Three's a crowd? Or three's company?

My DH and I are all set to cruise on the Freedom, 8/29, and splurged for a suite. Today he tells me "Gee, wouldn't it be nice to invite my mom, she can't afford to go on her own, she's never been on a cruise and would love it, she could share the room with us..." In my head, I'm going ARGGGGHHHH she is a sweet lady, but she is 86 years old and we will be her only company! And she and my DH tend to bicker when they are together for a weekend (my role is the peacemaker), what will a whole 8 days sharing one room be like? And what about those romantic nights on the balcony? We go on two week-long vacations a year, our last was a beach vacation in June with our 9 year old grandson - not exactly relaxing or romantic, though we did have fun! So I was looking forward to it being just the two of us...:(

The flip side is that she is a wonderful woman who really deserves a nice vacation, and I have no doubt she would enjoy it. So I guess I've really answered my own question and we should invite her...:o...then again....

Anyone have any thoughts to share? Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do and how did it turn out?

My DH and I are all set to cruise on the Freedom, 8/29, and splurged for a suite. Today he tells me "Gee, wouldn't it be nice to invite my mom, she can't afford to go on her own, she's never been on a cruise and would love it, she could share the room with us..." In my head, I'm going ARGGGGHHHH she is a sweet lady, but she is 86 years old and we will be her only company! And she and my DH tend to bicker when they are together for a weekend (my role is the peacemaker), what will a whole 8 days sharing one room be like? And what about those romantic nights on the balcony? We go on two week-long vacations a year, our last was a beach vacation in June with our 9 year old grandson - not exactly relaxing or romantic, though we did have fun! So I was looking forward to it being just the two of us...:(

The flip side is that she is a wonderful woman who really deserves a nice vacation, and I have no doubt she would enjoy it. So I guess I've really answered my own question and we should invite her...:o...then again....

Anyone have any thoughts to share? Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do and how did it turn out?

Don't suppose that you would have a connecting room?

Perhaps a connecting room or one across the hall?

Is there a friend she can take along?

Its not easy to make such a decision sometimes.

Maybe you and hubby could plan a shorter cruise later this year and take her along?

Get a smaller cabin for you and hubby, and a room for the MIL....this is a NO-BRAINER! Sure, she may deserve a vacation, but you two deserve some privacy--and she'll want some, too.

Invite her, but get her her own room!!!!!!

Has she ever cruised before? Does she need or does she have a passport? Will she have a problem with sea sickness if the waters are rough?

I would drop down to a balcony cabin and get her an inside, and I would also see if she has a sister or friend that can afford to go with her. I have taken my Mother and her sisters on a couple of trips, and they love to play cards and games while I do the things I like to do. I would rather have a smaller cabin and some privacy though.

We just recently sailed with our 18 year old son for 7 days on the Legend!:) He has sailed with us before, and we knew what to expect!

HOWEVER, if you want 'any' privacy for 8 long days, even in a Suite, you better consider an adjoining cabin, or at the minimum a Cat 11 'aft wrap' on the Spirit class that actually has a seperate bedroom...:D Freedom doesn't have that option..!:(

I LOVE my Mom, but I'm not sure 8 days on a cruise with my 'Mom in law' would 'tickle my fancy'...!! Good luck..!:o

LOL I will be the flip side.

Invite her.

She is 86 years old and seriously, when will she be able to do this again??? Life is too short. While it may be an "inconvenience" now, but after she is gone you will be glad you did.

I truly love it when common sense comes in respect.

I truly love it when common sense comes in respect.
HOWEVER... As the OP said, "she has never been on a cruise"...!! 86 and NEVER sailed on a ship!

I asked my Mom six years ago if she would like to go on a cruise to SEE her son get married... She was very adamant about saying "NO".. send pics she said!!:rolleyes:

As our Mom's and Dad's get older, they apparently get into a 'rut', and just enjoy the company of their friends, and the thought of 'flying' in an airplane or 'cruising' on a ship, are just something they have no inclination to do!:o

Thus, my Mom has enjoyed many days looking at pics of our yearly cruises, but insistently tells me, "its not for me"! :)

Invite her along, BUT IF she truly doesn't like it, be prepared...!;) No matter what you try to do to accomodate her, it will not make her happy! Good luck with your decision.... Everyone on the 'board' has their opinion, but only YOU know (maybe) how the hubby's Mom might react to the situation...

