Cozumel....what's at the pier?

sas80

We are re-evaluating and thinking we might stick close to the ship in Cozumel.

We considered Chankanaab and Xcaret but are thinking that those parks are better left until the kids are older. After spending a week on a ship we worry that we may have 2 kids more in need of naps than running around Mexico. :D

Can anyone recollect for me exactly what is at the pier where the ship docs in Cozumel?

Do you remember food/restaurants? Is there a Bar? Was there a band playing?

Were thinking margaritas, leisurely shopping and maybe lunch.

Thanks!

There is a Senor Frogs right at the pier. We had day passes for El Cid (I think that's what it was called) it's a hotel right next to the pier. Food/drinks/etc... were all included and my kids were both free. We just played in the pool, snorkeled, ate and drank for a few hours then headed back to the ship.

There is a Senor Frogs right at the pier. We had day passes for El Cid (I think that's what it was called) it's a hotel right next to the pier. Food/drinks/etc... were all included and my kids were both free. We just played in the pool, snorkeled, ate and drank for a few hours then headed back to the ship.

It's going to be nice when we can hang at the beach without worrying about the kids getting too tired overall.....

We just got off the Enchantment yesterday and spent Tuesday in Cozumel. Right off the pier is a TON of souvenir shops and they are very actively hustling for business. We were not actually pressured, they just sell hard and run a patter of "best prices here" or "come see" or things like that. There were lots of places for jewelry, T-shirts, craft-like items, dolls/toys, hats, leatherwork, all kinds of things.

At one point there was a single mariachi guitarist. I wouldn't call it relaxing shopping, it's all close together and you can walk from one to another to compare selection and prices.

The crowd at Senor Frogs was much more a young party atmosphere than something I'd have taken young children too.

We had an 8-year-old and an 11-year old (in addition to grandparents). We took a van to San Gervaso in the morning to tour the Mayan ruins, then back to the pier for souvenirs, onto the ship for lunch. Then we took another cab to Paradise Beach for a couple hours. There were several families with young children there. It was laid back. Some kids splashed in the water and another took a nap on a chaise under an umbrella.

I'm going to post a detailed review later today. But if you have specific questions, I'd be glad to try to help.

We just got off the Enchantment yesterday and spent Tuesday in Cozumel. Right off the pier is a TON of souvenir shops and they are very actively hustling for business. We were not actually pressured, they just sell hard and run a patter of "best prices here" or "come see" or things like that. There were lots of places for jewelry, T-shirts, craft-like items, dolls/toys, hats, leatherwork, all kinds of things.

At one point there was a single mariachi guitarist. I wouldn't call it relaxing shopping, it's all close together and you can walk from one to another to compare selection and prices.

The crowd at Senor Frogs was much more a young party atmosphere than something I'd have taken young children too.

We had an 8-year-old and an 11-year old (in addition to grandparents). We took a van to San Gervaso in the morning to tour the Mayan ruins, then back to the pier for souvenirs, onto the ship for lunch. Then we took another cab to Paradise Beach for a couple hours. There were several families with young children there. It was laid back. Some kids splashed in the water and another took a nap on a chaise under an umbrella.

I'm going to post a detailed review later today. But if you have specific questions, I'd be glad to try to help.

I thought Paradise beach was the cruise lines private beach and you had to take a ferry to it and it was a 45 minute ferry ride away? :confused:

Wrong beach?

Paradise beach was about a $15 cab ride -- maybe 15 minutes.

It's free to get on, they just ask you to spend about $10 per person in food and drinks. Although it was very laid back and there was no pressure at all. Our waiter stopped by to see what we needed but never pressured us nor did he ever give us the impression he was "tracking" if we spent enough. Among the 8 of us (2 children), we did spend $80 but we did feel like we had a good deal. My BIL, SIL, and their adult daughters were there longer and each had several drinks.

The food/drink spending gets you access to the beach, chairs, and umbrellas. There are other activities (floats, snorkeling, kayak, huge water slide, "iceberg", etc.) and they just require a $10 wristband for the day. Our daughter and college-age nieces did the wristbands and loved it. Our son was happy to just swim for a while, drink a virgin strawberry daquiri, and spend time with the parrots in the bar area.

