Norwegian has BBB rating of "F"

newcruzrs4

I honestly haven't read every posting but I do think the original poster has a point- not about BBB because I don't think the basis of their F for NCL makes sense, but I do think if the Pepsi promotion says up to two for free it means that on every sailing unless it says-not applicable to all sailings and cannot be combined with other offers- that being said there are two ways to get real results from a complaint about this.

the first is to email the president of NCL- not a threatening email but explaining your disappointment that it wasn't honored. the second is a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission- who does supervise advertisements...which both Pepsi and NCl would have some responsibility for....

you can email the ftc at their website which is http://www.ftc.gov

These over subscription issues happen all the time if the advertiser wants to limit the number they know(offer is limited to x) how to do that or to fire someone for being so stupid.....

newcruzrs4

Did you get the Latitude's discount when booking your cruise?

No. I didn't. NCL did not say that I took advantage of another discount. They said that the Pepsi discount is not available for anyone on my cruise.

I honestly haven't read every posting but I do think the original poster has a point- not about BBB because I don't think the basis of their F for NCL makes sense, but I do think if the Pepsi promotion says up to two for free it means that on every sailing unless it says-not applicable to all sailings and cannot be combined with other offers- that being said there are two ways to get real results from a complaint about this.

the first is to email the president of NCL- not a threatening email but explaining your disappointment that it wasn't honored. the second is a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission- who does supervise advertisements...which both Pepsi and NCl would have some responsibility for....

you can email the ftc at their website which is www.ftc.gov

These over subscription issues happen all the time if the advertiser wants to limit the number they know(offer is limited to x) how to do that or to fire someone for being so stupid.....

I agree. I did sent a letter to NCL headquarters (with a copy to NCL Legal) and received a rejection by phone. The FTC likely has bigger fish to fry, but I think I will submit a complaint. NCL's Facebook posting does seem to run afoul of their advertising guidelines.

I agree. I did sent a letter to NCL headquarters (with a copy to NCL Legal) and received a rejection by phone. The FTC likely has bigger fish to fry, but I think I will submit a complaint. NCL's Facebook posting does seem to run afoul of their advertising guidelines.

no not to headquarters to Ksheehan@ncl.com

what ever you wrote re write it and keep legal out of it. Anytime legal gets a hold of it it becomes no.

along the lines of

"I have been on two previous NCL cruises and have always been treated very well and want to tell you how disappointed I am in the fact that the pepsi promotion I applied for wasn't honored for my cruise. I or my TA used the proper code and we have been told that it is not allowed on my specific sailing even though it met all the terms for the promotion. I am disappointed and hope you can use you good offices to correct the problem..."

no threats no legal action etc. It may be too late as it will already be noted on your record about the complaint but I find that 99% of the time I wind up getting what I want but if it doesn't just chalk it up to life don't make it your crusade and next time take another cruise line that will really teach them...

and remember NCL does read these boards and probably knows who you are(they know who I am)...

You can certainly contact the FTC, but I don't really see how a Facebook page is an advertisement. You have to look up NCL as a "friend" to be view the information they post - an advertisement is generally something published where you get it without any real choice, such as in the middle of television viewing, while listening to the radio, while reading the paper, driving down the interstate, or now even when you are waiting to watch a movie. They may be more interested in the angle of "false and misleading information" in general... but as you said, much bigger fish to fry (e.g., Bernie Maddoff), especially given the instruction for getting further details, at which point it was explained "all" excludes "holiday", which is often quite common for "fine print" in promotions of all kinds.

This whole episode leaves a bad taste in my mouth for both pepsi and NCL.

Running an ad saying "you can have thusandso", and then saying that you need to call them so they can tell you cannot have it, is morally bankrupt. It astonishes me still to see people who see nothing wrong with this practice.

I sure miss Ceevee.

You can certainly contact the FTC, but I don't really see how a Facebook page is an advertisement. You have to look up NCL as a "friend" to be view the information they post - an advertisement is generally something published where you get it without any real choice, such as in the middle of television viewing, while listening to the radio, while reading the paper, driving down the interstate, or now even when you are waiting to watch a movie. They may be more interested in the angle of "false and misleading information" in general... but as you said, much bigger fish to fry (e.g., Bernie Maddoff), especially given the instruction for getting further details, at which point it was explained "all" excludes "holiday", which is often quite common for "fine print" in promotions of all kinds.

The FTC had nothing to do with Bernie. that was the SEC(security and exchange commission) and the DOJ.

A facebook announcement is a advertising to a targeted audience-whether its targeted or scatter shot its still an ad...

