Are 3-4 Day Cruises worth it?

I could imagine living in Florida that the 3 or 4 night cruises to either the Bahamas are the Caribbean with one or two ports of call are great getaways. The prices are very attractive, especially in Mid-December just for the Holidays.

What's difficult for me to gauge however, is whether or not it is worth it to go on a short cruise, flying in all the way from New Jersey. I would either pick a cruise embarking from Miami, Ft. Laud., or Tampa, so fortunately I could fly there via Southwest.

But I was wondering if it actually is worth considering going on a 4-day getaway cruise? I wouldn't want to spend too much, but just enough to kick back and relax. Also, it would have to land over a weekend, as I don't want to miss too much work.

I am posting it here because it seems that Carnival has the most of these getaway type cruises with the 8 Fantasy class ships sailing almost year-round 3-5 night cruises.

RCI and Celebrity have some pretty good deals too, but not quite as good as Carnival.

I'm open to all opinions and suggestions!

Iv seen some super deals out of Florida on RCL too, often cheaper than Carnival (but they will have smaller cabins). Too bad you cant go on a longer cruise and can only be away 3 or 4 days. We like 5 days, shorter does seem too short and you just get thru the muster drill and get started and its over.

The 3-night cruises are ridiculous. I had a friend turn 50 in Feb and she's a teacher so we had to cruise Pres. Day Week. So 5 of us went on the Majesty of the Seas, four nights, Mon-Fri. That wasn't TOO bad since we had three FULL days onboard (although EVERY day with the Majesty, unfortunately, is a port day).

However, the price to fly from JFK to MIA that particular week was pretty outrageous. Flying home the following Monday was a MUCH better deal so I ended up doing a b2b (the other four went home...my sister met me for cruise #2, which was Fri-Mon). With the drop in air for flying home Mon, plus the cost of the extra cruise, I ended up spending about $150 more than I would have had I flown home Friday...but I ended up with three extra nights onboard.

Restarting on Fri was kind of like starting anew since the other four left and my sister joined me. So I had a sense of what a 3-night cruise would be and let me tell ya, if that was ALL I had, I would've killed myself.

Not much really goes on on day 1 and you don't leave until 5pm. Sat and Sun are all day in port. Mon at 9am you're already off the ship!

boooooooo!

Coming from NJ, I would be inclined to say no. I live in Arizona so the 2 I've done were via a flight that was under an hour. If you could get a smoking deal, I might say give it a try. But otherwise, I would say to not do one less than 5 days. I enjoyed the 4 day to Cabo because we had 2 sea days to relax but the 3 day didn't feel relaxing at all!

Well, keep in mind, those short duration cruises mainly service folks who live in the area of that particular port. So, if you like like 50 miles away, its a great getaway - so, for them, it would be worth it.

Keep in mind also, there are those who are from Montana, or Kansas or Wisconsin, or Tennesse that would have to fly much farther than you, and for them I would recommend nothing less than a 7 day.

You being from NJ, I would go for a cruise out of NY.. And me being from CA, I will be doing a 7 day caribbean, so I would have to fly all the way over to FL, would not do that for a 4 day.

I could imagine living in Florida that the 3 or 4 night cruises to either the Bahamas are the Caribbean with one or two ports of call are great getaways. The prices are very attractive, especially in Mid-December just for the Holidays.

What's difficult for me to gauge however, is whether or not it is worth it to go on a short cruise, flying in all the way from New Jersey. I would either pick a cruise embarking from Miami, Ft. Laud., or Tampa, so fortunately I could fly there via Southwest.

But I was wondering if it actually is worth considering going on a 4-day getaway cruise? I wouldn't want to spend too much, but just enough to kick back and relax. Also, it would have to land over a weekend, as I don't want to miss too much work.

I am posting it here because it seems that Carnival has the most of these getaway type cruises with the 8 Fantasy class ships sailing almost year-round 3-5 night cruises.

RCI and Celebrity have some pretty good deals too, but not quite as good as Carnival.

we are from PA and we did a 4 days cruise and loved it, but we all agreed we need to go on a longer cruise the next time. We only did 4 day because it was our first cruise and we weren't sure what cruising was about or if we would like it. IMO it is a nice little relaxation, especially if you don't go all out when you get to your port of call.

You just need to decide if you didn't go on a cruise what else would you do and look at the money that would cost, don't forget in the price of a cruise all your food is included, some people forget that and say cruises are too expensive

We choose to live in Florida, in part, for easy access to cruise ship terminals. So for us, the shorter cruises ARE worth it. It's a quick get-away, escape from reality, without using our vacation time.

