What did your teen enjoy in Venice?

cruisemom42

We will be cruising out of Venice next summer and spending a night or two there prior to departing. Venice has always been on DS's list of places to see (he'll be 18) but he's not a museum hound like me and not so much into art (he does like history).

I'm sure we'll do our share of wandering about (on foot and on the water), and I am already planning that we'll do St. Marks (including the Treasury), go to the top of the Campanile, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions or places that their teens or older kids particularly enjoyed in Venice?

took our 16 and 23 year old there 2 years ago and stayed pre cruise. Both "kids" absolutely loved Venice and we did nothing in particular, we didn't go inside one building except shops and restaurants. They loved just wandering around and sitting in canal side cafes, soaking up the atmosphere

We are going back without them in Sept and both were pretty ticked we would leave them behind!

Terry

I'll answer your question, but I'm not sure my answer will help you because my teen is a girl. First, she loved seeing the glass blowing demonstrations in Murano and the people making lace and embroidering in Burano. Her other favorite activity was shopping! She spent loads of time examining everything made of Murano glass.

I'll answer your question, but I'm not sure my answer will help you because my teen is a girl. First, she loved seeing the glass blowing demonstrations in Murano and the people making lace and embroidering in Burano. Her other favorite activity was shopping! She spent loads of time examining everything made of Murano glass.

I do think he might find the glass blowing interesting. Not so sure about the shopping....;)

When our children were teenagers and we were in Venice they enjoyed much of the city. Certainly a few favorites included going on a gondola, walking all around the city and probably enjoying lunch sitting outside and people watching. There is enough to do to keep the family happy.

Keith

Last year we visited Venice with our 16 year old son. He really thought the Secret Doge's Tour was cool. Also getting "lost". We were never really lost but many times we felt like we were. It was like solving a puzzle for him, so we would let him navigate. He also liked riding the water taxi from the airport to hotel and taking the Vaporetto. It wasn't so much a specific thing that we did, but the overall experience of Venice which is so different from anywhere else we have visited.

Oh I almost forgot our nightly gelato habit was a favorite.

Our son talks about Venice all of the time and if he had a chance to return I think he would go in a heartbeat.

My 11 and 13 year old sons loved Doge's Palace. We did the Secret Itineraries tour (90 min), which I highly recommend. They did not get bored, and we stayed for more than an hour afterwards. They liked the many displays of period war implements.

Hi Cruisemom,

One option not yet mentioned might be for you to stay on the Lido di Venezia, which is only 15 minutes by vaporetto ( water bus) across the lagoon from Saint Marks Square. It's a beautiful little island, which hosts the Venice Film Festival every year. More particularly, it has a terrific beach ( made famous by the film Death In Venice, featuring Dirk Bogarde). What red-blooded 18yr old male wouldn't appreciate the opportunity to ogle a few gorgeous young, bikini-clad venetian women, whilst hiding behind a large gelato ? :) Lido di Venezia is tiny with only one main st, right in front of the vaporetto stop, but it has quite an exclusive air and is much more relaxing than staying in the midst of Venice. It's a straight ten minute walk from getting off the vaporetto and walking down the main st to the beach. There are a number of fabulous hotels on the island but if I haven't persuaded you already perhaps you will be swayed when I tell you that hotel prices on Lido di Venezia are appx 33% cheaper than staying in central Venice. Wake up, go for a morning stroll along the beach, then take a ten minute walk to the vaporetto stop for your 15 minute journey across the lagoon to San Marco. Not a lot of people know that, as Michael Caine would say. Go on, you know it makes sense. :):D

Hi Cruisemom,

One option not yet mentioned might be for you to stay on the Lido di Venezia, which is only 15 minutes by vaporetto ( water bus) across the lagoon from Saint Marks Square. It's a beautiful little island, which hosts the Venice Film Festival every year. More particularly, it has a terrific beach ( made famous by the film Death In Venice, featuring Dirk Bogarde). What red-blooded 18yr old male wouldn't appreciate the opportunity to ogle a few gorgeous young, bikini-clad venetian women, whilst hiding behind a large gelato ? :)

Nice turn of phrase! I'd better at least let DS pay a visit to the beach, even if we end up staying elsewhere....:D

I think the answer is probably everything. We've stayed in Venice and visited on a cruise when my boy was 13 and 14. Used Vaporetto a lot to visit Murano and Burano and to ride up and down Grand canal. Also did Doges Palace and St Marks - pre booked and earliest slot.

He particularly enjoyed the sail in and took stacks of photos.

Many years ago, a visit to a workshop where gondolas were built was a big hit. Unfortunately, I don't remember any details about it anymore. I am sure a concierge might know, or someone here on CC.

Many years ago, a visit to a workshop where gondolas were built was a big hit. Unfortunately, I don't remember any details about it anymore. I am sure a concierge might know, or someone here on CC.

That sounds fascinating for both of us, I'll definitely look into it.

Cruisemom42... We just returned with our adult children... ages 23, 20 and 19. The oldest (boys) aren't into museums and we didn't force them into any at this stop... but my daughter, 19, is very much into history and polictics, and they were ALL fascinated by the Secret Itinerary Tour. We pre-bought tickets and everyone loved it. Also... ALL the kids loved going into Harry's Bar and having a Bellini. Our 19 and 20 year olds thought it was very cool they could legally get a drink here. Not sure if it's your thing, but we didn't care. It was a fun stop.

Cruisemom42... We just returned with our adult children... ages 23, 20 and 19. The oldest (boys) aren't into museums and we didn't force them into any at this stop... but my daughter, 19, is very much into history and polictics, and they were ALL fascinated by the Secret Itinerary Tour. We pre-bought tickets and everyone loved it. Also... ALL the kids loved going into Harry's Bar and having a Bellini. Our 19 and 20 year olds thought it was very cool they could legally get a drink here. Not sure if it's your thing, but we didn't care. It was a fun stop.

Wow, after several recommendations for the Secret Itinerary tour, looks like something we should do.

Harry's Bar -- I wouldn't miss it. Don't know if DS will "dare" to have a drink with mom, though....he's very proper. ;)

Wow, after several recommendations for the Secret Itinerary tour, looks like something we should do.

Harry's Bar -- I wouldn't miss it. Don't know if DS will "dare" to have a drink with mom, though....he's very proper. ;)

I called on the Secret Itinerary Tour and we didn't have to pay until we showed up. It was very easy. The kids thought the prisons were pretty interesting and, of course, Casanova's cell also. They have a HUGE armory room on the tour that was VERY cool.

Archived