Whittier

jt58203

I've answered my own question....many people do Prince William Sound tours. I'm guessing they keep your luggage. Any other comments out there?

If you are taking the train (not sure about the cruise line buses) down all you have to do is put your cabin tags on it and turn it into the Alaska Railroad personnel (they'll ask for your ID and your cruise information) and then they set it aside and the cruise lines come down and truck it to Whittier. The Railroad can't handle all the cruise luggage. Next time you see it, it will either be in your cabin or right outside your door.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I am doing something kind of different, my travel agent tells me. In fact, she never heard of anyone doing this! We are arriving in Whittier at the end of our cruise. - early in the morning - Rather than rushing into Anchorage, we intend to take a Prince William Sound Cruise and then take the 6:45 pm train into Anchorage.

I am wondering what to do with our luggage between the time we get on the PWS cruise and when we get on the train. Any thoughts?

I am doing something kind of different, my travel agent tells me. In fact, she never heard of anyone doing this! We are arriving in Whittier at the end of our cruise. - early in the morning - Rather than rushing into Anchorage, we intend to take a Prince William Sound Cruise and then take the 6:45 pm train into Anchorage.

I am wondering what to do with our luggage between the time we get on the PWS cruise and when we get on the train. Any thoughts?

PWS will store your bags. Your TA is typical. Overall, they know little about anything independent in Alaska.

we are leaving from Whittier and taking the train from Anchorage so it sounds like our luggage is taken care of...

Do you know if it is possible to check in got your room drop off small carry on stuff and then get back off the boat to go sight seeing since the boat does not leave until late?

I've answered my own question....many people do Prince William Sound tours. I'm guessing they keep your luggage. Any other comments out there?

We did PWS in May at the end of the cruise. After I got off from the ship I called them. They sent the van to pick us up. Store our luggage then, we went for the PWS cruise. Pick up the luggage later.

we are leaving from Whittier and taking the train from Anchorage so it sounds like our luggage is taken care of...

Do you know if it is possible to check in got your room drop off small carry on stuff and then get back off the boat to go sight seeing since the boat does not leave until late?

There is no problem with checking in and then leaving the ship but usually you can't get into your cabin until 1 p.m. so you couldn't drop off your things until then.

Just to let you know there isn't much to see in Whittier (I mean basically everyone in town lives in one building) unless you're taking one of the day glacier cruises out of there.

Susan in Anchorage :)

If you're cruising with Princess, we were some of the last people off the ship (June 1) in Whittier. Princess employees tagged our luggage and took it by bus to Anchorage. We then went on a Major Marine PWS tour. At the end of the tour, the Alaska railroad was waiting. We basically checked in with the conductor (who had our tickets), got on, and as soon as they had everyone aboard, we took off. There is room to store on the train anything you kept with you for the day. I do believe the Alaska Railroad requires advance reservations on the train out of Whittier as there is no "official" train station. When we got to Anchorage, our luggage was waiting under a tent next to the train terminal.

Hope this helps anyone who plans to do it. For us, it was an excellent way to extend our time in PWS prior to getting to Anchorage.

Just to let you know there isn't much to see in Whittier (I mean basically everyone in town lives in one building) unless you're taking one of the day glacier cruises out of there.

Thanks for the information... plan as of now is get back off the ship and hike the Portage Pass Trail and do some photography...

Thanks for the information... plan as of now is get back off the ship and hike the Portage Pass Trail and do some photography...

Good choice. Some beautiful views unless low lying clouds have you socked in. Could be slippery in spots. If you have not already Google Portage Pass Trail or use

www. akhs.akfreeweb.com/Hikes/Portage Pass. htm. Notice the caps.

Archived