But if I had to fly in, between the time and expense, I don't think I'd book shorter cruises.

It is most definately worth it. We sailed on the Destiny last Oct and this past Feb and really had a good time. Health issues have come up or we would be doing another 4 day cruise this Oct. Oh well, Feb isn't that far away.:)

We have only done 4 and 5 day cruises and loved every one! We usually stay a day after the cruise in Miami or a day before which helps lengthen the vacation. We cruise 4 and 5 days for various reasons......they are cheaper for the most part........they use less vacation time (especially if they fall over a weekend)......and the kids can't get bored in four or five days! We fly from MD and have always found airfare for under 200 dollars, so for us...it is well worth it. Would I like to do a 7 or 9 day?? #$&& yeah!! Just haven't had the opportunity yet......thought about the Pride out of Baltimore but it was still waaaay cheaper to fly to Miami and take the Destiny! Luv the Destiny! 4 and 5 day cruises and affordable balconies! Good Luck!

We re in CO and did a 4-day out of Cape Canaveral a few years ago. It was our first experience on a large cruise ship. We ended up with one day before and 2 days after on the beach in Cape Canaveral. That made a perfect spring break for our then 15 and 17 kids. When I was looking for a weekend get-away for DH and myself, found this and was too inexpensive to pass up and we were able to take the kids.

BTW, DS (15) loved the teens thing and DD stayed pretty much with us most of the time.

If the port is not close to you, extending it to make a week was really nice for us.

Friday we leave for 5 days on the Triumph and we are doing the same thing - arrive day before and staying two days after the cruise.

I would love to take a longer cruise however we all take our vacation time and spread out how is best for us. I would hate to book a 7-day and have to rush back to reality as soon as we disembark.

JMHO

We choose to live in Florida, in part, for easy access to cruise ship terminals. So for us, the shorter cruises ARE worth it. It's a quick get-away, escape from reality, without using our vacation time.

But if I had to fly in, between the time and expense, I don't think I'd book shorter cruises.

I agree! If you have to fly in it seems like it wouldn't be worth if for the shorter cruise. I like the 7 day. But we are going on the Destiny on August 10th for 5 days for a quick getaway before school starts up again. BUT we can drive to the port.

Living in FL, I think they are a great getaway without using hardly any vacation time.

In fact, we leave on a "shortie" this Thursday!:D

If I lived farther than a days drive from the port....probably not so worth it.

I've done the 4 day Sensation twice out of Port Canaveral - coming from Toronto so we had to fly in.

First trip we stayed a few days before/after in Florida doing Disney, shopping, etc so we were actually away for just over a week.

Second time we my mom, sister and I had a girls trip and just flew in/out for the cruise. The last day was tiring spending all day travelling to get home, but it was still worth it to get away for a few days.

Both trips were AMAZING, and got me hooked on cruising for life!! So, I think the 4 days are great - that said, I am so looking forward to my upcoming 7 day Triumph cruise since the time just flies by on a shorter cruise.

I'm sure you would have a great time if you gave it a try!!

Our first cruise was 5 days & we thought that was too short. Seems to take a while to learn your way around the ship, then you have to leave. I don't think the quickie cruises would satisfy me unless I had been on the ship enough to have the floor plan comitted to memory & I lived really close to port.

3-4 day cruises are very different from 7 day cruises. They are worth it, IMHO, but don't expect the same typ eof experience. The 3 and 4 days are more about just having a blast rather than about relaxing for a week. They have a strong party atmosphere.

I might be less inclined to consider them if I had to fly or even drive a long way to get to them though.

I only do them when I have free or almost free airfare since I live in Maryland. I schedule them around a holiday weekend or as part of a longer vacation. I prefer a longer cruise, but a 3 day is often better than nothing.

Thanks for the replies so far and the good advice.

I think I am getting the sense that a 3-4 day cruise would not be worth it if I have to fly in.

The 5 night cruises are tempting, but that means I would have to take at least 4 days off work and I might as well just do a 7 day cruise and take 5 days off.

Too bad... :(

I'll have to see what's available out of NY, Philly or Baltimore. I would consider a Bermuda cruise but they are too expensive.

I also prefer port days to sea days. I like going to new destinations, even if I end up putting my butt down on a beach and relaxing there.

My hopes & dreams seem pretty much dashed. :(

Archived