On further reflection you state's Attorney general might be interested in this....I am sure Andrew Cuomo would be as would the elected Ag in Florida.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/consumer_frauds/filing_a_consumer_complaint.html

We have booked our third cruise on NCL in the last 3 years, but it will probably be our last. I have complained to NCL corporate about what I view as misleading advertising in connection with our booking (specifically, the Pepsi promotion), and have received no satisfaction. After these issues arose, I looked Norwegian up on the Southeast Florida Better Business Bureau site and notice that they have an "F" rating. In contrast, the same BBB location gives Carnival an "A" and a different BBB branch gives Royal Caribbean a "C".

BBB explains as follow on its site concerning the "F" rating:

Our opinion of what this rating means:

We strongly question the company’s reliability for reasons such as that they have failed to respond to complaints, their advertising is grossly misleading, they are not in compliance with the law’s licensing or registration requirements, their complaints contain especially serious allegations, or the company’s industry is known for its fraudulent business practices.

I wish I had checked BBB ratings before we booked our cruise.

Why I know of several businesses with A ratings that just disappeared owing many people money!

I've read this over and something strikes me:

The OP seems to be as much (if not more) concerned with the rating than the Pepsi item, But they've enjoyed their previous cruises. I gather that from the "I wish I had checked the rating before booking".

Had it been me, I'd probably give more weight (much more), to personal experience than what the BBB might say

Either way-I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise

no not to headquarters to Ksheehan@ncl.com

what ever you wrote re write it and keep legal out of it. Anytime legal gets a hold of it it becomes no.

along the lines of

"I have been on two previous NCL cruises and have always been treated very well and want to tell you how disappointed I am in the fact that the pepsi promotion I applied for wasn't honored for my cruise. I or my TA used the proper code and we have been told that it is not allowed on my specific sailing even though it met all the terms for the promotion. I am disappointed and hope you can use you good offices to correct the problem..."

no threats no legal action etc. It may be too late as it will already be noted on your record about the complaint but I find that 99% of the time I wind up getting what I want but if it doesn't just chalk it up to life don't make it your crusade and next time take another cruise line that will really teach them...

and remember NCL does read these boards and probably knows who you are(they know who I am)...

Thank you for the advice. I will give an email to the CEO a shot before pursuing anything else. I don't mind if they read the boards and know who I am. On principle, I feel very strongly about the ad being lived up to, even though the value of the soda card is not a significant factor in our trip. Hopefully they will do the right thing. It would say a lot for their attention to customer satisfaction and fairness.

Jimd909 ~ I've sailed on Paradise in '04. She's really lovely. Great size. This was back when she was a non-smoking ship out of Miami.

That idea went up in smoke.. LOL

Yup..I guess a little off subject...but we sailed on the Paradise when she was non smoking....great great vacay!

I'm exhausted from reading all this...I don't even drink coke or pepsi (martinis-yes, wine-yes, champagne-yes)....anyway I digress......:rolleyes:

To the OP, write your letter, do what you have to do, but my advice is to stick with the cruise you booked....the Star is an awesome ship!! I am quite sure you will love it! :D

I'm exhausted from reading all this...I don't even drink coke or pepsi (martinis-yes, wine-yes, champagne-yes)....anyway I digress......:rolleyes:

To the OP, write your letter, do what you have to do, but my advice is to stick with the cruise you booked....the Star is an awesome ship!! I am quite sure you will love it! :D

Thank you. We will stick with the booked cruise on the Star. We enjoyed the Jewel and Pearl previously and expect to enjoy the Star. At the same time, I will follow up on the advertising issue.

The FTC had nothing to do with Bernie. that was the SEC(security and exchange commission) and the DOJ.

A facebook announcement is a advertising to a targeted audience-whether its targeted or scatter shot its still an ad...

On further reflection you state's Attorney general might be interested in this....I am sure Andrew Cuomo would be as would the elected Ag in Florida.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/consumer_frauds/filing_a_consumer_complaint.html

The Bernie thing was more along the lines of a joke... couldn't think of any major FTC-relevant major scandals in recent history, as all the major scandals of late were banking or security related... wasn't interested in researching it to make the point on a Sunday afternoon....

I thought of suggesting the AG, but goes back to where the business is actually "conducted": state where the customer lives, or state where the business holds offices, and I don't know what the later would be.

My complaint is that NCL did not include any fine print, but instead tried to say limitations were described elsewhere and we would learn there were limitations if we called.

A prior poster suggested that I may have been trying to combine 2 promotions, but I indicated that wasn't the issue. The problem I have is that NCL was not willing to honor the description in their Facebook posting, which as they should know constitutes an advertisement.

