Cruise director-what is rci thinking

My family has only been on 2 cruises, so we are no experts on Cruise Directors. I think it's one of those things where you're not sure what you'd like, until you see something you don't like. Our first cruise was on AOS 3 years ago and I believe Richard Spacey was our CD. My husband really appreciated his energy and go-go-go style :). Our 2nd cruise was last year on the pre-inaugural sailing of Carnival Splendor (my bad - I thought the first scheduled sailing of a new ship on any line would be brilliant, but we won't be sailing Carnival again). The CD on that cruise was John Heald who seems to be a big deal in Carnival circles, but for the life of me, my DH and I couldn't figure out how he seemed to amass such a large following. We didn't find him particularly amusing, and his effort to launch a "morning talkshow" broadcast from the teen lounge looked like a Grade 6 communications project gone bad :(.

OK, everyone always talks about their favorite CD.............but no one mentions the not so good CD's.

I have been on the Monarch several times and I can't figure out how Jimmy Rhoades got that position. He is the "invisible" CD. Passengers from each of the cruises that I have been on have all commented that he is never seen. He does not even introduce all evening shows. Never has showed his face in the Quest, nor attend any pool side activities.

Where is he all day and what does he do we all asked each other. The only time we saw him at a show was the 70's show.

We had Jimmy Rhodes on our 4 Night Monarch cruise from Monday 6th July to Friday 10th 2009. We thought he was great. I had an interview with Jimmy on this cruise and he told me that he does not host some of the activities during the 3 night cruise (like for instance the Quest) due to the fact that there's just so much for him personally to do on the 3 night cruises that he cant do everything. He didn’t host the belly flop but was standing right next to the pool giving away free cocktails if you could guess what it was... We thought he had a nice personality and was all over the ship trying to keep everyone happy in between his paperwork and meetings.

Some people are maybe a bit too critical.

my friend just got off the jewel of the ses and he said joff eaton was the best cruise director he ever had,joff eaton is always around the ship and he will stop and talk to you,at seaday he works around the pool and talks to every body,he will be going to the independence of the sea in november

I agree that Joff Eaton is a great cruise director. On sea days he had his own progressive trivia show and it was so much fun. Bingo boy Steve his assistant had the best stories for bingo and him and Joff made a great team! The hosted 70's nights was one of the best I have ever seen!

We had Rico on Enchantment a few weeks ago. He was not around as much as I have seen on other cruises.

His jokes were just dumb when introducing shows, I just really didn't care for him. Actually other then Ritchie, I did not think the activities staff were as good as the last time I was on Enchantment.

But it had no effect on my cruise, had a great time.

that means you have not had the fortune of running into Abe. He is so fine it is hard to believe he is safe on the ship with the passangers. I know I would take him home in a heartbeat.

I would have to concur. My teenage daughters just LOVED Abe so much on the Mariner last week that they had to go to every show just to watch/listen to him, lol ;). They even got a great pic with him after the farewell show, he is a great and personable CD!

I've been cruising over 40 years and am hard pressed to come up with the names of more than two cruise directors. Most cruise directors during our first 15 or so years of cruising had to have a real talent, such as a good voice or be able to play an instrument, because they were part of the entertainment. That's very rare these days but on our last two Carnival cruises the CD's were performers...and both quite good at their specialties. The last really good CD we had on RCI was on a Splendour TA but he was leaving the line a month after our cruise. He was good because he didn't follow the same script that all the CD's seem to follow as if it is sent to them from the corporate entertainment department. On our last cruise (Princess) we had lunch with the CD. On Princess he is rated three stripes which is one below those with four stripes...Captain, Chief Engineer, Hotel Manager...and has the power to fire but not hire staff and entertainers. The hiring is done by the cruise line.

We just finished our first cruise ever on RCCL. We had a fabulous time and Jimmy was great! He headed up a lot of the entertainment venues and if he wasn't there then his "second-hand man" was...can't remember his name, but he was entertaining as well. We saw Jimmy when he hosted the Love and Marriage show and he was a great hit...along with the 70's show our first night at sea. We saw Jimmy several times in the hall and he was really nice and was ready to talk to us....he was not in a hurry to run away. It as a great first cruise. Hope to do it again!

