Princess best ship and why?

ckr31

We love the small ships - The Pacific, Royal and Tahitian/Ocean Princesses. They hold about 700 passengers, so you get to know both the other passengers and the crew.

Plus they do the great itineraries. They sail all over the world.

I am curious to find out .whats princesses best ship and why?
Of the current fleet, I like the Royal Princess best. Comfortable and elegant cabins (most with a couch, including basic oceanview cabins), gorgeous library, not a lot of people, very elegant decor throughout the ship, top of ship forward lounge for viewing or cocktails, much more personalized service and attention, etc. Oh, and they have the best itineraries because they can go to more places than the big ships.

By far, THE RUBY!!!!!

We really love the big ships. We have never felt crowded on them and love all the options we have. The fitness center on the Ruby is awesome. Lots of treadmills, elipticals, and weight machines. We love the dining options, Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Vines, International Cafe, or Anytime Dining. We opt out of MDR because we want to try the options. Have always had fabulous service wherever we dine. Going on the Ruby in Nov. for the third time and then in Oct. '10 for the fourth time. She is the best for our style of cruising.

Helen

Ha, ha, Largin - I was just going to post exacly that ;)

Glad to hear good stuff about the Ruby; will be my first voyage with her in March. I renjoyed the Grand, over the Sea Princess although I don't know if I could say exactly why. Maybe because I had a teeny tiny inside on the Sea and an aft balcony on the Grand....

I don't think that there IS a 'Best Ship', it is merely the ship that suits ones needs best, of all the ships that we have saled on. In the case of myself and my wife, that ship is Coral [we have not sailed on the Island], for us she is just the right size, and we like her theaters better than the other ships that we have been on.

The latter leads to the next point, there is probably only a handfull of cruisers who have sailed on all the different types of ship that Princess has to offer, so in my opinion there is no real answer.

john

Ha, ha, Largin - I was just going to post exacly that ;)

Glad to hear good stuff about the Ruby; will be my first voyage with her in March. I renjoyed the Grand, over the Sea Princess although I don't know if I could say exactly why. Maybe because I had a teeny tiny inside on the Sea and an aft balcony on the Grand....

You will LOVE the Ruby!!!!

We also love the big ships, and of them the Ruby has been our favorite, hands down.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, however, we also LOVED the Tahitian (sister of the Pacific and Royal) if you're looking for the small ship experience.

It depends on what you like...big ship or small ship. We enjoy them both for different reasons. I haven't sailed on all Princess ships but I love the Emerald in the large ship category because they really seem to have their act together in the food department and design is probably the most accessible for my mobility impaired DW. For a small ship we loved the Tahitian with that special feeling of camaraderie that you only seem to find on a smaller vessel, the short distances from point A to point B, and the ease in tendering.

HI Pam, I've only sailed on the Star and Grand ( and will be sailing the Sea soon). Can you feel a big difference ( waves and motion etc) between a ship like the Princess and one like the Star and Grand ?

and p.s thank you for the great advice you give, I've noticed that many times you answer questions in a very knowledgeable and kind way

HI Pam, I've only sailed on the Star and Grand ( and will be sailing the Sea soon). Can you feel a big difference ( waves and motion etc) between a ship like the Princess and one like the Star and Grand ?

and p.s thank you for the great advice you give, I've noticed that many times you answer questions in a very knowledgeable and kind way

I believe that you mean between SEA Princess, and the Star and the Grand. Yes, there might be a tad more motion on Sea Princess, BUT, all other things being equal I would take Sea Princess any day.

john

I believe that you mean between SEA Princess, and the Star and the Grand. Yes, there might be a tad more motion on Sea Princess, BUT, all other things being equal I would take Sea Princess any day.

john

Thank you. Actually I meant between the Royal Princess and the Star ou Grand. But thank you so much for the info for the Sea Princess ( upcoming cruise in Alaska) . My sea legs are getting better and better , so I guess I could be OK with a "tad more" motion.

There are differences between the Sea and the Star/Grand in how they react to motion because there are design differences. It's a fallacy that the bigger the ship, the smoother the ride will be. Yes, in some sea conditions it will be but a ship with lots of decks and a shallow draft such as the Grand class ships are more affected by wind as those upper decks act as a sail. They have bigger stabilizers but stabilizers are effective only if the seas are from the side, not the front. In those instances, a narrower ship (such as the Sea) will cut through the waves better while the larger ships are more likely to go up and over.

People often try to compare the motion of one ship to another completely forgetting that there are many variable factors in play that are almost impossible to reproduce exactly except under controlled conditions: height and direction of the waves, currents, wind speed and direction, ocean depth, etc. Also, in some sea conditions, the stabilizers must be retracted. And finally, one person's slight movement that's barely noticeable is another's hell. Last year, I was on a 31-day cruise from Sydney to LA and on Mother's Day, our CC group had organized a brunch. It was a bit choppy that day and most of us made the lunch. I was astonished to learn later that some people (after three weeks at sea) were in their beds, overcome by seasickness. I (knock on wood) am blessed that I've felt seasick only once in my life (going from Newport Beach to Catalina) and that was probably because at least 50% of the people on the catamaran were tossing their cookies. Once I went out into the fresh air, I was fine.

I have loved all the Princess ships I have been on. I would have to say my favorite size is the Sun class, comfortable to get around, not too big or too crowded. Have been on the Sun 3 times, the Sea and Ocean once each.

Loved reading the above review of the Royal, we are sailing on it this Nov and can't wait.

There are differences between the Sea and the Star/Grand in how they react to motion because there are design differences. It's a fallacy that the bigger the ship, the smoother the ride will be. Yes, in some sea conditions it will be but a ship with lots of decks and a shallow draft such as the Grand class ships are more affected by wind as those upper decks act as a sail. They have bigger stabilizers but stabilizers are effective only if the seas are from the side, not the front. In those instances, a narrower ship (such as the Sea) will cut through the waves better while the larger ships are more likely to go up and over.

People often try to compare the motion of one ship to another completely forgetting that there are many variable factors in play that are almost impossible to reproduce exactly except under controlled conditions: height and direction of the waves, currents, wind speed and direction, ocean depth, etc. Also, in some sea conditions, the stabilizers must be retracted. And finally, one person's slight movement that's barely noticeable is another's hell. Last year, I was on a 31-day cruise from Sydney to LA and on Mother's Day, our CC group had organized a brunch. It was a bit choppy that day and most of us made the lunch. I was astonished to learn later that some people (after three weeks at sea) were in their beds, overcome by seasickness. I (knock on wood) am blessed that I've felt seasick only once in my life (going from Newport Beach to Catalina) and that was probably because at least 50% of the people on the catamaran were tossing their cookies. Once I went out into the fresh air, I was fine.

Thank you Pam, very interesting and I learned a lot.

Is there such a thing as the best ship?

What might be the best ship for me, can be the worst ship for someone else.You might a preference but don't think there is a best ship.

It is like everything else in life. What is best for you isn't necessarily best for me. We all have different tastes and interests.

I agree with the statements that what works well for one passenger is not right for another, so I think the OP is trying to gather info to make a decision. I advise anyone considering options to read these boards to learn the differences between the Princess big ships with lots of activities and the small ships that generally are more suited to passengers who are interested in ports instead of activities on board ship. We were on the Royal Princess in June and loved it (very port intensive cruise in the Med), and that ship is able to go to smaller ports that are off the beaten path.

Happy travels,

Donna

Archived