Need help with Istanbul tour or DIY

You know, I am a big fan of private tours when needed but am very capable on my own. This city is SOOOO easy from the port. We did everything that others on ship tours did and for half the price AND TIME. The tram literally runs right outside the port. You CANNOT miss it. You can't really miss where to get off the tram either because you can see things as you get close to them. This was a very easy city to tour. We hit all the top sites... and a few other things. As far as needing a guide?? We didn't... but I researched some things out before hand and printed off little factoid sheets and we had an easy time with our 2 days there.

I would save your money for ports that aren't that easy to do on your own. Just my opinion of course.:)

I agree that this is a city you can easily do on your own. Transportation is easy from the ship to the old town (Sultanahmet) area on the tram. Once there, you can walk to all the key sights, including Topkapi, the Blue Mosque, Haghia Sophia, the Basilica Cistern, etc.

I do agree you should do a little research ahead of time to make it more meaningful. Rick Steves' Istanbul book might be a good investment -- lots of good information and an overview of each site. After all, you'll be saving a lot of $$$ by doing it yourself rather than on a tour or with a private guide.

ottawa204...how long will you be in Istanbul for?

We were there from 11 a.m. one day until 7 p.m. the following day. I felt the same way as you do about wanting to do it right, and decided to do a private tour on our first day for 6 hours, and DIY the second day. In hindsight, we wished we had done both days on our own as we prefer touring on our own whenever possible and this was an easy city to do it in. Rick Steves Istanbul guidebook is excellent for DIY touring.

I also agree that it is a very easy place to DIY, BUT, if you don't do your homework, you are really missing out on a lot of cultural and historic information that a private guide provides.

I watched the Rick Steve's dvd before I left and it really set the stage for the trip, but I also learned so much more from the guide about Moslem/Christian relations and the culture from our guide,that I know I wouldn't have ever been that prepared on my own.

This was one port we also decided to DIY. The tram was so easy and cheap..... .70 one way per person. We heard horror stories from our table mates at dinner about how they were on a bus/taxi and it took them an hour to get into the old town area......it took us 8 minutes on the tram.

Tip: Right outside the port exit there are tons of ATM's. Get lira. Then go to the small "porta potty" looking buildings marked JETON and purchase your tokens. Purchase enough tokens for your whole stay so you don't have to bother with it again. Keep them seperate from other "coins" as they look like money :D

We also decided to keep this one port "light" and just wandered and looked instead of trying to absorb facts, dates etc.... we LOVED Istanbul. Try to eat at least one meal on shore. The food is wonderful ! We had a delicious meal at The Bodrum Restaurant (in the park near the Cistern). We also had a group of 44 from our roll call do a night out at Sultanas. Belly dancers, folk dancers, dinner drinks etc..... they even sent 2 small buses to pick us all up. Wonderful evening and fun !!!! Do not be afraid of Istanbul....the people were friendly altho reserved.

but I also learned so much more from the guide about Moslem/Christian relations and the culture from our guide,that I know I wouldn't have ever been that prepared on my own.

Have to agree - thanks to a CC roll call, 12 of us had a wonderful private tour that cost only $50 USD pp which included transport and entry fees. Our guide was able to take us to all the sites and really give us a personal touch. We had a great lunch (paid for separately) and a great time. He listened to our requests and made them happen. At the end, four of us wanted to go to the spice market, he took us there while the bus took the others back to the ship, he then arranged for a cab back to the ship. CTC Turkey was the company and with a US based office - very easy to work with. As we only had a day in port, it was nice to have someone else take care of the logistics. If I had more then a day, then I would do Istanbul on my own.

Istanbul is so easy to do on your own. Save your guide dollars for Ephesus! Spend less than $20 and purchase Rick Steves' Istanbul guidebook, and you will have practical information, walking tours, specific sight tours, and plenty of background information for your stay.

We spent four days in Istanbul last September, and relied on this guidebook for all of our sightseeing, and tripadvisor's Istanbul forum for hotels and restaurants.

Enjoy your trip!

We have never been to this city before and we can't decide if we need to hire a guide or can we DIO. Thanks for any input. We will probably never get back to this city so don't want to blow it.......

Unless you are there on a Monday, as we will, when some of the major sites are closed except for cruise ship tours.

As always the CC family comes through when you just need a push one way or the other. We are going to buy Rick Steves book do our homework have dinner at Sultanas and get our tokens from the porta pottys:D. We are there for 2 - 1/2 days Fri & Sat. I haven't checked yet but I imagine the mosque could be closed on Fri. for their services.

I sense most of you are familar with the two major Turkey ports. We have been to Ephesus before and would appreciate any suggestions for alternative sites.

Mega thanks for the quick replys, one less port to ponder over.

lesley

As always the CC family comes through when you just need a push one way or the other. We are going to buy Rick Steves book do our homework have dinner at Sultanas and get our tokens from the porta pottys:D. We are there for 2 - 1/2 days Fri & Sat. I haven't checked yet but I imagine the mosque could be closed on Fri. for their services.

I sense most of you are familar with the two major Turkey ports. We have been to Ephesus before and would appreciate any suggestions for alternative sites.

Mega thanks for the quick replys, one less port to ponder over.

lesley

Actually we found that it was the Grand Bazaar that most noticeably was affected on Friday afternoon. Many of the shops there were closed, actually making the experience much more tolerable to my spouse, who simply hates to shop.

The closing times for the mosques are daily for the five prayer services, and the Friday afternoon one normally is a bit longer due to the sermon provided at that service.

Archived