When Does Tip Talk On a Tour Get On Your Nerves?

SamFritz

Wow, I have never had a tour guide ask for a tip that blatantly. I don't think you should ask at all.

If anything, it should be mentioned in any booking information such as on your on-line web-site or any confirmation/paperwork that you send out before the tour. Asking like that would turn most people off. Your web site may state "Gratuites are always appreciated and are not included in the tour price".

Btw, tipping is not customary in ALL countries, although people should do what is customary in the country they are visiting. It's also not expected to be paid to an owner of a company (I'm thinking of guides in Europe) although we leave something to an owner, usually rounding up the amount.

Edited by Jade13

I don't know how the system works over there in the USA but if someones wages are made up of nearly all tips how does the person do their tax return. I presume that the percentage of people who are actually honest and report their actual takings ie tips and pay the appropriate taxes are a minute proportion of the workforce. Seems to me the OP is on a pretty good wicket the way he has it set up.

In Australia we get paid a wage' date=' pay tax out of that wage each week and then at the end of the financial year we either get money back or pay extra. The majority of workers get money back. It seems to me a much fairer system than the one there where people who work for tips don't pay tax or very little.

How does it actually work over there, have I got it wrong? How does your IRA check whether people are actually paying the correct tax?[/quote']

Our basic tax system works like yours -- taxes are taken out of regular wages automatically.

As for tips -- supposedly the employer reports to the government his workers that receive wages, and who also receive tips. It's up to the workers to report their tips. If the government doesn't receive reporting from those workers, they're supposed to go after them...but don't, unless there is a huge discrepancy, or someone else reports them. Obviously restaurants and service industries like touring are scrutinized more closely than elsewhere, but there are too many of them for 100% accounting to happen.

And then of course there are the workers in my rural community that work for cash only. Nothing gets reported to anyone, and they keep whatever they earn. This requires that both the worker and the person paying him understand that this a cash only transaction, and neither one reports either paying for services, or receiving cash for services rendered. Illegal, but happens all the time.

I don't know how the system works over there in the USA but if someones wages are made up of nearly all tips how does the person do their tax return. I presume that the percentage of people who are actually honest and report their actual takings ie tips and pay the appropriate taxes are a minute proportion of the workforce. Seems to me the OP is on a pretty good wicket the way he has it set up.

In Australia we get paid a wage' date=' pay tax out of that wage each week and then at the end of the financial year we either get money back or pay extra. The majority of workers get money back. It seems to me a much fairer system than the one there where people who work for tips don't pay tax or very little.

How does it actually work over there, have I got it wrong? How does your IRA check whether people are actually paying the correct tax?[/quote']

They sic Tim Geitner after them!!:D

A couple of signs on the bus "reminding" people to tip bothers me, but not enough that I would refuse to tip the guide/driver. Any verbal mention of tipping by the guide/driver will result in me giving half the tip I was originally planning to give.

A handshake when getting off the bus and your "comment" about tipping then? You will receive no tip at all.

And you say you have only had 1 complaint in 8 years? Maybe most people are like me and wouldn't complain, but just wouldn't tip you, and wouldn't use your tour company ever again.

I worked as a waitress for 12 years, not once did I ever beg for tips as you are doing. You say you are not begging, yes, you ARE begging every time you mention tips.

And to the person who asked about income tax for servers in restaurants, where I worked we were taxed on 8% of the sales for the shift hours we worked. So there was no need for reporting our tips at the end of the night.

Work like you don't need the money

Dance like no one is watching

Sing like no one is listening

Love like you've never been hurt

- and live life every day as if it were your last..

Awesome post and great advice!

BTW, even though I said that I was ok with the sign, I am definitely not ok with telling me how much to tip. I will decide that.

I recently went on a cruise and on each excursion there was a comment made about tipping. What excursions are you people going on that people are not mentioning tips? I did not feel put off by the asking of tips although on each of the tours it was only mentioned once at the end. I did tip because I had a good time on the tour and realize that a good portion of what I paid has gone to the cruise line and not to the tour guide. That is my choice to book cruise tours instead of individual tours.