HOWEVER... As the OP said, "she has never been on a cruise"...!! 86 and NEVER sailed on a ship!

I asked my Mom six years ago if she would like to go on a cruise to SEE her son get married... She was very adamant about saying "NO".. send pics she said!!:rolleyes:

As our Mom's and Dad's get older, they apparently get into a 'rut', and just enjoy the company of their friends, and the thought of 'flying' in an airplane or 'cruising' on a ship, are just something they have no inclination to do!:o

Thus, my Mom has enjoyed many days looking at pics of our yearly cruises, but insistently tells me, "its not for me"! :)

Invite her along, BUT IF she truly doesn't like it, be prepared...!;) No matter what you try to do to accomodate her, it will not make her happy! Good luck with your decision.... Everyone on the 'board' has their opinion, but only YOU know (maybe) how the hubby's Mom might react to the situation...

In respect to be given an invitation to cruise , at least give the YL the opportunity to decide for herself :rolleyes:.

YA never know ,until you ask !

In that scenerio, three is certainly a crowd!

My mom travels with us often, but in her own room across the hall. When we foot the bill, or at least part of it, she has our two DS in the room with her.

My MIL is 90 and there is NWIH I would take her on a cruise, much less have her stay in our room.

At your MIL's age she is just as likely to say no as yes. It is a great gesture to make. Since you sail in about 6 weeks you are inside final payment so you cannot downgrade your cabin as has been suggested. You can get her a single cabin near yours, which is probably the best thing to do. Make sure that she has appropriate documents. People born in the early 20s were often born at home and may have never had a need for a real birth certificate, so that might present a real issue. Does she have a government issued phot ID, such as a DL?

Lots of things to consider to make this work.

While it may be a hassle for you and hubby if she goes it might be the thrill of a lifetime for her.

Have a great vacation!

We just recently sailed with our 18 year old son for 7 days on the Legend!:) He has sailed with us before, and we knew what to expect!

HOWEVER, if you want 'any' privacy for 8 long days, even in a Suite, you better consider an adjoining cabin, or at the minimum a Cat 11 'aft wrap' on the Spirit class that actually has a seperate bedroom...:D Freedom doesn't have that option..!

I LOVE my Mom, but I'm not sure 8 days on a cruise with my 'Mom in law' would 'tickle my fancy'...!! Good luck..!

Hi "honey". This is "Mom"!:D Were you paying? When should I be there?:p

Seriously...."Grandma" wants to join DD Katie and I on our cruise to Alaska on the Spirit. She was wondering if we got a cat 11 instead of our 8A we could all share a cabin. I was looking at the ship plans and it looked like there were no cat 11 afts that slept 3. Was I looking at it wrong or all sold out already? It looks like only side cat 11's are available that sleep 3.:(

You never call...you never write.......;)

LOL I will be the flip side.

Invite her.

She is 86 years old and seriously, when will she be able to do this again??? Life is too short. While it may be an "inconvenience" now, but after she is gone you will be glad you did.

I must say I agree. While I cannot stand my MIL if later in life my husband decides he would like to invite her on vacation, I would agree. Mainly because that is family, and that's what you do.

HOWEVER, I also strongly reccomend getting her her own cabin. While they are our family members and we should take care of them, vacation is for relaxing, and rejuvenation. If you cant do that then what's the point. Call a PVP and see what kindof deal you can get on an inside cabin. invite her over for drinks before dinner, Plan out your days including her, but not around her. Have a nice long talk with you DH and remind him that while she is there, it's not about her.

I think regardless you will have fun.

my mother has been more then a baby sister for our kids, we took her on a cruise. three to a suite. she had her capers highlighted, did own thing on ocassions. joined us for many exursions. BUT she understood our vacation too. my mom is 72, mom enjoyed a piano bar evening and the shows. your mom at 86, is she active? to enjoy these activities.? can she roam on her own? i say inform her of the intineray and take her with. shoot mom went without us on her next cruise. took her 76 year old friend.

Archived