Cruise director-what is rci thinking

You must sail on Radiance with Kirk Deitweiler. Don't know where that boy gets all his energy. Kirk runs the line dancing and hukilah classes on all his cruises, plus other activities as well. He is very personable, will always stop and chat with the pax and also has a drive for perfection not only for himself but of his staff as well.

I am another Kirk fan! We have only been on two cruises with him, but think he's the best, most personable, and likable. Of all of our cruises, I can only name 2 other CD's as the rest were not memorable.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, everyone always talks about their favorite CD.............but no one mentions the not so good CD's.

Ksuds: we were on Grandeur with you in February - I though Dan Whitney did more than the CD's on the other 5 cruises I'd been on. That being, said, I've enjoyed all of our CD's - all have offered something different and none (thank goodness) have been "invisible".

I just got off Freedom this past sunday and we had an amazing cruise that was largely due to the involvement of Allan Brooks. It was his first week on Freedom and we thought he was absolutely hilarious as we watched in awe wondering how he made it through the day because he was literally EVERYWHERE, and when he was not at a scheduled event he was always visible and friendly beyond his call of duty. Not only was he EVERYWHERE but he always gave 110% and we simply could not understand how one person could have so much energy. We have been on Freedom before and while the shows were fantastic we had seen almost all of them before and found ourselves enjoying Allans comedy and skits before and after the productions almost more entertaining then the shows themself. This is the first time in 4 cruises that we have even noticed a cruise director before. I couldn't tell you one of my cruise directors name from the past. He definitely MADE our cruise so so so enjoyable. He made us want to attend everything he would be at. Okay, im sure you guys get it by now we LOVE allan brooks!!!:D

I just got off Freedom this past sunday and we had an amazing cruise that was largely due to the involvement of Allan Brooks. It was his first week on Freedom and we thought he was absolutely hilarious as we watched in awe wondering how he made it through the day because he was literally EVERYWHERE, and when he was not at a scheduled event he was always visible and friendly beyond his call of duty. Not only was he EVERYWHERE but he always gave 110% and we simply could not understand how one person could have so much energy. We have been on Freedom before and while the shows were fantastic we had seen almost all of them before and found ourselves enjoying Allans comedy and skits before and after the productions almost more entertaining then the shows themself. This is the first time in 4 cruises that we have even noticed a cruise director before. I couldn't tell you one of my cruise directors name from the past. He definitely MADE our cruise so so so enjoyable. He made us want to attend everything he would be at. Okay, im sure you guys get it by now we LOVE allan brooks!!!:D
good to hear that he gonna be my cruise director in december cant wait

Jimmy Rhoades was the CD on my last Majesty cruise and I thought he was very good. He was at all the events I went to and he was absolutely hilarious at Quest. Not so fav would be Karen Mayberry. Very boring and no personality IMHO

Hi Everyone

Just got back from my first cruise (so I'm not quite a voice of experience here!), we were on Adventure of the Seas and had Chris Northey as our cruise director. I thought he was fabulous - very personable, funny and he defintely livened things up. If it weren't for him, some of the nightly shows would have been pretty dull.

Anyone know if you can find out who is scheduled to be a ship's CD before you book in for the cruise? By the sounds of some of these other posts, there's some CD's out there to avoid!!

Thanks!

I've only been on three RCI cruises, with the worst CD being Ken Blair on the Vision in April of '08. He hosted along with his wife Katrina, who wasn't bad, but Ken seemed to be very full of himself. Everytime I saw the guy (which wasn't much, thank god!) he was singing, which he seemed to think he was quite good at....but he wasn't! Of course, I was probably spoiled by having Richard Spacey on my previous cruise on the Freedom, who was excellent, but I just wasn't a fan of Ken. Taking my next cruise on the Mariner next month so I hope we have a better CD. If not, no big deal, because we will have fun either way!!

My favorite cruise directors have been women. One was Cloe, and I don't remember the name of the other, but I think she was British and she reminded me of Kate Jackson. I enjoy having a new CD for each cruise, so that it doesn't feel like the same cruise again.

The OP asked what do they do all day. We went on a backstage tour once, and the cruise director attended for the C&A about the entertainment. It appears that the CD is in charge of planning all of the activities, coordinating all of the entertainers, assigning staff to all activities, supervising staff, etc. So the majority of their work is behind the scenes. It actually sounded like a huge and exhausting job.

My favorite cruise directors have been women. One was Cloe, and I don't remember the name of the other, but I think she was British and she reminded me of Kate Jackson. I enjoy having a new CD for each cruise, so that it doesn't feel like the same cruise again.

