Cruise director-what is rci thinking

OK, everyone always talks about their favorite CD.............but no one mentions the not so good CD's.

I have been on the Monarch several times and I can't figure out how Jimmy Rhoades got that position. He is the "invisible" CD. Passengers from each of the cruises that I have been on have all commented that he is never seen. He does not even introduce all evening shows. Never has showed his face in the Quest, nor attend any pool side activities.

Where is he all day and what does he do we all asked each other. The only time we saw him at a show was the 70's show.

As long as the job gets done I don't care if I don't see the CD roaming around the ship or hosting every event. What I don't like is the "dirty mouth" during family show time. Save it for the late shows!!!!!!!!!!!

my friend just got off the jewel of the ses and he said joff eaton was the best cruise director he ever had,joff eaton is always around the ship and he will stop and talk to you,at seaday he works around the pool and talks to every body,he will be going to the independence of the sea in november

As long as the job gets done I don't care if I don't see the CD roaming around the ship or hosting every event. What I don't like is the "dirty mouth" during family show time. Save it for the late shows!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll second that! That is what I didn't like about Mike S.

Well' date=' not everyone talks about a "favorite" CD. In over 30 years of cruising, I can only recall the name of one......and only because he was the most irritating person I'd ever encountered in such a position.

The only way I know who it is on a cruise is by reading it in the daily newsletter....and then it's usually forgotten.

Simply, I don't care who it is. If he's doing his job well, fine. If not, it has no impact on me personally.[/quote']

Well said! Now if they only could revoke the intrusive public address announcements made by the CD's!

I have to concur with the poster about Ken Rush's staff -- just got off Mariner where he was filling in for Abe for a week. Ken Jones (Jonesie) was SUPER, as were the three women -- his assistant Christy (I think), and one from New Zealand and one from Australia. Loved them all!

~gigi

Ken Rush is too stuffy for me, however, there are other things the cruise lines consider besides the interpersonal stuff on board. The CD's do all the scheduling of the entertainment, and the entire entertainment staff reports to him/her which means he/she probably counsels, issues warnings, etc. I would imagine Ken Rush is a great administrator because other than that, I just can't for the life of me understand his number one position in the company.

He is the only CD I've ever known. Therefore he is the benchmark for me.

& from what I remember 8 years ago, on the biggest ship @ the time, there was no complaints. Only wonderful memories from this customers.

I think anytime a customer can be made happy, he gives every1 credit esp the man out front the most.

Having an invisible CD isn't always a bad thing.. I wished Johnny O and Graham Seymour were invisible but had no such luck! :eek:
OH lord! Johnny O was horrible horrible horrible!
I thought Johnny O left RCCL.

I also heard that Johnny O is not with Royal Caribbean any longer.

I for one LOVE Abe Hughes as a CD. :D

We just got off the adventure last month-and CD Chris Northy was the bomb! He was at most if not all of the activides:D Very personable as i ran into him at the Gym one morning-the entire staff,rachel ,cece at our meet and mingle -they all were great-as a first time cruiser they really exceeded what i was expecting

Totally agree - he used to be on Sovereign whenever Casey wasn't, and both of them were fabulous.

We cruised on Monarch of the Seas in May and had Jimmy Rhodes. I thought he was great. We had some bad weather, so they added more inside activities which he participated in and he was hilarious.

To each their own.

We have been on 2 cruises now with Jimmy and he is IMO just so-so. Not nearly the CD that Casey and Chris Northley were. Miss them both but they are on bigger ships now that Sovereign is gone. I think we only saw Jimmy at L&M and the final farewell show. Other than that, his staff are the one who did everything. The Asst CD that did Quest was great!

Ken Rush annoys the heck out of me but I must say this: I've never seen a better entertainment staff (and better run activities) on any other ship than I have on my two cruises with Ken Rush. So much fun. Basically even though he personally irritates me, I won't begrudge him the fact that he's a very good administrator / head of the entertainment department.

BINGO...You may or may not like Ken's personality, but he is the most effective CD in running an effective and quality entertainment department. He has such a drive for high quality perfection, with a packed entertainment schedule. I actually like him as a CD, although CDs like Richard Spacey are better entertainers; as the head of the entertainment department, I wish more CDs would take on his passion for quality and perfection.

I wish more CDs would take on his passion for quality and perfection.

You must sail on Radiance with Kirk Deitweiler. Don't know where that boy gets all his energy. Kirk runs the line dancing and hukilah classes on all his cruises, plus other activities as well. He is very personable, will always stop and chat with the pax and also has a drive for perfection not only for himself but of his staff as well.

I wouldn't know the CD if I ran over him/her!

that means you have not had the fortune of running into Abe. He is so fine it is hard to believe he is safe on the ship with the passangers. I know I would take him home in a heartbeat.

You must sail on Radiance with Kirk Deitweiler. Don't know where that boy gets all his energy. Kirk runs the line dancing and hukilah classes on all his cruises, plus other activities as well. He is very personable, will always stop and chat with the pax and also has a drive for perfection not only for himself but of his staff as well.

Patti - I have to agree. We have sailed with Kirk several times, most recently in May on Radiance to Alaska, and he is wonderful. I had befriended him on Facebook before the cruise and he went out of his way to come and find me at the M&M. So sweet!

We have been on 2 cruises now with Jimmy and he is IMO just so-so. Not nearly the CD that Casey and Chris Northley were. Miss them both but they are on bigger ships now that Sovereign is gone. I think we only saw Jimmy at L&M and the final farewell show. Other than that, his staff are the one who did everything. The Asst CD that did Quest was great!

Agreed. The Activities Manager on the MN is very good. So I was gald Jimmy Rhodes didn't run many of the activities.

Archived