It worked out well for us, even though it wasn't our original plan. It was very low-key and several families were there. It wasn't a "party" atmosphere. We'd eaten on board, so we didn't eat there, but the food looked good and the drinks were cheaper than the ship!

With no admission fee per se, it's more relaxing to know you can leave whenever the kids need to. The best way to describe it was laid back. It wasn't even too crowded with 2 ships docked for the day. I think a lot of the younger party crowd go elsewhere and that was great for us!

Oh and it is not a cruise ship private beach. There's probably another one of the same name elsewhere that could be.

Actually--it depends on which pier you end up in Cozumel, as there are several...all of which have the regular tourist shops and whatnot. There is one fronted by a 2-story mall that empties out into the main street of Coz. Senor Frogs and Carlos/Charlies are nearby. The Carnival pier (on the far right if looking in from the ocean) has a tourist village with, you guessed it, more shops.

To clarify Paradise Beach, you get there by cab, and once there, must only buy a drink (or 2) in order to use their beach. Lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas, and the surf is not rough. We've been there many-a-time with the kids and had a great time--even when they were toddlers. Some of the best things about PB is that there are ALWAYS cabs there waiting to take you back to the pier, and that there are outdoor showers and changing rooms--and BATHROOMS!! Additional details about PB and pics in the MSC Orchestra review in my signature, I think on page 1.

Enjoy!--CeleBrat

There's no charge for the umbrellas/chairs. All they ask is that you order food and drinks. The website is http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/, and there's a menu on the site (click the menu to turn the pages). We usually order drinks and then get plates of food like nachos and chicken fingers. (My son just saw me looking at the website and asked, "When do we get to go back to Paradise Beach again?":D)

The RCCL pier is the international Pier and I think the shops at the end of the pier are the worst of all the piers. I will say rnext to the International Pier (right hand side) is a new pier Princess lines use and it is the best. All new shopping, several restaraunts, (one of them is 3 amigos) there really is no need to go into town if you get this pier.

We are re-evaluating and thinking we might stick close to the ship in Cozumel.

We considered Chankanaab and Xcaret but are thinking that those parks are better left until the kids are older. After spending a week on a ship we worry that we may have 2 kids more in need of naps than running around Mexico. :D

Can anyone recollect for me exactly what is at the pier where the ship docs in Cozumel?

Do you remember food/restaurants? Is there a Bar? Was there a band playing?

Were thinking margaritas, leisurely shopping and maybe lunch.

Thanks!

How old are your kiddos? We just went to Chankanaab with our kids ages 10, 6 and almost 2 and had a great time! It's only a 15 minute drive from the pier and if you take a stroller or 2 you could even have them sleep in their strollers in the shade at Chankanaab! We didn't take a stroller for our little guy because we didn't realize we'd be able to push it around there but you can. We were at Chanakaab from 10-2:00 and them came back to the ship for naptime...I do wish we'd taken the stroller so we could have stayed longer as there's plenty to do there. We can't wait to go back!

I thought Paradise beach was the cruise lines private beach and you had to take a ferry to it and it was a 45 minute ferry ride away? :confused:

Wrong beach?

Wrong Beach, times two. ;)

Passion Island is the RCCL Private Island and I don't think the catamaran ride out if 45 minutes, closer to 20 minutes.

There is a beach with a ferry ride out to it that's 45 minutes, I think it's Xcaret?

Paradise - short taxi ride. You can purchase wrist bands when you get there for food/drinks.

Hey - what happened to your avatar???? I almost didn't recognize you!

How old are your kiddos? We just went to Chankanaab with our kids ages 10, 6 and almost 2 and had a great time! It's only a 15 minute drive from the pier and if you take a stroller or 2 you could even have them sleep in their strollers in the shade at Chankanaab! We didn't take a stroller for our little guy because we didn't realize we'd be able to push it around there but you can. We were at Chanakaab from 10-2:00 and them came back to the ship for naptime...I do wish we'd taken the stroller so we could have stayed longer as there's plenty to do there. We can't wait to go back!

I concur.