If you had a bad tour then by all means there is no reason to tip, but just because someone mentions the tip shouldn't be an automatic reason not to tip.

I feel that the OP has been listening to our advice. He has clearly stated that he is going to rethink the wording of his last comment. That is listening, he does not have to completely stop asking for tips just because you told him to. There is no need to belittle him for asking for tips, he is not the only person who does so.

How does it actually work over there' date=' have I got it wrong? How does your IRA check whether people are actually paying the correct tax?[/quote']

Employers who operate food and beverage services must file a form to the IRS attirbuting 8% of each tipped employee's sales to their wages. Tipped employees pay taxes on these tips, just as though they are wages. If a tipped employee does not receive an average of 8% of their sales in tips, they can keep a detailed log and report the actual amount. Of course, if they receive more than 8% they are on the honor system for paying taxes on the balance. This requirement is only for food and beverage service employees. Other tipped employees are on the honor system to report their income. As was mentioned, Tim Geithner may find it uncomfortable pursing any delinquencies :rolleyes:

To the OP: As others have said, the sign (without the %) is fine. The first mention would annoy me because of the tone. I've been on many excursions and if a guide mentioned a tip it was far more subtle and focused on whether the guide added an extra degree of enjoyment to the trip. The last mention would put your tip from my hand into my pocket. It would also net a complain to the tour company.

When on an excursion I always tip. If the guide is exceptional I up the amount from 15%. I don't mind if the tipping issue is mentioned once. I also don't mind the sign telling folks that tips are gladly accepted. If however I was on your tour and you made your ending statement about helping people off the bus and accepting tips I would feel very uncomfortable and actually insulted. I would think twice before giving you a tip. In fact you might only get a handshake from me.

In all my years of cruising, I've never had someone "suggest" to me that I should tip them. I tip based on the service that I receive. If I feel it's above and beyond, what a regular tour would be, then I tip generously.

We went parasailing in St. Thomas the other day and there was a sign

stating "guides work for tips and they work very hard." We read the sign and when it was done, the guys got each a $25 tip. We loved the excursion and even bought the t shirts afterwards.

My suggestion is to tip based on the service that you receive. If you keep reminding me, you're going to become annoying and pushy and then you don't get diddly squat from me.

Well, you could just let me fall off the bus instead of helping me down...no tip from me under your circumstances. I tip according to service, not by being bullied and reminded constantly. On our recent cruise, the porter at the port of San Juan opened the van and started removing our luggage...there were six of us...and lots of luggage. He never mentioned a tip, he just asked if we enjoyed San Juan and if we had ever cruised before. As the porter was retrieving the luggage, another young man ran over and grabbed the last two small bags, then looked at my DH and said didn't we have a tip for him too? DH handed him a dollar. We tipped the original porter $25. Honestly, if I were on your tour, I would complain to your company.

I don't generally take tours. But the few I have taken, I have left a small tip, but nothing like 15%. Ship tours are expensive, 15% on top of the tour price seems excessive.

For example, did a tour in Egypt once, paid $200 each, even 10% would be a lot of money in Egypt. I think I tipped $5 at the end pp.

Had to think about this one- I think I am a great tipper overall, since I understand the service industry and the reliance of those tips to supplement income. However, I would have a problem with your "three step" method. Perhaps, just the sign would be a reminder enough for me that you are indeed giving a service that should be rewarded for a job well done. I don't really mind this myself, as there have been some occassions/places where I am not quite sure of the etiquette on tips. I'm on the fence about the first verbal "reminder"; if I were to do that myself, I would probably do some kind of FAQ with your first introduction, and casually mention "tips are greatly appreciated"- that is, if I even decided to mention it at all (most likely, I wouldn't).

Your last statement really does bother me-are you trying to pressure me, bully me or just make me feel so guilty?

Please re-think your method, and try some of these hints and see what the difference is for you!