Write a letter and e-mail to the ceo if it bothers you THAT MUCH. I have seen his name and e-mail address posted on these boards and I understand he is quite responsive......but please don't pan NCL for something that can probably be resolved with an e-mail and accompanying proof to someone in command not some nit wit at the main call center.

With all due respect, if I was a CEO and received an email in addition to knowing this was also posted here, especially the title of this thread, then I certainly would not respond to the OP.

coka

Thank you for the advice. I will give an email to the CEO a shot before pursuing anything else. I don't mind if they read the boards and know who I am. On principle, I feel very strongly about the ad being lived up to, even though the value of the soda card is not a significant factor in our trip. Hopefully they will do the right thing. It would say a lot for their attention to customer satisfaction and fairness.

Sorry to be the voice of reason but.... Are you serious? By your own admission, you have been given a $50 pp reduction in the cruise price thru your TA and yet you continue to go after NCL for the Pepsi promo which equals the same $ amount? If this were a normal price drop - great, but if the reduction was a result of you pressuring the TA, I feel that pursuing this any further is beating a dead horse. There are cruisers that have valid complaints, unfortunately this is not one of them. This topic simply did not warrant 4 pages on CC. Let it go.

Sorry to be the voice of reason but.... Are you serious? By your own admission, you have been given a $50 pp reduction in the cruise price thru your TA and yet you continue to go after NCL for the Pepsi promo which equals the same $ amount? If this were a normal price drop - great, but if the reduction was a result of you pressuring the TA, I feel that pursuing this any further is beating a dead horse. There are cruisers that have valid complaints, unfortunately this is not one of them. This topic simply did not warrant 4 pages on CC. Let it go.

It was a normal price drop based on NCL dropping the prices on the cabin category, not pressure on the TA. By coincidence, the drop in price equals the rough value of a soda card. It's not the money, but rather the principle at stake. Under FTC rules, I believe the advertising is blatantly misleading and I think NCL should honor the plain language of the ad. If they did not mean it to be for all sailings withing the period they should not have use the words "any" and "all".

There is no "normal price drop" after you have contracted for your cruise/cabin. Your ticket constitutes an offering of your cabin & sailing for a certain price - and your purchase is acceptance of same.

The fact that your TA got a credit after you contracted for your cruise is a bonus - and probably an accomodation to compensate you for your dissatisfaction in not receiving your Pepsi promotion.

Enjoy your cruise - if you can't, please cancel and avoid ruining someone elses cruise within earshot of your complaining.

That's not entirely true, Sid. Our first cruise resulted in a letter to customer service, which was responded to by legal...with a "yes". I have always figured nobody can get everything right all the time...so I give higher weight to the way people FIX things that are broken, not that they are broken in the first place.

And NCL seem to know who I am, also. :rolleyes:

This whole episode leaves a bad taste in my mouth for both pepsi and NCL.

Running an ad saying "you can have thusandso", and then saying that you need to call them so they can tell you cannot have it, is morally bankrupt. It astonishes me still to see people who see nothing wrong with this practice..

Ahhh....but they didn't run an ad saying anything of the sort. They posted a facebook notice for their "friends", saying that there's a promo you should GO CHECK OUT. OP didn't want to go check it out, and instead thinks that the little blurb is enough to get upset about.

But you raise another interesting point. Why aren't we looking at Pepsi's BBB rating? After all, it's a PEPSI promotion. NCL is just the agent of Pepsi.

I would bypass the FTC and various state Attorney Generals - send the complaint directly to the United Nations - as NCL cruises in international waters......*LOL*

Or crash the G8 summit, since Pepsi is from a G8 country :rolleyes:

Seriously, this is absurd. OP's take that because the small print wasn't WITH the headline should mean the small print doesn't apply....would make all small print everywhere useless....and would put the humble " * " out of business.

Small print rarely runs with the headline, it's usually a footnote.

The facebook equivalent of a footnote is "call for more information".

I thought of suggesting the AG, but goes back to where the business is actually "conducted": state where the customer lives, or state where the business holds offices, and I don't know what the later would be.

Its the NYAG's opinion that any ad that targets NYer's is sufficiently of concern to give him jurisdiction. The op shows a NY address(Long Island).

Don't worry about how he would enforce it....although the fact that NCL has ships that berth in NY would make for an interesting seizure(you need a Federal court attachment to do so)..

Interesting point. My suspicion is that if Cuomo seized a ship for failure to provide free Pepsi, it would likely find its way onto the Drudge Report and most likely the Smoking Gun as well.

Archived