Just back from Viking Grand European Voyge

loum140

Billy: Are you going in the same direction (Amsterdam to Budapest)? If you are sailing the reverse, the times in port will be different. Also, things might be a little different on the Legend.

Anyway, here's our schedule from the Spirit:

Mainz - arrive at 8 a.m., walking tours 8:30 - 10:30 a.m., all aboard at 12:15 p.m. If you skip the city tour and visit to the Guttenberg Museum, you'll have nearly 4 hours to visit with your friends.

Passau - I don't seem to have a notation of our arrival time, but our time ashore was very short -- 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (2 1/2 hours) including the organ concert. All aboard was at 12:45 p.m.

Yes, we are going in the same direction and your times agree in general with what was sent to us by viking ie morning arrival lunch departure. Also, your times in Passau match the times that its website show the A14 docking site to be reserved for Viking. (It is reserved starting a little earlier and extending a little later, but one would expect that.) Thus, thanks. I think that is very useful info to send to my friends.

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting very close to our sailing. I was thinking although I will bring some type of insect repellent did you ever have a issue with them?

If so when and where?

We thank you all for your input on this thread on all subject's.

Smiles

Wally: We sailed late June into July. Did not bring insect repellent and did not need it. Somewhere -- don't remember where -- there were tiny flying insects that were very attracted to people wearing bright yellow shirts and back packs, but I don't believe they bit or stung. They were just unsightly when attached to your clothing!! Don't know about sailings later in the season, but if it's an issue for you then bring it. Better safe than sorry!

We are on the cruise now (day 6) on VIKING LEGEND. For more detail see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20717720&posted=1#post20717720

Bascially, we are on a 5-star (out of 5) ship on a great cruise.

As for ATM, don't take it with you. When you reach your european airport (We were in Amsterdam), go to an ATM at the airport and get some.. much better exchange rate. There are ATMs in every port. no problem!

Wally: We sailed late June into July. Did not bring insect repellent and did not need it. Somewhere -- don't remember where -- there were tiny flying insects that were very attracted to people wearing bright yellow shirts and back packs, but I don't believe they bit or stung. They were just unsightly when attached to your clothing!! Don't know about sailings later in the season, but if it's an issue for you then bring it. Better safe than sorry!

Will do

We are on the cruise now (day 6) on VIKING LEGEND. For more detail see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20717720&posted=1#post20717720

Bascially, we are on a 5-star (out of 5) ship on a great cruise.

As for ATM, don't take it with you. When you reach your european airport (We were in Amsterdam), go to an ATM at the airport and get some.. much better exchange rate. There are ATMs in every port. no problem!

Thanks enjoy your cruise

We specifically brought along a netbook to keep in touch via e-mail, though at times the internet connection was weak or non-existant especially going through locks and under bridges (550 of them). If your phone won't work in Europe, there's enough time ashore to get a phone card and call home.

I've just been looking at my photos and remembering all the special moments of the cruise........Marsha

Just to understand and be sure, the wi-fi/Internet access although not available at all times it was available in spots? As you tried to access it what percentage of the time were you successful?

Thanks again for your help we leave in just days.

Smiles:)

Hi Marsha and Lou,

We were on the Grand European river Cruise with you. Great review and so informative. We may book the Russia Trip and I believe you mentioned you had done that one. let me know is it better to go from moscow to St petersburg or does it matter?! So pleased we did not miss the Belvedere Palace and the Art in Vienna.

Marsha and Edwin

Just to understand and be sure, the wi-fi/Internet access although not available at all times it was available in spots? As you tried to access it what percentage of the time were you successful?

Thanks again for your help we leave in just days.

Smiles:)

Wally

We found we had better luck on the Danube than we did on the Rhine with internet. Anytime you are in a lock, you will not have internet. Some of spots you stop are in very deep valleys and the internet may work and it may not. It was spotty but the large cities one always had good reception.

Hi Marsha and Lou,

We were on the Grand European river Cruise with you. Great review and so informative. We may book the Russia Trip and I believe you mentioned you had done that one. let me know is it better to go from moscow to St petersburg or does it matter?! So pleased we did not miss the Belvedere Palace and the Art in Vienna.