Actually, we've never taken an excursion where there were any blatant tip signs, jars, or verbal "reminders" about tipping. (Note: We do not take ship excursions, just private ones.)

We have our own "tip rules" for various things. For example, if we're on a shuttle ride from place X to place Y and the driver handles our luggage, gives a bit of background and history of the area during the ride, and is pleasant, my DH tips him/her at the end of the ride about $5 or $2/bag he handles. If he/she has been particularly caring (helping someone with physical disabilities; making sure people are comfortable; generally being fun and professional at the same time, my DH will tip more for the "enjoyment" factor because let's face it, shuttle rides can either be a ride from hell or a pleasant beginning or ending to a trip.

Typically, we explore on our own, but we do take boat excursions often. On those trips, we tip a minimum of $10 and more if the crew has gone above and beyond expectations. Here's an example: One time on a Maui Dive Shop snorkel excursion during whale season, the boat captain (and I) saw a couple of spouts far away from our route back to Kihei. He decided to head toward the small pod. Now, it's illegal to get too close to whales and other marine life, so he was very careful to track their path (and got the excursion passengers involved in the "hunt"). Once he got the boat near the whale's travel path, he shut down (as required by law) and we waited. We were treated to the best whale experience we've ever had. It was a family pod with dad showing baby how to breach, etc. It was hysterical and so wonderful to watch. The captain asked the passengers if they were having fun and then radioed in to about what was happening and said we'd be 45 minutes or so late returning (didn't affect any afternoon excursions). As usual, the regular excursion was great, but what the captain and crew did that time made it special. When we got close to the boat docks, my DH asked the captain if there was a tip jar available. The captain said that there was and my DH put in $40, which prompted the other passengers to contribute as well. The thing is that the captain and crew had not mentioned tipping--not once and not even obliquely--until my DH brought it up. Usually, they will simply place the tip jar on the helm deck as the boat is brought into the dock. They do not say one word or point out that it's there because their feeling is that if passengers had a good time, they will tip accordingly and if they don't tip that's the way it goes.

For us, anything beyond a small notice or a tip jar at the end of an excursion is too much "pushing" for tips. To be reminded at the beginning and at the end, and to have it "hammered in" that the "employees rely on tips for a good part of their salary" annoys us.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

beachchick...

what a great story...

and that just shows how the spirit of Aloha works....

Hopefully this will be something the op can learn to embrace

Unfortunately, the OP has decided that they are doing nothing wrong and that those of us who point out the problems in his methods are wrong.

I doubt he will ever grasp how to treat his guests with respect in regards to tipping, he will never accept that a tip should be earned and not rightfully his regardless of what he does or says during the tour.

It is very sad, as had he embraced our opinions and guidance, he may well have found himself earning much higher tips...possibly over and above the stated 15%...had he removed the signage and dropped the references to tipping in his spiel. But he knows best apparently, so I guess he will just have to continue as a steering wheel attendant.....he has also tarred his fellow drivers with his brush too, so if there are any decent ones amongst them who now start losing out, they only need to look in the OP's direction as to the reason.

It is very sad, as had he embraced our opinions and guidance, he may well have found himself earning much higher tips...possibly over and above the stated 15%...had he removed the signage and dropped the references to tipping in his spiel.

I thought of this thread this week when we took a cavern tour. Our guide (not a driver/guide, obviously) was so informative and entertaining, he really increased our enjoyment of the cavern. There was not one single mention of tips. No signs, no verbal "gratuity education" that he relied on tips (much less a suggested percentage), nada. I tipped him 30% of the very reasonable tour price. (Ex-waitress, as previously stated. We tend to be generous when we feel it's deserved.)

Caro

I just did the math & a tour that cost $35pp @ 15% tip = $5.25pp times approx. 25 persons on the bus = $131.25 per day times 5 days = $656.25 per week plus the driver/guides pay.. Not a bad weeks work in todays economy.

Or $20pp @15%tip = $3pp times 25 persons = $75 per day times 5 days = $375 per week + pay..

