I'm Willing to Try It!!! ESCARGOT

tjeanty

No, you can order them for breakfast lunch and dinner every day! You will only get them when they are on the menu, but you can order.:p:D

All joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised that if they were ordered anytime, they waiter would produce them.

Dan, one of the things I really loved about X is that they were on the menu as everynight items there, yummmmm

I never thought about asking for them when they aren't on the menu on Carnival, think I'll have to try it next time. Thanks for the suggestion~!!!

Carole

It's all in the preparation:

I love sushi...but I couldn't recommend the sushi I've had on Carnival.

I love Steak too...but I wouldn't rate Carnivals Steak anywhere near equivalent to some of the better steak houses I have been to...and even some of the lesser ones.

I haven't enjoyed some of the duck I've eaten that was prepared in people's homes, but I don't mind ordering duck in a Chinese restaurant.

I might not like the escargot served in a fine French restaurant, but enjoyed the escargot I had on the ship.

Boiled Chicken feet are disgusting...but I order chicken feet for Dim Sum ( a Chinese Brunch) periodically, and they are fantastic.

Point being...sometimes you don't like something prepared one way...but you might like it prepare another. Sometimes, things are an acquired taste, and sometimes...it doesn't matter how something is prepared it is still gross!:D

I'm a pretty adventurous eater and have some pretty crazy dining stories. I've often tried foods two or three times in different venues, foods I didn't really care for but later enjoyed, and I'm grateful I did, because I found some wonderful new ways of adding variety in my diet.

I remember years ago, talking to a friend that volunteered for two years of community service, only to be sent to China. He was heartbroken, because all his life he hated rice (and therefore Chinese Food) and was sure he was in for a miserable time. As it turns out...he didn't hate "rice", only the "Uncle Ben's Minute Rice" that his mom used to cook. He grew to love Chinese food, and as I remember, became quite the cook!

I agree...Carnival is a great place to try out new foods that you wouldn't otherwise pay for. I would just caution that should you not care for the Sushi...it might not mean that you dislike Sushi...you might just dislike the way that Carnival makes it.

Does Carnival have caviar? I've only been on 2 cruises and never saw any, but wasn't really looking for it either. I had caviar a couple of times around 20 years ago and would like to try it again. Funny, nobody I know who throws good parties serves caviar at them! lol

They serve it in the steak house/supper club. But it's an additional charge..40 bucks or so. And some items in the MDR have lesser quality stuff as a garnish.

I'm rather torn between that and the lobster bisque (which I understand is excellent in the superclub and so-so in the MDR)..I'll probably get both and share the Caviar with my friends.

At a 100 bucks for a a few ounces for the good stuff, I doubt it'll be in the MDR. The portion in the Superclub was 1 oz..served with belinis, cream and other toppings.

Love 'em - I always thought they were a little more chewy - like a clam rather than slimy like a mushroom. Like everything else - taste is a personal thing.

I have to kinda agree here.. tried it on my last cruise.. and I found the texture very chewy.. but the taste somewhat like a mushroom.. even tho I love mushrooms.. I will never get esgarcots again.. its a personal taste.. doesnt matter how much garlic they are smothered in.. and I lUV garlic.. doesnt do it for me;)

I remember years ago, talking to a friend that volunteered for two years of community service, only to be sent to China. He was heartbroken, because all his life he hated rice (and therefore Chinese Food) and was sure he was in for a miserable time. As it turns out...he didn't hate "rice", only the "Uncle Ben's Minute Rice" that his mom used to cook. He grew to love Chinese food, and as I remember, became quite the cook!

LOL--I've been telling DH for years that Minute rice is not real rice! I cook the sticky rice... how else are you going to eat it with chopsticks? ;)

We had a guest at our table who wanted to try Escargot also. Bob, the guest, fell in love with them and kept ordering, first just another order, then two more orders, then four:eek:.

The next night our head waiter delivered a plate of Escargot to the diner - there must have been 20 on the plate. Bob was in heaven. Every night after that our waiter appeared with a plate just for Bob. Our waiter earned quite an extra tip on that cruise from Bob.

My 15 yo just got back from a 3-day Bahamas cruise on NCL. She loves the escargot but was VERY disappointed when they didn't serve it. I guess she'll just have to go with us on Carnival to get her 'fix' :cool:

Like others in this thread my wife and I first tried escargot on our first cruise back in '97. I didn't think much of them. Then I had them again in Paris on Les Champs d'Elysée in a pesto sauce and still in the shells. I couldn't believe it was the same food. If the cruiselines offered them that way I'd order them again... although serving them in the shells is optional; when they took my plate away there was a nice green outline of where it had been courtesy of the flying pesto sauce!

Yum! Love the escargots!

Nice earthy, garlicy, buttery, cholesterol filled greatness.

Part of the joy oof being on a cruise is trying the really WEIRD food that you normally wouldn't order at a restaurant.

Although... there's a lot more food available that is well within everyone's comfort zone... Nowadays, we try to find "local" food that is good... Makes not sense to go to Cancun and get McDonalds... can get McD's at home... y'know?

I think most people who don't like escargot or won't try it, just can't get past the thought of themselves eating a snail.........But those Snails are soooooo good!!!!:p

That is what my problem is. I can't get pass the thought of eating snails. I would love to try it but just can't bring myself to do it. Being from Louisiana and having eating alot of out of the ordinary things I would think I would be able to do this but just can't do it.:)

I think most people who don't like escargot or won't try it, just can't get past the thought of themselves eating a snail.........But those Snails are soooooo good!!!!:p

I LOVE sashimi and seared rare tuna.

When I eat steak, it better have some "moo" left in it.

But I cannot eat a snail.

We have a festival here in SA and it's almost a tradition to eat them. I LOVE the sauce. The snails themselves just aren't really "bad" nor "great"...but the sauce they're in makes them quite tasty.

(Besides it's always fun to challenge my son...aka "the boy"...to eat strange foods :D)

We get a 50/50 shot that he'll try it or he'll go "BLECH" and tell every friend he's got that his parents are weird.:p

That is what my problem is. I can't get pass the thought of eating snails. I would love to try it but just can't bring myself to do it. Being from Louisiana and having eating alot of out of the ordinary things I would think I would be able to do this but just can't do it.:)

If you're from Louisiana, you should be familiar with oysters.

Raw oysters on the half shell? That's slimy, gooey, and messy... but oh! so good!

Well... Escargots are cooked, soaked in garlic butter, and have the consistancy of a soft shell clam.

My kids love them, too... well.. the younger ones... the oldest is a picky eater.

Yum! Love the escargots!

Although... there's a lot more food available that is well within everyone's comfort zone... Nowadays, we try to find "local" food that is good... Makes not sense to go to Cancun and get McDonalds... can get McD's at home... y'know?

When I lived in Hong Kong, I would watch the folks just getting off the cruise ships make a b-line straight to McDonald's.

Never could understand why people would travel half way around the world, just to eat at McDonald's!

It was only recently that I considered, after a weeks traveling around Asia...Comfort food might be nice...

Think of them as land oysters. Actually, diet wise, they eat much cleaner stuff than oysters do...vegies and such instead of filtering out whatever happens to be dumped in the ocean from the runoff waters in the gulf.

I do love me some oysters tho.

go ahead ...you can do it :D

i tried them on monarch last year , and they are garlicky good anim_64.gif

look at it like this , its free, try one and if you hate it, your done winking0070.gif

i now love em (i only get em on cruises)

maybe if your stll afraid, have a few cocktails before dinner (ya know,liquid courage)...if you drink of course:p

dave

Archived