Marsha and Edwin

Dear Marsha and Edwin: It's great to hear from you!!! Hope you are well. Yes, we took Viking's Moscow to St. Petersburg cruise in 2002 and loved it. We did not have a choice of direction when we booked as we were locked in by the date. However, we are glad that we started in Moscow and ended in St. Petersburg because it gave us an entra day in SP. Those three days were the highlight of the trip for us and created a lasting memory of a city of light and beauty. In fact we spent another two days in St. Petersburg a few years later, as there were many more things we wanted to see and not nearly enough time!

Some of the special moments in Moscow were: the Kremlin, Red Square, the Cathedrals, riding the Metro and gawking at the beautiful stations, the Circus, and a visit to the Tretyakov Gallery, which was included for us, but is now optional. (Don't miss it -- especially the exhibits of Surakov's huge paintings. They're magnificent!)

We loved all the stops along the river, especially Uglich and Kizhi Island. But St. Petersburg was fabulous. We loved Catherine's Palace and the Hermitage Museum. Do take the optional Peterhof tour. It's wonderful. We took the Metro from the ship to Nevsky Prospect on a free afternoon and visited the Kazan Cathedral and the Church on the Spilled Blood. (But it wasn't until our return visit to SP that we went inside the latter -- it's breathtaking! All mosaic!)

Don't know what ship you'll be on, but do book one of the larger rooms. The smaller accomodations are Spartan, to say the least!

Best regards, Marsha

Marsha,

Great report. Thank you.

We will be on the Spirit in Oct. My question as a first time river cruiser is about dress code. I have been an ocean cruiser and with 3000 + people dress is less important than when there are 150.

I imagine it will be cool so dressing for tours shouldn't be a problem. But what is the dress code on the Spirit at meal time? Are sport coats, ties, suits etc. needed?

As to the cell phone question, I bought an unlocked quad phone on ebay and have a "world" sim card. It has worked in every country we have traveled to including China.

Any info on the dress code will be appreciated.

Paul

I am on the Danube in Austria right now on the Viking Legend sending this. Sometimes internet in non-existent, othertimes slow, and othertimes the speed is not bad... you just have to hit and miss.

The speed is adequate if individuals would just quickly send and receive email. However, some take up big bandwidth by uploading and/or downloading big files... often by some who are working on board by a half-dozen teenagers who are board other than playing video games online with their friends back home (a big eater of bandwidth) and others who must send home or to friends pictures video clips and whatever. If everyone would just send quick text messages the bandwidth would be better... but how does that get enforced.. it can not.

We had hoped to communicate with our kids via STEAM, a free audio communciation program.. but saw right away that would not work so got a european cell phone for that purpose. Basically, plan on using internet on board for quick emailing of text. If you need more bandwidth, plan on doing so at an internet cafe at a port or in the middle of the night when the big users of bandwidth have finished. Hopefully, this texting to the forum will not be hogging too much bandwidth. It shouldn't i would think.

We are certainly enjoying the Amsterdam-Budapest cruise thus far on the VikingLegend.

Bumpa: Dress on board was extremely casual, even at dinner. (PS - our photo above was taken at dinner one night) There were no sport coats or ties on gentlemen. Knit golf shirts, Hawaiian prints, short sleeve dress shirts, etc. were what the men wore. The ladies dressed up a bit more, but really just what you might expect to wear to a local restaurant -- nice tops with capris or slacks, accessorized with a scarf or jewelry. A number of folks dressed up for the concert in Vienna, but said afterward that it wasn't necessary. Hope you enjoy your trip....we loved the staff on the Spirit!

M & L - Just a quick note to say 'thanks' for taking the time to share some of your valuable experiences while cruising with Viking. Although I have sailed with this company twice previously, it's always good to hear recent positive feedback and to know that Viking is still working hard to provide a good experience on its growing fleet of riverboats before setting sail on the Legend in September.

M & E - I would like to add a some additional information that may help you before booking your Russian cruise. My husband and I sailed with Viking in 2005 on the Viking Pakhomov, which was manufactured in East Germany in the late '80's and refitted after being purchased by Viking in 2003. This riverboat and its twin whose name escapes me at the moment are the two bare bones Viking riverboats currently doing the Moscow to St. Pete and return runs. Although the 400 level cabins looked nice from the hallway and the 300 level cabins appeared to be more than adequate, the cabins on the 200 level are bare bones.....very similar to dorm rooms I experienced in my undergrad years in the 1960's with pull out bolster beds so close together that you can't walk between them to use the 'facilities' during the night and a shower that is contained only by the surrounding bathroom walls, soaking everything in the room when in use.

