Dunn's River Falls with or without Guide?

bwlr1985

We are a family of 4 (kids 10 and 13) and are all in pretty good shape. Is it better to do the falls with a guide or would we be ok and have more fun on our own? Do they give you the eveil eye if you don't take a guide?

We just did this last week. The guides will make everyone hold hands. I was first in line holding the hand of the guide. I liked this because I could step exactly where he stepped. My son and his girlfried were three and four behind and my son kept letting go. He and the guide argued about this, my son saying it was easier to not hold hands. They eventually got out of our "chain" and went on by themselves. They didn't seem to have a problem getting to the top, plus they had some time to sit on the rocks and wait for the rest of us.

The last time we climbed the falls, we had children from the ages of 5-15. Had we not had Sherman, our guide, I swear one of us would not be with us now. lol. He knew exactly where to take us and if someone was stuck he knew how to get us around them. If you do slip and fall, it won't be pretty. The rocks are super slippery and very unforgiving. Have fun, hire a guide and enjoy!

We (15 yr old son, 10 yr old daughter, husband and I--41 and 40 yrs) chose not to use a guide and were glad we didn't! We were there with another Cruise Critic family we met on the cruise, and they did their own thing too. The guides we saw were rude, shouting, "Hurry up! Come on, come on!!" at their "chains". They fairly yanked them up the falls, I'm guessing so they could hurry up and get their tip and get on to the next group. We took our time and had a wonderful time, stopping to sit in the pools or stand under the falls, and taking pictures at our leisure. I felt more secure climbing on my own (sometimes on hands and knees, but always placing weight on a foot before stepping down) than I would have holding hands with anyone, my family or strangers.

At one point my husband and I were getting into a really nice pool in a really scenic spot with the water crashing behind us, and a guide on the side with a chain of people shouted at us, "No, no, come back over here!" He obviously didn't want us to get into this particular pool. We just said, "We're okay," and he asked, "Who is your guide?" We told him, "No one." He just looked aggravated and went back to pulling his gang up the side.

Here is the picture we took at that spot:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/228996137/229011180wXUMXc

A nice person (another person without a guide) passing by took the picture for us. You can use the slideshow feature to see our other pictures from the falls, if you want.

And I'm not saying all the guides are rude. However, the ones we saw this particular day were and we were glad we didn't use them. Don't worry about the "evil eye", and have fun!

We just visited the falls last week & I would highly recommend a guide. Our guide, Peter, did not make us hold hands, but he did take my hand ( at my request because I was a little uncertain whether I could make the climb). My kids, 17 & 12, strayed from the recommended "path" of the climb a few times & both of them took a spill on the slippery rocks. The guides we saw were friendly and helpful. Peter told me that each guide usually takes only 3 groups a day up the falls so I don't think there is a rush for them to get another group, but maybe just to get all the climbers up the falls. We were very fortunate to be the first group climbing the day we went, but as we left there were massive crowds heading into the park. It was a lot of fun & I would do it again! With a guide...

We've done the Falls 3 times now without a guide. We try to get there earlier before the crowds build. Once the guided crowds start it is virtually impossible to do the falls safely without a guide. That's because the safest path up the falls is where the lines of peole holding hands are.

We this the falls this year with kids ranging from 7 to 16 and we had a great time. The guides did give us a hard time when getting into the falls but once you are in and they realize you are not part of their group they let you go on without too much of a hassle.

If you want to do the falls so you can say you've done it - use a guide, they will make relatively certain you are safe, and guide you well up the safest part.

If you want to do it for the fun of it then by all means do it on your own. My wife and I, and 7 and 6 year old kids did it with little problems. I have a cut and scar on my shin but that is because we purposely tried to go up the most difficult looking part. Bottom line, if you don't mind a little slip or bruise then go for it - otherwise do it with a guide and do as others have suggested, stay close to them and step where they step.

Oh - When we were there a week ago there was one dude who came up the part we came up (not the safest) and was carrying an infant - there were areas where I could barely pull myself up, if we were not around for him to pass the baby to on the way up I hate to think what would have happened. That was extremely stupid.

banker

I vote for using a guide, at least the first time. I did not see any of the rude behavior mentioned by the previous poster on my recent visit. I actually felt safer holding hands--the person in front of you can give you a little pull up when you need it and the one behind you can help you keep your balance when the footing is a little uncertain. The guides only ask for a small tip as payment.

Archived