If someone misses ship in a port, will their travel ins reimburse

clerky96

I guess it could vary by the insurance company, but generally I would think the answer is no. If you miss getting back to the ship on time and they sail without you then you would and should be completely responsible for all of the expenses.

Generally, the only time your insurance kicks in is if missing the ship was at the initial embarkation port and it was a covered reason, airline delay/cancelled, weather, illness of an insured etc....

I would definately check with the insurance company. They could all be a little different in some way. What someone tells you here on the board. Would more than likly be about one ins. co. So if this is a concern check with as many companies as possible and see if one might. I wouldn't think any would unless you were to add something onto the policy.

I'm sure it all depends on the policy you get, but I wonder if it would be covered for something like a bus accident, civil demonstration blocking the roads, severe weather, injury?

I hope to not have to ever find out, but it's a good question!

The policies I have purchased covered trip delay--but that was to the port of embarkation. No where did it ever cover missing the ship when in port. I guess that's why I am back to the ship way before sailing time.

One time in St Thomas, I thought we were going to miss the ship. We were on a tour and there was a ton of traffic. We could see the ship, but it was about 5 miles from where we were and we were moving at a snail's pace. Had I been in good physical shape, I might have gotten off and tried to walk that far, but no way could I do that.

Finally the traffic let us a bit and the driver drove like a bat out of he-- to get us to the ship. I think we had about 5 minutes to spare. We decided never again to stay so late.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. I think the answer is no, but check with the insurance company and let us know.

IF it were to be covered, it would fall under trip delay coverage and there are very specific circumstances listed in all policies for under which circumstances this coverage would apply. IF you've met the criteria for the reason for the delay you will be covered for missing the ship at the original port of embarkation but pretty far fetched that you're ever gonna be covered for missing the ship at a port stop;)

the cost of getting to the next port? I'm just curious. I've never seen that on these boards.

You would need to read each individual policy to know what is and is not covered. If you missed the ship due to illness or injury it probably would be covered. But I haven't seen a policy that covers stupidity yet :rolleyes:

the cost of getting to the next port? I'm just curious. I've never seen that on these boards.

Any benefits for this would be under the "Trip Interruption" Benefits which cover expenses (up to the Plan limit) for rejoining the Trip...but the covered reasons are generally limited to illness/injury, being involved in an accident, theft of passport, being victim of felony assault, a terrorist incident, (and such). IMO there's no coverage for overstaying at Carlos & Charlies and missing Departure. ken

It probably won't be as easy as you think, as not all islands have direct flights to other islands. You may have to fly back to the next biggest place (San Juan?) and then redirect. It also may involve an overnight stay at a hotel, as there aren't always a lot of flights leaving from those smaller islands.

And--don't forget the extra added cost for those who don't have passports, and will then need to get one super-quick....(insert passport debate here)

CeleBrat

Just got off the Freedom last week. John Heald announced that a honeymoon couple had missed getting back to the ship in Cozumel. They thought they needed to be back at 7:30 instead of 4:30. They had rented a jeep and were on the far side of the island so there was no way to contact them. Their family was onboard and had to sail away and leave them.

John did say that Carnival has people at each port to help you make arrangements to catch up to the ship. In this case the couple was going to spend the night in Cozumel, fly to Mexico City, then to San Jose, then to Limon, Costa Rica to catch up with the ship around noon on the day we were in port (two days later.) I can just imagine what the cost of all of those flights would be...plus missing 2 days of the cruise. :eek:

Could you imagine if insurance DID reimburse you for missing the ship?

You could be having a lot of fun in a bar and just decide, hey - I like it here and I don't want to go back to the ship just now. I'll just fly to Miami and file a claim with my insurance.

Not going to happen. If you miss the ship, you have to pay the idiot tax yourself.

This is from my CSA Policy. The kicker seems to be the statement about 6 hours or more delay.

COVERAGE G

TRIP DELAY

PART A BENEFITS

If an Insured is delayed for 6 hours or more during the Covered

Trip, due to:

1. any delay of a Common Carrier. The delay must be certified

by the Travel Supplier;

2. a traffic accident in which an Insured or Traveling Companion

are directly involved (must be substantiated by a police

report);

3. lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must

be substantiated by a police report);

4. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or

riot; or

5. documented weather condition preventing the Insured

from continuing on the Covered Trip.

Benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum

Benefit Amount, for: reasonable expenses for hotel

accommodations, telephone calls, meals, and local transportation

up to $150 per day necessarily incurred by an Insured

for which he or she has proof of purchase and

This is from my CSA Policy. The kicker seems to be the statement about 6 hours or more delay.

COVERAGE G

TRIP DELAY

PART A BENEFITS

If an Insured is delayed for 6 hours or more during the Covered

Trip, due to:

1. any delay of a Common Carrier. The delay must be certified

by the Travel Supplier;

2. a traffic accident in which an Insured or Traveling Companion

are directly involved (must be substantiated by a police

report);

3. lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must

be substantiated by a police report);

4. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or

riot; or

5. documented weather condition preventing the Insured

from continuing on the Covered Trip.

Benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum

Benefit Amount, for: reasonable expenses for hotel

accommodations, telephone calls, meals, and local transportation

up to $150 per day necessarily incurred by an Insured

for which he or she has proof of purchase and

Hmmm....so wouldn't a whole day of catching up to the ship cover the 6 hour stipulation?

Thanks all. I have no intention of ever missing my ship but I was just curious. I am such a worrier that I would be freaking out if I wasn't back to the ship an hour before it sails. :o

The kicker seems to be the statement about 6 hours or more delay.

COVERAGE G

TRIP DELAY

PART A BENEFITS

If an Insured is delayed for 6 hours or more during the Covered Trip, due to:

1. any delay of a Common Carrier. The delay must be certified by the Travel Supplier;...

Actually the kicker is the restriction of the delay being due to Common Carrier delay, in addition to the six hour minimum.

Hmmm....so wouldn't a whole day of catching up to the ship cover the 6 hour stipulation?
Nope, your time is not what counts, the Common Carrier (bus, train, ship, plane, etc.) must be delayed over 6 hours. Note this would also apply to any originating flights to the ship, so if you are delayed 5 hours due to flight problems, causing you to miss the ship at Florida, this particular coverage does not kick in to then get you to the first port.

It probably won't be as easy as you think, as not all islands have direct flights to other islands. You may have to fly back to the next biggest place (San Juan?) and then redirect. It also may involve an overnight stay at a hotel, as there aren't always a lot of flights leaving from those smaller islands.

And--don't forget the extra added cost for those who don't have passports, and will then need to get one super-quick....(insert passport debate here)

CeleBrat

Yeah

The Caribbean is a prime example of the old saying, "you can't get there from here".

To get from Nassau to St Martin you go from Nassau to Miami, Miami to San Juan, San Juan to St Martin.

It costs around $400 per leg.

Plus hotels.

Any benefits for this would be under the "Trip Interruption" Benefits which cover expenses (up to the Plan limit) for rejoining the Trip...but the covered reasons are generally limited to illness/injury, being involved in an accident, theft of passport, being victim of felony assault, a terrorist incident, (and such). IMO there's no coverage for overstaying at Carlos & Charlies and missing Departure. ken

This is exactly correct. the situation described is primarily a travel interruption so that portion of the policy is the most relevant one. You need to check the policy for reasons covered under the trip interruption benefit. Here's from one policy"

"Covered reasons for Post-Departure Trip Interruption are:1) your, an Immediate Family Member's, Traveling Companion's or Business Partner's Sickness; Injury; or death; or for Other Covered Events, as defined." (these other reasons would include a traffic accident, theft of passport, etc)

What they pay for is:

"Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefits: If you interrupt your Trip for a covered reason, we will reimburse you, less any refund paid or payable, for prepaid, unused land or water travel arrangements, plus one of the following:

1. the additional transportation expenses by the most direct route from the point you interrupted your Trip: a) to the next scheduled destination where you can catch up to your Trip; or b) to the final destination of your Trip; or

2. the additional transportation expenses incurred by you by the most direct route to reach your original Trip destination if you are delayed and leave after the Scheduled Departure Date.

However, the benefit payable under (1) and (2) above will not exceed the cost of a one-way economy air fare (or first class, if the original tickets were first class) by the most direct route less any refunds paid or payable for your unused original tickets."

So say you're injured in an accident and by the time the local hospital patches you up the ship has sailed. You'd contact the insurer's emergency services toll-free number and they will make the necessary arrangements to catch up with the ship at the next port of call or to return home. Depending on the insurer and on the circumstances you may have to pay for these arrangements and wait for reimbursement when you get home after all the documentation has been submitted and the claim is approved.

So with this plan you'd file a claim under the trip interruption benefit for the additional transportation cost, plus, if the interruption causes you to miss a day (or more) of your cruise you also file for the value of those missed days based on a pro-rated share of your total cruise cost.

Un;ess the ship is reaching the next port of call later that day you will probably need a hotel, meals, etc. until you can actually re-board the ship. You'd file a separate claim under the plan's trip delay benefit to be reimbursed for those expenses. Here's this plan's Travel Delay benefit:

"Travel Delay

If your Trip is delayed for 8 hours or more, we will reimburse you, up to the amount shown in the Schedule, for reasonable additional expenses incurred by you for hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls and local transportation while you are delayed. We will not pay benefits for expenses incurred after travel becomes possible."

In this example, not catching up with the ship until the next day should satisfy the 8 hour requirement. But you'll notice that the travel delay benefit does not mention anything about additional air fare or reimbursement for missed cruise days. Most but not all plans are set up this way.

Archived