Chankanaab is a great destination, although I wouldn't necessarily book it through the cruise. This past fall, it was a $6 cab ride to the park, and a low admission.

They have a beach area, a garden area, a snorkeling area, and of course, the Dolphin Discovery.

There's also a fresh water pool there, as well.

n1507726387_30081000_2089.jpg

BTW... Dolphin Discovery (if you book on your own) Kid's under 6 swim with the dolphins FREE (with an adult purchase).

edit:

I must admit that I AM biased in regards to Chankanaab. I completed my SCUBA certification there in the late 80s. We still take the kids there every time we hit a cruise that goes to Cozumel.

Has anyone actually snorkeled at Paradise Beach? We're traveling with our infant and my inlaws, this seems like the perfect beach with something for everyone to do, but my husband loves to snorkel and would be disappointed if he didn't get out there in Cozumel. Thanks!!

Hi Stacey!

Did you have another bambino? Boy or Girl? We have a new granddaughter born in May...so 2 girls.

We are going on the Freedom in Dec. Have a great cruise!

Here are a couple pics of Paradise Beach....We really enjoyed our day there. Got there about 10ish and no one was there. By noon, it was packed. The food was very good...had nachos and burgers. There were parrots in the restaurant...it's all open air and very nice. Will probably go back.

coz.jpg.18214b156cc6ba2408d72de43272c642.jpg

coz2.jpg.c4cd0adf54cb703b3c526ba948b19fcc.jpg

coz3.jpg.62de8ed0528aa4103d22a2777b1832c8.jpg

Barriekins,

There is snorkel equipment at Paradise Beach, but I don't know that you actually see anything. There were some people who tried at the end of the dock. I'd originally planned to got to Chankanaab because of our mixed age group and because I'd been told that it's one of the few places you can snorkel off the land access (down stairs) and actually see fish. Our day just ran too late to make the admission worth while for us.

Just to clarify, there isn't a wristband for all-inclusive food and drink at Paradise Beach, at least there wasn't last week. You order food and drinks from the menu and, if you want, purchase a $10 wristband for all of the water activities. That includes the inflatables/climbables, snorkeling, kayaking, etc.

Barriekins,

There is snorkel equipment at Paradise Beach, but I don't know that you actually see anything. There were some people who tried at the end of the dock. I'd originally planned to got to Chankanaab because of our mixed age group and because I'd been told that it's one of the few places you can snorkel off the land access (down stairs) and actually see fish. Our day just ran too late to make the admission worth while for us.

Just to clarify, there isn't a wristband for all-inclusive food and drink at Paradise Beach, at least there wasn't last week. You order food and drinks from the menu and, if you want, purchase a $10 wristband for all of the water activities. That includes the inflatables/climbables, snorkeling, kayaking, etc.

We saw tons of fish at Chankanaab! My dh and I took turns taking our 10y.o. ds out to snorkel while the other one stayed with the younger 2 in the lagoon. There were even some fish in the lagoon for them to see. We can't wait to go again!:D here's a link to park info. http://www.cozumelparks.com/

The RCCL pier is the international Pier and I think the shops at the end of the pier are the worst of all the piers. I will say rnext to the International Pier (right hand side) is a new pier Princess lines use and it is the best. All new shopping, several restaraunts, (one of them is 3 amigos) there really is no need to go into town if you get this pier.

Is it easy to get to the Princess Pier?

Is it easy to get to the Princess Pier?

The most expensive cab ride anywhere up and down the main road the piers are located on will be 6.00. This does raise a good question though, I am not sure you can visit a pier your particular ship is NOT docked at. Anyone know the answer to this?

The most expensive cab ride anywhere up and down the main road the piers are located on will be 6.00. This does raise a good question though, I am not sure you can visit a pier your particular ship is NOT docked at. Anyone know the answer to this?

My son lived in St. Maarten for awhile. When my Mom's cruiseship arrived, he was going to meet her at the pier like he had done before with friends. But security had become SO tight that there were 3 security booths he had to go through. He talked his way thru 2 of them because he had an official school namebadge...but never got thru the 3rd...and never was able to meet up with my mother. She ended up just going back to the ship because she couldn't walk the long distance to outside the port area. This all happened in 2007.

Archived