Car Rental Co. @ San Francisco Pier

JillK

Hi All.

Hoping that someone can help with a question for my parents who are taking their fourth NCL cruise this coming September.

They are doing their first Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sun and was hoping someone would be so kind as to answer the following:

1/ Confirm that the San Fran terminal is located at Pier 35 adjacent to Fisherman's Warf.

2/ Which car rental companies (if any) are either at the pier, or close to the pier (offering complementary shuttle to pier)?

Many thanks to all those who take the time to reply!

Jill

Jill,

I am going to try to answer those questions as best as I can. I did not sail out of San Fran, but I was there and saw a RCL and Princess ship on two different days. They were at the Pier between Pier 39 and the Alcatraz Cruise pier (not sure what number). We rented a car from thrifty, and it seemed the closest car rental places were on O'Farrell street, which we took the trolley to. I didnt know about any shuttles.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks

Vinny

There's a Hertz Car Rental a few blocks away in Fisherman's Wharf:

Fishermans Wharf500 Beach Street

Suite 121 San Francisco, California 94133

United States

Phone: 415-674-8330 txt_bullet.gif Fax: 415-674-8441

Call to verify.

Ships dock at the pier adjacent to the "Pier 39" which is located at the southern end of "Fisherman's Wharf" proper.

You can rent a car near the Terminal at:

• Avis Car Rental in Anchorage Square at 500 Beach Street, Suite 120 (between Jones and Leavenworth Streets), 415-441-4141;
  • Enterprise Rent A Car located at 350 Beach Street (between Mason and Taylor Streets), 415-474- 9600;
  • Hertz Car Rental in Anchorage Square at 500 Beach Street, Suite 121 (between Jones and Leavenworth Streets), 415-674-8330.

All are close to Pier 35, which is the main SF Pier cruise terminal. Enterprise would be the closest. I do not know whether they would pick up your parents, but there will be plenty of cabs available to take them the few blocks to the rental facilities.

According to the SF Port website (here's the link, the Sun will be boarding all her Mexican Riviera cruises this fall at Pier 35.

Pier 39, I believe. It should say on your cruise docs.

According to the SF Port website (here's the link, the Sun will be boarding all her Mexican Riviera cruises this fall at Pier 35.
The Cruise Terminal is definitely Pier 35. Pier 39 is what some locals refer to as a "tourist trap," although I think it's great fun. Pier 39 is right next to the Cruise Terminal. BTW, for anyone visiting Pier 39, don't miss the sea lions!

Where do they plan to go, I work in SF and would think that many places in the city can be reached best by local transportation. If they want to go to Napa I would think a tour might be the best way to go.

If they are looking for a rental car the above posts will probably work perfectly for them.

There's a car rental -- Hertz I believe, maybe Thrifty -- in the Hyatt Regency Embarkadaro. It's a 3/4 mile walk, but pleasant in good weather. There is also the "muni" rail between the two.

The car rental facility in the Hyatt Regency in the Embarcadero Center is Budget.

I have a question for the OP. Exactly what do they plan to do with the rental car? I ask because between parking and traffic in San Francisco, it is easier to sightsee via public transit.

• 2 years later...
Sunnyvale area. He gave us a heads up about the traffic. ;)

You could take CalTrain down. Pier 27 is generally in the middle of the areas mentioned in post # 4. You will need to walk maybe 8 blocks, maybe slightly more.

I would get a map of San Francisco (don't look for Frisco, that is in Texas) and do a little planning. But it really isn't a long walk.

say Frisco and locals will turn purple...

I would say...take caltrain (take taxi to station)...and have son meet them at train. you will be happier...it can have nasty traffic

I grew up in L.A., which people call just about everything you can think of, and few people care. You say "Frisco," and some (not all) SF natives look like you just committed an act of heresy. You are permitted to say "The City" (as you can do in New York City). All pretty silly to me. I do agree with the others about a car in San Francisco. A hassle, and parking can be very expensive. You can always ask the cruise company about the exact location of departure/arrival. The car rental facilities in SF are usually rather small, with a limited selection, but can be cheaper than those at airports. I'd look for the chapest rate and take a taxi from the port to the rental facility, to avoid having to drive in the crowded port area but others will be more familiar with the neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...
We on on the Sapphire Princess next week and have secured a car through Enterprise on Beach Street. I am assuming we are coming into Pier 35, which shouldn't be too much of a walk.

Will they pick you up? I'm going to need a rental next year, so this post can cover my question before I ask it.

Will they pick you up? I'm going to need a rental next year, so this post can cover my question before I ask it.

We were just planning on walking because it is only a few blocks but I just called Enterprise to reconfirm and they will definitely pick you up. I think we will still walk to the rental office next week as the location is sold out so it will be quicker (I hope).

Archived