Are you thinking of Carly Boileau? I love her!

Hi Everyone

Just got back from my first cruise (so I'm not quite a voice of experience here!)' date=' we were on Adventure of the Seas and had Chris Northey as our cruise director. I thought he was fabulous - very personable, funny and he defintely livened things up. If it weren't for him, some of the nightly shows would have been pretty dull.

Anyone know if you can find out who is scheduled to be a ship's CD before you book in for the cruise? By the sounds of some of these other posts, there's some CD's out there to avoid!!

Thanks![/quote']

But you can also read here, on this thread, that the same name will come up as "Loved him" "Hated him".

Opinions are highly subjective and personal.

But there is a thread. Bear in mind that these assignments can change at the drop of a hat.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1006241

Having an invisible CD isn't always a bad thing.. I wished Johnny O and Graham Seymour were invisible but had no such luck! :eek:

I agree. A quiet Cruise Director can be a good thing. I don't need forced enthusiasm to start every show. As long as the cruise Director does a good job with his or her staff, then the cruise is usually fun

I've only been on three RCI cruises, with the worst CD being Ken Blair on the Vision in April of '08. He hosted along with his wife Katrina, who wasn't bad, but Ken seemed to be very full of himself. Everytime I saw the guy (which wasn't much, thank god!) he was singing, which he seemed to think he was quite good at....but he wasn't! Of course, I was probably spoiled by having Richard Spacey on my previous cruise on the Freedom, who was excellent, but I just wasn't a fan of Ken. Taking my next cruise on the Mariner next month so I hope we have a better CD. If not, no big deal, because we will have fun either way!!

It's John Blair, actually. I'm not a big fan of because he is All About John, but that works really well in some circumstances - his 70s night show is amazing. But not as good as Jimmy Rhodes' was on Monarch - he got his entire staff involved from the start.

we had Jimmy Rhodes in May and he was at most functions. I thought he was going on vacation shortly after we sailed.

I was wondering if I'd ever see a positive comment on Jimmy. I had him on the Majesty and he was everywhere. He was also someone I enjoyed hanging out with from time to time...until he had to split to attend another event.

I've never attended Quest so I can't speak regarding if he makes his guest appearance there.

It's John Blair, actually. I'm not a big fan of because he is All About John, but that works really well in some circumstances - his 70s night show is amazing. But not as good as Jimmy Rhodes' was on Monarch - he got his entire staff involved from the start.

Nice cat in your avatar, critterchick. Is that a Kitty on a Platter?

I also heard that Johnny O is not with Royal Caribbean any longer.

Boo...we really liked him on the Monarch last fall. I thought he was pleasant, understated and professional and what ever that "thing" is that he played, I thought he played it very well :p. I absolutely CAN. NOT. STAND. the over-the-top goofy fake enthusiasm of some of them...I guess one man's fun is another's :rolleyes:.

Happy Sails

Annette

I had this bunch of so called CD's on the Vision also a short time before you were on. I thought really wanted to be barbie, they acted liked barbie and ken.

What a joke.

Chris was our cruise director in Dec on Monarch and he was quite good - Very fresh although I had heard most of the material before. His quest was above and beyond some of the other CD's.

Does anyone remember the CD from Enchantment back in like 2002-2003. He was English I believe and was always doing Austin Powers impersonations, he was pretty funny.

You are thinking of Matt Baker, the best Cruise Director in all of our cruise's.

Ahhh, Matt Baker. He was our CD on our second cruise (Don't even remember if our 1st cruise had a CD). It was a family cruise (42 people) we had a blast, thought he was hysterical and it was the cruise that turned us into addicts!

I think it was a year or two later that we were on the Mariner (oh how we miss you Mariner) and his brother was the CD. We thought it was cool to have his brother and even neater that Matt was on the ship, clearly on vacation. Problem was he came off as an egotistical jerk! Clearly he has a very inflated opinion of his own importance, you know, the legend in his own mind type.

He was all over the ship moving at break neck speeds like he needed to stay one step ahead of the pursuing throngs of clawing admirers and paparazzi. He would rush into a place making enough of a disruption so as to be seen and admired, stay a bit and then make a big show of rushing off on his exit.

I am sorry but, what an a#$! Watching him acting like that spoiled our memory of him on our Enchantment cruise.

I wouldn't know the CD if I ran over him/her!

I hear you, I've seen a CD on Carnival put down 2 hard drinks and a glass of wine in like 2 mins bc they were too stressed they told there staff member one night in the main show loudge.. Crazy I know....:rolleyes:

Archived