Mendenhall Glacier?

mtnhappy

We are planning to go to the Mendenhall Glacier, but we are wondering if it's that great after you've seen glaciers from the ship.

Is it worth it to go to the glacier, or should we plan to do something else?

What are your plans? We did the helicopter ride to the glacier. They take 6 people plus the pilot. You fly into the glacier and then you land and get to walk around for awhile. Although a bit pricy it was well worth the price. Captured some beautiful pictures.

I took the bus to the glacier. The price was right but I was disappointed in the glacier. Not sure what else to suggest. If you are a museum type of person, the Alaskan State Museum is excellent.

Actually, I find Juneau not a really great place to stop. I know that the shopaholics love it but when I shop which is not very often, I want to buy stuff made by the local population, not watches and jewelry.

DON

I loved juneau. We found ourselves hiking up the path along Mendenhall Creek. Beautiful hike away from the massess. We later visited the Aukes Bay and went out with our captain to see the whales. There is another beautiful glacier at their marina.

Other than walking on the glacier, you will see many glaciers around the area-from Juneau to Tracy Arm.

I can't imagine being disappointed in Mendenhall! Walk the trail to the waterfall and get really close! It is awesome! We watched arctic turns along the way. The birds were fascinating! The sound of the waterfall and the feel of the spray on your face is awesome! The trail along the river before getting to the visitor's center was beautiful and interesting. Here is a link to a video about the waterfall:

I have been to several glacier locations and dog sledded on a glacier, and I find Mendenhall interesting and totally worth it.

On a "glacier scale" no Mendenhall isn't way up there, but the ease and low cost to enjoy it is well worth it, if of interest??

There is plenty in Juneau, that people just plan miss. Excellent walking city with interesting sights. Head to your library and get Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have descriptive walking tours. Visit the dock visitor center for a walking tour map.

I'd check the weather. The wa;l to the waterfall is really nice, meandering, loaded with scenery and fun. We had really hot weather in July so we were a little warm on the walk, but had a blast.

We also did the glacial landing with Coastal too. That was amazing.

You can click on the pictures to see them bigger.

l_11c5146031cc49579a10d53b19baca97.jpg.ac47b99b51a1b8cc21230a61ce0f0c5e.jpg

l_48c35f2dc68a4d9c869942dc20551042.jpg.0795a26c8ec74654979835eb9c721cd4.jpg

We did a NB so Mendenhall was our first glacier. Like Redbull, we did a long excursion with part of the time hiking at the glacier and part of the time in the bay looking for whales and wildlife. It was the best excursion of the whole week. I have some fantastic pictures. And no, its nothing like seeing them from the ship...although I guess some ships do better with the ship views than Carnival did. The first views of the glacier when you get to the parking lot are really awesome. Let me see if i can find one to post......SNC00036-759533_Large_.jpg

Mendenhall offered me my only chance to stand in glacier water! :) I wish we'd had time on our tour to hike down to the waterfall, though..... it looked awesome, even from a distance. Our tour was a photo safari that combined some time out on Auke Bay with a hike down a trail at Mendenhall (which ended at the visitor center, not the waterfall).

I think if we hadn't seen an amazing glacier from the ship (our captain took us into Endicott Arm to see Dawes Glacier instead of staying with the scheduled route, Tracy Arm, because of icy conditions in Tracy), Mendenhall would've been a little more impressive....

We really enjoyed hiking around there. Falls were beautiful. Each glacier I see, I learn a little more. They're all changing so much. We did Mendenhall on our own (blue bus), which was nice. No tour group, no schedule. Some of the details in the ice were really impressive! so bring binoculars.

578410190_r7rmY-L.jpg

We'll be back in Juneau next Monday, but will only do Mendenhall if it's a nice day. The first time we went it was absolutely pouring. I can't remember what else was going on, but we couldn't get close to the glacier at all, and could barely see it through the downpour. Our TA said to be sure to try again if the weather is good this time.

We'll be back in Juneau next Monday, but will only do Mendenhall if it's a nice day. The first time we went it was absolutely pouring. I can't remember what else was going on, but we couldn't get close to the glacier at all, and could barely see it through the downpour. Our TA said to be sure to try again if the weather is good this time.

That's good advice about the rain! We're doing the glacier landing in Juneau, but also wanted to go the the Mendenhall visitors center to walk around and hopefully see some bears.

We really enjoyed hiking around there. Falls were beautiful. Each glacier I see, I learn a little more. They're all changing so much. We did Mendenhall on our own (blue bus), which was nice. No tour group, no schedule. Some of the details in the ice were really impressive! so bring binoculars.

578410190_r7rmY-L.jpg

great picture.

We enjoyed the bus trip t see Mendenhall Glacier but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with the included trip to the gardens. The tour was wonderful and the flowers and views were spectacular.

We are booked for this excursion in August. How much time did you spend at the glacier? Did you have time to hike to the waterfall? Thanks.

Are the waterfalls accessible from one of the park trails? If so, which one?

We'll be in Juneau next month (off the Pearl), and will be independently driving to the Mendenhall Visitors Center. Which trails should we look into hiking? The waterfalls spot looks fantastic!

I do not have time to read all the postings.

We just got home from Radiance. Took a combo Mt. Roberts Tram & Mendenhall tour. Unlimited rides up the tram. And while at Mendenhall take the nature trail to the left of and before the visitor's center. There is a mother black bear and her 2 cubs that reside there. The walkway is above the ground, and she is not bothered by quiet people at all. We saw her and the cubs get up, walk right under us to the stream for a drink of water. Others saw her catch salmon and feed it to the cubs.

The glacier itself was a shock to us. It has receded so much in 26 years that I am not sure that I would have recognized it.

I don't know how active and fit you are, but we were there a few weeks ago and had an amazing experience hiking to and on the glacier. We went with Above and Beyond Alaska - a small outfitter you can find by googling them - and they were amazing. Our guides were fabulous and taught us a lot about glaciers. It is a 7 hour hike (2.5 out, 2 hours on the glacier, then 2.5 back) and it is rigorous, but it was the best excursion we did.

Archived