OK, everyone always talks about their favorite CD.............but no one mentions the not so good CD's.

I have been on the Monarch several times and I can't figure out how Jimmy Rhoades got that position. He is the "invisible" CD. Passengers from each of the cruises that I have been on have all commented that he is never seen. He does not even introduce all evening shows. Never has showed his face in the Quest, nor attend any pool side activities.

Where is he all day and what does he do we all asked each other. The only time we saw him at a show was the 70's show.

I just was on the Monarch last week. Jimmy Rhoades was at EVERYTHING I attended. He was introduced all the shows I saw, game shows included. He introduced all of the pool competitions. He also was at The Quest...the whole time. I saw him about the ship on several different occasions as well so....maybe you just weren't in the areas he was at?

This is why i love cruise critic!

We can all give our thoughts and experiences!

I would be glad to see jimmy again, did a repositioning cruise with him many years ago and it was a blast!

Think it has to do with ship and crowd!

Dan the man is gone also!

First cruise ever was on the Serenade 2006 and we had Matt Sol. We never saw him around except at the shows.

2007/2008 on the Brilliance we had Bill Brunkhorst and he was totally visible. He was a little over the top in his schtick but he was also extremely easy to talk to. He might have been cheesy but he seemed genuinely happy at his job.

I had Abe on MOS in March during the Mexican cruise. However this was my very first cruise and before that I didn't even know what a Cruise Director was or even why we needed one. So I didn't have any expectations so I can't judge or compare. Anyone had Abe before and can give me an idea if he's average, below average or above average?

Okay, I'll put my head on the chopping block here, and be the only one to say that Richard Spacey is my least favorite CD. He's SO full of himself... we couldn't stand him. I kept wondering what everyone sees in him. Then I watched, and heard, him cutting down and being crass about passengers in between 'takes' of one of his live interviews. If I never see him again, I don't care who else I get!

Just got off the Voyager August 9, and I've got to say, Mercedes de la Fuente was the low point of the cruise. She seemed like she was just going through the motions. I never got a feeling of hospitality from her. I felt more welcomed by some of her staff, namely Gio and Simonna, who were funny, gracious and enthusiastic!

Maybe it's me, but she needs to take CD lessons from Clo O'Connor, who is the best CD I've ever seen, IMHO.

This is Barbara

Dennis and I were on Vision of the seas for 45 cruises. All but two times we
had John Blair and his wife Katrina. We got to know them very well. All you
posters that didnt like him, obviously you did not get to know him at all. They
both became friends of ours. When Dennis had to be in the hospital on ship,
they came to see him which I thought was very nice.

After I got word to him (he is on the Granduer now, but on vacation until Sept.)
they called me to give me their condolances.

John does his best to meet and talk to people on board his ship. He is an
excellent singer, but he doesnt get much opportunity to do so, just the
welcome aboard show and once a while on another show. I wish RCCL would
give him a late night show. He does a fabulous job of singing Neil Diamond songs.

barbara,

i agree with you about john blair. he is our favorite. we have sailed with john and his wife 28 days total aboard the vision of the seas. after our first sailing with them, we were remembered and always treated like family. on our last sailing, john was in the centrum handing out tender tickets, when he saw my DW helping and advising some first timers with their tendering concerns, and the next day he sent a bottle of wine to our room. i also believe he had something to do with our invite to dine with the captain.

one nite the hotel director invited us for drinks and during the conversation, he explained how john always went the extra mile behind the scenes to help with any personal issues the crew may have.

john is a truly gracious gentleman and, yeah, barbara, a great singer!

[quote name='grandsix']If we have an issue with a CD, we ask for a meeting and explain to him or her our feelings. We would not anonymously blast them on Cruise Critic.[/quote]

That's what we did when on our Mediterranean Cruise. We were unhappy with the CD and his staff for a few things. We talked with him at length. He was great about it. We saw that he tried to initiate some changes. Even got a handwritten note and a bottle of wine. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was!! Maybe one of you know who was on the Celebrity Galaxy in 2006.

Archived