There are also 2 different dining rooms on these two ships... a small one on the 400 level that is reserved for that passenger grade and the suites and the larger (and much more crowded) dining room on the 300 level for the rest of the passengers. You will be able to identify the sister ship to the Pakhomov by inspecting the floor plans for the two separate dining areas and/or by the cost factor as the posted cruise rates are lower for these two vessels....

The trip itself was amazing although it was still quite cool and cloudy with lots of showers during May in '05. If you'd like more info, get back to me and I'll start another thread... LT

My wife and I have taken multiple ocean cruises but never a river cruise. Do these ships provide any onboard entertainment at night? If they remain docked overnight is access to on shore entertainment available?

My wife and I have taken multiple ocean cruises but never a river cruise. Do these ships provide any onboard entertainment at night? If they remain docked overnight is access to on shore entertainment available?

You do not have the show rooms like you do on the ocean cruises. On our cruise they brought in a glass blower, 2 different musical acts and they always had a piano player in the lounge. Most of the people wished that he played more up to date music as most of his music was dated to WW I and WW II. In the towns you had access to entertainment and just had to make sure you were back aboard on time.

Just returned from cruise Amsterdam to Budapest plus extra time in NL (independent) and Prague. We used the Viking Legend. Great ship. Great cruise. Please note that river cruises differ from ocean cruises in that on ocean cruises most of the touring is once the ship is in port. On River cruises most of the touring is on the 6MPH ship cruising more slowly than bicycles along the shore. Hence, be entertained by the scenery. We brought books to read, but had little time to do the reading. Tours were provided but not liking to be part of a herd, we seldom went on the organized tours.. but those we were on were excellent. My suggestion... do your homework on the history, culture, languages, and tour alone for more fun. However, if you like touring with groups, take the tours. Those who took them said that they were all good and with local guides. We had three sets of friends who live in Europe and met us at three different points.. made the cruise even better.

Unlike Ocean cruises, we could bring our friends aboard the ship and show them around. Also, we could go aboard other ships at dock which we did. Our conclusion, other ships smelled more than Viking Legend. VIking Legend is certainly newer. Some others were more ornate inside, but really the Viking Legend was hard to beat, so we are glad that we lucked out in choosing it. We seldom docked with other ships (I think twice with other VIking ships but only for a short time. The other times, we docked alone and in great locations)

The Viking Legend is the newest ship on the rivers right now and with excellent docking including private docking next to the chain bridge in Budapest. We couldn't get a better view (but pick an even number cabin).

THIS IS IMPORTANT... Since river cruising is different from ocean cruising with much of the touring from the ship... and since low bridges prevent top decks from being open from Nuremburg to Passau... and since most noise is BELOW the water line. NEVER EVER EVER get a lower cabin on a river cruise. Get as high up as possible for the good viewing! Get a room with a french balcony or actual balcony.

• 1 year later...

you just get them on board? We are used to Ocean cruising. I see that someone said there were different groups. Is there any way you can ask for the first group--we are early people? Sorry I sound stupid..I just have to adjust.

This thread is 2 years old. Any advise from then is very dated.

The river cruise includes local tours in most cities, no need to do anything but enjoy. There will be limited opportunities in most towns to adapt to your wishes.

can do the UNLIMITED mobility tours. I wonder how you get in that group. We are seasoned "travelers".

Passengers are divided into groups of about 25-30 on the first day and, generally speaking, tour every day with the same group and a local guide in each city. The tours are very comprehensive. Occasionally, there will be other offerings -- we took "special tours" (at no extra charge) in Vienna to see the Belvedere Museum, a Jewish Heritage tour in another city, and in Budapest a tour via public transportation - walking over the bridge, taking the funicular, tram, touring the huge public market, etc.) We had the flexibility to do this because we had been to these cities before and didn't want to repeat the basic city highlights.

In our opinion, Viking does a wonderful job, providing knowledgeable guides in each city and the fabulous head-sets which enable photographers to lag a bit or step off the beaten path while still listening to the commentary and knowing when the rest of the group moves on.

We have just booked our 4th river cruise with Viking. Marsha

Archived