Minumum wage in Penna. $7.25 X 40 hrs = $290 a week before taxes. Way more in both scenerios then a lot of people earn today & the bulk of the income is TAX FREE as the government can not know what they actually make & which in the long run is a bonus in itself. So please stop the whinning. As I said before I am a generous tipper but not when someone trys to put me on a guilt trip because this is the work they chose to do...

Thanks for laying it out in plain fact for everyone to see.

So, what is with adding 15% to EVERYTHING I buy on a cruise ship? Shouldn't that be my decision?

Thanks for laying it out in plain fact for everyone to see.

So, what is with adding 15% to EVERYTHING I buy on a cruise ship? Shouldn't that be my decision?

I don't think they DO "add 15% to everything". Only 15% to liquor, or sodas bought at the bar. There was no added gratuity to the coffees I bought, nor is there anything added in any of the shops. And $12/per person per day service charge (for NCL cruises, for example) hardly comes to a 15% gratuity per meal served, not to mention the other things that are part of the service charge.

I don't think they DO "add 15% to everything". Only 15% to liquor, or sodas bought at the bar. There was no added gratuity to the coffees I bought, nor is there anything added in any of the shops. And $12/per person per day service charge (for NCL cruises, for example) hardly comes to a 15% gratuity per meal served, not to mention the other things that are part of the service charge.

Sorry if anyone misunderstood I was not talking about the gratuities on the ship, the crew works very hard & deserve the $10pp a day we pay on Carnival, I was speaking of tour guides/drivers you encounter on shore excursions. In fact I have not been on a cruise that I have not 1st & formost completed the comment cards, written to Carnival personally to let them know about the ship's staff & my PVP & lastly gave an additional tip to the waiters, room stewards & the bar staff as they all made my vacation with their cheerful smiles & hellos that much better...I know the comment cards & letters are read & shared with the employees because my PVP has thanked me for the time I took to write the letter. :D

It seem that the same people to go on and on about how much more you should tip on the ships are the same ones that are negative about your approach to earning your living. That being said, I would not tip you either. Not because of your signs or pleading for the tip, but because that is the trade that you have chosen. It is a minimum wage job and minimum wage is all that it is worth. You could go to school and learn a trade so that you didn’t have to rely on tips for your income.

The next time a plumber or an electrician comes to your house, be sure to tip him 15%.

It seem that the same people to go on and on about how much more you should tip on the ships are the same ones that are negative about your approach to earning your living. That being said, I would not tip you either. Not because of your signs or pleading for the tip, but because that is the trade that you have chosen. It is a minimum wage job and minimum wage is all that it is worth. You could go to school and learn a trade so that you didn’t have to rely on tips for your income.

The next time a plumber or an electrician comes to your house, be sure to tip him 15%.

In the OP's defense, he said he is a teacher so he already HAS gone to school to learn a trade. He said the excursion bus driving job is a secondary job.

In the OP's defense, he said he is a teacher so he already HAS gone to school to learn a trade. He said the excursion bus driving job is a secondary job.

You have to remember one thing - teachers are paid way more in Canada than they are in the US. I believe the OP is making a very nice wage; I've been married to a teacher for 32 years and we're not suffering. Maybe the OP has extra bills he wants to pay, or a cottage at a lake or who knows what, but has taken the bus touring as a second salary, not his main source of income.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Everytime we take the water taxi from Nassau to Paradise Island--this guy points out all the celebrity homes on the ride by screaming at the top of his lungs right into your ear if you are seated near him. Then he has the nerve to ask for a tip because that is his only source of income.

Why doesn't he buy a megaphone with his tips and save his vocal cords and our ear drums? I told him I would tip him to sit down and stop yelling.

Although I don't agree with OP's approach, neither do I agree with this comment. OP is a teacher by profession (although he should cut out "teaching" about tips). Also, MANY tour guides are highly educated and speak many languages. They add a great deal to my enjoyment of an area, and I tip generously in appreciation. But I will not be coerced.

(And not all tour guides are created equal.)

Kathy