Cruise director-what is rci thinking

[quote name='ChipLondon']You are entitled to your opinion, I do not share it. In my opinion she is a really good CD. We have sailed with her 4 times on different ships, and she has always been fab, alot of entertainers have a catch phrase "Hello Clo" is hers, inviting guests to speak to her around the ship, showing that she is approachable. How do your friends address you, if you don't care for Hello?[/quote]

Blimey - now I'm feeling picked on!

I just don't care for constantly repeated catchphrases ok?

Just back from Enchantment and had Rico as CD. He was very energetic and approachable & we thought he did a great job. The Village People tribute on 70's night was great. DW says he is not hard to look at at all & he seemed to be a hit with the ladies. His staff was also excellent. Good job Rico!

[quote name='HB Cruiser']Exactly as I feel. If I never run into him on a ship it will be too soon. Never have I had a CD that was so fake. If they were you could not tell it as you can on him..

Tim[/quote]
You think that's bad. I saw him in the steam room. Wish I hadn't.

• 2 months later...
[quote=Sailing the C's;20673732]Hi Everyone

Just got back from my first cruise (so I'm not quite a voice of experience here!), we were on Adventure of the Seas and had Chris Northey as our cruise director. I thought he was fabulous - very personable, funny and he defintely livened things up. If it weren't for him, some of the nightly shows would have been pretty dull.
[/quote]

We just returned from the AOS with Northey. We found him unfunny, self promoting and annoying! A perfect dj radio voice but that's it. Prior cd two years ago was MikeSzwajkowski who was the bomb!

[quote=Iceman's Mum;20958899]
Had Gordon Whatman on our first cruise. He was lovely but not particularly lively. Perhaps better suited to a slightly older age range of people.[COLOR=red]Love Gordon!!! Not only a good entertainer, but a very efficient CD - no nonsense when he's on board.[/COLOR]

Only criticism we have had is that Graham did not attend the Meet & Mingle on our cruise in May and it would have been nice if someone had bothered (it was all left to one poor lonely young crew member). [COLOR=red]Just off the Indie and when I asked why Graham Seymour was not there, the rather cocky Activities "manager" informed me that on RCCL neither the CD nor the Captain ever attend M&M's. Would not take my word for it that on other RCCL ships they do - but of course her three years on RCCL qualify her opinion rather than ours, although we have been on many RCCL ships!!! On another ship, I was told the Captain only turns up for gatherings of over 150 people. On the Navigator, both Captain Bang and Captain Sullivan turned up - it makes for such a different atmosphere.[/COLOR] Mind you there were only 17 of us so perhaps they thought it wasn't worth it. Shame, as we were a fantastic group, all got along well and had A LOT of fun.

[COLOR=red]On the Indie we never saw Graham once around the ship. In his defence, apparently he was nearing the end of his contract - he had been on board for 10 months, I was informed - I imagine he was just burnt out!!![/COLOR]

Although I would not specifically book a cruise just because of the CD, I certainly think it's a bonus when a "good" one is scheduled to be on board.[/quote]

On our coming Brilliance B2B I have been informed it will be either Kieron or Matt Sole. Anyone heard of Matt?

We had a English chap called simeon in May on the Nav he was a bit dull. Jewel has currently Keith Williams and he seems a nice chap very in your face always saw him around the ship and he seemed to be at every show & came to our very small Meet and mingle.

I've been only on 2 RCCL cruises, one on the Freedom and the other on the Liberty.

James Andrews was fantastic. First time I knew or cared what a CD did to enhance ones cruise. On the Liberty, the CD was Richard Spacey. I didn't like him at first. I felt that he was just too full of himself, but by mid week he grew on me. I ended really enjoying him.

But, my biggest problem with the CDs were that the jokes and skits were exactly alike. I found this to be very disappointing. It made me feel that they were really just fake.

Why do they do this? It this the same for all of the other ships? I don't know if I would go to see them if it's all the same stuff coming out of a different mouth.

Archived