Aft Cabins - Opinions?

IronKitten

On my next cruise (in a couple of weeks) we'll be in a cabin at the very aft of the ship (Ruby Princess, D734).

I wanted to get some opinions from anyone who's stayed in a room at the very back of the ship like that. Is there more noise/vibration? Does watching the wake trail get old? etc etc...

I'm used to staying fairly midship, so I want to be prepared for any differences there might be with staying far aft.

Thanks!

Nice. I've been on Ruby's sisters. You do feel more motion at the back than mid-ship, but I haven't found it bothersome. Don't recall engine noise, and no, I haven't grown tired of watching the wake!!! ENJOY. Look at it this way--you're closer to the buffet area for afternoon ice cream at 3:30!!

We always book aft if available..! NO, it never gets old...!!:)

We are booked in a similar aft on the Emerald Princess for 2011..:D

Only noise will be the vibration from the props and thrusters when docking! It is 'heard' everywhere, just more noticeable either forward or aft!:p You'll love the cabin; especially the balcony!!:cool:

On my next cruise (in a couple of weeks) we'll be in a cabin at the very aft of the ship (Ruby Princess, D734).

I wanted to get some opinions from anyone who's stayed in a room at the very back of the ship like that. Is there more noise/vibration? Does watching the wake trail get old? etc etc...

I'm used to staying fairly midship, so I want to be prepared for any differences there might be with staying far aft.

Thanks![/quote

We LOVE the aft cabins. There are vibrations when the ship is docking, but after the 1st morning I didn't really notice them. You will definately feel more motion, but it is more of a gentle side to side rock. Kinda like a cradle. Way less hallway noise than midship. Sitting on the balcony, watching the wake never gets old for us! Plus it is right up the back stairway to the buffet, very convenient at breakfast! ;)

We are in the D734 in November and hope it is as good as we think it will be. On the Island last month we were two cabins from aft and loved it. There are a lot of easily accessed areas aft and the panorama viewing is great. Does any one know if the door at the end of the suite corridor is a public access area? Looks that way on the deck plan.

margaritagirl12... I see that you have sailed both the Navigator of the seas as well as the Carnival Destiny. Wife and I are trying to decide between those 2 ship on a january 2010 four day sailing. Could you give your comparison of both. We are in our late 20's-early 30's. this will be our 3rd cruise. Thanks for any advice.

• 4 months later...

We had aft last month(deck 8) Carnival Conquest. We enjoyed it , more walking, alittle hard on two 68 year olds, but ok. Noise and motion were not a problem, except when we left Cosumel @ 6 pm, that night was rough 7.5-12 foot seas from hurricane IDA. It shook us in bed some but rocked us to sleep. We did not get sick-bands & ginger- but alot of people were sick that night. I recommend it after a wrap.

Thanks!

Hi, We stayed in room B748 on the Ruby (rear facing) and we loved it?? A little noisy when we sat outside, but we thought it was great.. (The corner rooms have a much larger balcony)

Have fun,

Kelly

We booked our first (and last) aft balcony on the Emerald Princess B-752. The size of the balcony was great!!! It was large (enough room for 4 chairs & a small table), the view was nice but it was the smell that made us sick!!! It literally smelled like a landfill 24/7. We were hoping that maybe when the ship or the wind turned another direction it would get better, but it did not.

Please don't think I'm trying to convince everyone that all afts are like this, because I'm sure they are not, since so many people book them. But we had a balcony we paid extra $$$ for and could not use the whole week. We were very disappointed to say the least.

We had another aft booked on RCI for May 2010 but as soon as we returned home from the Emerald we immediately changed it back to a balcony mid-ship like we are used to.

aww, Diane- sorry to hear you cancelled your aft.

From reading these boards I know to avoid the Baja deck afts because of the vent out there- Some report a problem and others say its not so. I am not willing to take the chance so i try to get on the Caribe deck aft.

Royal Carib. afts are awesome -- but there is the steel structure out there.

aww, Diane- sorry to hear you cancelled your aft.

From reading these boards I know to avoid the Baja deck afts because of the vent out there- Some report a problem and others say its not so. I am not willing to take the chance so i try to get on the Caribe deck aft.

Royal Carib. afts are awesome -- but there is the steel structure out there.

I thought I had researched this location thoroughly during the months before our cruise, but somehow overlooked this problem about the Baja deck.

I don't regret changing our aft on RCI because we were able to snag a center hump instead that I think we'll be much happier with it.

Happy Sailing Everyone!!!!

Just off the Ruby in D734 and we loved it. There is propellor vibration and gentle rocking even though we had very calm seas for 10 days. Only on one morning early did I smell a slight food oder (not unpleasant), otherwise no vent issues. The balcony was huge by any standard and there is a vertical beam on the left side well back from the rail, not a sight problem to speak of. The rear view was great and the rush of the prop wash was there, but not too loud or troublesome. Great access to the buffet, club fusion, and the kids zone (which our son frequented). Other areas and midship are best accessed on promenade deck 7. Would do it again.

Hope to do a complete review of the cruise soon.

We have booked minis midship mostly and on our last cruise we were in E731 and absolutely loved it! Partly because the balcony was larger, but we loved the view and convenience. It was near the aft elevators and convenient to the HC and dining room on deck 59 (which is not as crowded) We have E730 booked on our next cruise. We have never noticed odors or vibrations either.

Archived