Coastal Classic - Side of Train?

ErinPhotoBug

Hey all, getting so excited for our 7/22 SB cruise out of Seward!

Quick question about the Coastal Classic train: on the trip from Anchorage to Seward, which side of the train is preferred for views? We'll be in cars chartered by the cruise line, so I expect them to be packed and therefore I don't anticipate being able to bounce from one side of the train to another. :(

Thanks in advance!

-Erin

The cruise contracted train is a completely different train, leaving in the morning.

Seats are assigned. From Seward the right side has all the glacier viewing. Once on the Arm, then the left side is the place to be. :) Head to the vestibule or dome car, at areas you want to seat on the other side.

The cruise contracted train is a completely different train, leaving in the morning.

Seats are assigned. From Seward the right side has all the glacier viewing. Once on the Arm, then the left side is the place to be. :) Head to the vestibule or dome car, at areas you want to seat on the other side.

Ah, I suppose I knew this at some point (about the assigned seats) but it rattled around up there long enough to find a good hiding spot. I did know/remember that it's a different train than the "Coastal Classic" but I figured it was the easiest way to describe the route. Ours leaves around noon, whereas the actual Coastal Classic leaves in the early AM, as I recall.

Thanks, Budget Queen!

Ah, I suppose I knew this at some point (about the assigned seats) but it rattled around up there long enough to find a good hiding spot. I did know/remember that it's a different train than the "Coastal Classic" but I figured it was the easiest way to describe the route. Ours leaves around noon, whereas the actual Coastal Classic leaves in the early AM, as I recall.

Thanks, Budget Queen!

You are on the ship contracted train.

Can anyone confirm if the Celebrity train from Anchorage to Seward has domed cars? Their transfer leaves at a much more civilized hour than Alaskan RR.

However- the ship contracted train, leaves you with NO time for anything significant in either Anchorage or Seward, leaving too early from Anchorage and arriving too late in Seward. Both certainly have plenty of excellent touring to consider. If of interest, and you're not going to be getting to Alaska too often, you might want to take a look. A clear highlight, and far superior to anything seen from your cruiseship, is a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Loaded with varied wildlife- a definate hot spot, along with superb close up glacier viewing.

But does the Celebrity train have a domed car? That's all I really care about. If not, then I will probably take the early train, but we will go directly to the ship when we arrive in Seward. My husband is recovering from back surgery and I'm not going to push him over the limit with too much activity. Either way, I will enjoy a train ride and either a slow morning before the Celebrity train or a relaxing afternoon on board the ship if we take the ARR.

Archived