What's your favorite US departure port?

What's your Favorite US Departure Port?  

417 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite US Departure Port?

We have to fly no matter where we sail from so ease to the port from the airport is key. Of the ports used....

San Diego

Ft Lauderdale

Miami

San Pedro

Bayonne

Seattle

Vancouver

Galveston is a real pain and costly so that would be last on my list.

Voted for LA (San Pedro) because we can drive there. I agree with SamFritz that Galveston port is not very good option if you have to fly in - transportation options are minimal and costly from either airport. Also, the hotels are too pricey for what they are and in some cases require a two nite min. Seattle also has a nice skyline and is within a reasonable taxi/shuttle ride from the airport.

I have sailed from New Orleans, Vancouver, Port Canaveral, San Diego, and Seattle (Pier 91). My favorite in terms of service is Port Canaveral, in terms of convenience would be San Diego, in terms of view would probably also be San Diego, but I liked Seattle and Vancouver as well. But my absolute most favorite port is whatever port I happen to be sailing from next (in this case, most likely Fort Lauderdale). Happy sailing

Anne:)

Not exactly easy to get to, but spending a couple of pre-cruise days in Seward was pure relaxation. You spend a couple of days enjoying this pristine sleepy fishing harbor, and then on cruise morning you step out of your hotel door to the sight of this beautiful cruise ship dwarfing the harbor and then almost literally step onboard the ship.

I can't imagine better. :rolleyes:

A lot of people seem to like Port Canaveral! Port Canaveral is in the lead by far with 68 votes! Miami is still in second with 44 votes, Ft. Lauderdale is still in 3rd, and Galveston has taken over 4th place! Bayonne is still in 5th, and San Juan fell to 6th! Followed by Baltimore in 7th, San Diego & Tampa tied for 8th, Los Angeles & Norfolk tied for 9th, Boston is in 10th, and Seattle & Seward are tied for 11th with 1 vote each!

For a First Time Cruiser.... nothing beats the ambiance of the Port of Miami BUT.......... I think Boston is the EASIEST for checking in. MassPort has PLENTY of people waiting and eager to asssit with your embarkation. SMOOTH..........

I've cruised out of many ports many times and far and away the worst is Boston. In order to check your luggage, you and it have to stand in line. No porters where you are left off, just the horrible line.

Once inside, again an endless line.

Miami all the way!!!!

Another vote for Port Canaveral. Mainly because for us it is only about a 40 minute drive (Unfortunately always the same itineraries and we've done all a couple of times -- Wish they would add something new!

We loved sailing out of San Juan and San Diego, Miami and Ft Lauderdale are OK.

I like (and dislike) different ones for different reasons...

Port Caneveral had an easy embarkation and debarkation process. Also more choices with ships and itineraries. On the flip side it is a little bit of a tease. I would at some point like to get to Disney World and the surrounding parks but I don't have enough vacation time to add on after/before the cruise. Plus you have the cost of airfare and hotel.

Ft Lauderdale is similar - easy embarkation, varied ships and itineraries, but then there is the added cost of airfare and hotel.

There was nothing good about Miami.

Baltimore is a perfect location for us since we only live 15 minutes away. But because of the D*** bridge we can only have smaller ships -- which, these days means older ones. Unless you are able to take a longer cruise the itineraries aren't that great either. There aren't a lot of Caribbean ports it can get to, and I'd much rather drive up to NE as opossed to a cruise.

Mine still has to be San Francisco. The terminal is old, the parking and traffic stink, but its 30 minutes from my house :D

Plus, there is nothing like going out and returning back in through the Golden Gate :cool:

Bayonne, NJ because it's so easy -- if only they could get you on board without the little ride on the bus -- so annoying! Vicki:)

The bus ride from where to the ship? Do you meant the main gate?

Archived