Merida... lessons learned.

Do you think we should learn the language of tourest who come to America?

While I liked Port Lucaya, I'll give half my vote to Freeport. Too much effort to get to a good beach.

But the other half of my vote goes to Mazatlan. What a wasted day. There are no good beaches, and not much at all to see. We took a tour and frankly, much of it just looks like L.A. The little downtown central square was charming -- but that only took 15 minutes. The rest of the day involved driving around looking at mini-malls and store fronts. Bleh.

I have 3 least favorites, Grand Caymen, just not enough to do there unless you want to lie on the beach, which many do but not my thing.

Belize, agree with everyone else who stated just too icky and nothing to do unless on a organized excursion.

And I have to say Turks and Caicos. I know they are just in the middle of recovering from a devistating hurricane but I was expecting a beautiful island and I didn't see that.

Archived