Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

Hey Motorbutt, I see you are checking out the Glory reveiws also. We were assigned this same cabin before we go our upgrade, Now I am really happy about that. See you on the roll call

Didn't you get an upgrade to 6E? We really wanted one of those rooms, but they had a "No Spoiled Berths" rule in effect for all July Sailings. They sold out long before the rule was dropped. (we would have been a 3 person in a 4 person cabin)

Looked at the 6E during debark....they are awesome! Hate they are converting these to balconies!!!

Didn't you get an upgrade to 6E? We really wanted one of those rooms, but they had a "No Spoiled Berths" rule in effect for all July Sailings. They sold out long before the rule was dropped. (we would have been a 3 person in a 4 person cabin)

Looked at the 6E during debark....they are awesome! Hate they are converting these to balconies!!!

Yes that is what we got the 6E. There are only 3 of us in the room so I guess we really got lucky on that.

I can tell you that I would really have been unhappy without the air. I work in a grocery distrubution warehouse and I work in 32 to minus 20 degree temps all day. At home I keep my place at 68 because the hot humid air is really hard on you after spending 10 hours a day in the cold.

Yes that is what we got the 6E. There are only 3 of us in the room so I guess we really got lucky on that.

At home I keep my place at 68 because the hot humid air is really hard on you after spending 10 hours a day in the cold.

My understanding is that this rule is relaxed in the lighter season, but holidays and peak weeks enforced. (We have on several occasions been in rooms with an extra bed - sometimes because we booked late)

Before getting a thermometer in Cozumel, I was begining to wonder if some of the problem was that every area on the ship was say 10-15 degrees colder than our room, if the body might 'acclaimate' to the colder temps, making a normally fine temp of '72' feel warm. While its possible it contributed, the analog thermometer confirmed what I felt to be the case.

Also, the tool they were using to take the temp was a multi-meter (voltage) with an accessory probe. My father (who works with said tool) said that the accessory probes are highly inaccurate.

So, guess I'm adding my digital thermometer to the packing list :-)

(Kidding!)

To each his own, but my cruise is all about relaxing, being away from it all, being at sea, and not having any worries. It's not about personal comfort and having everything just the way I like it. Someone who appreciates comfort above all else is probably going to do better with a spa vacation.

How ridiculous for you to say this . . . a cruise is not about personal comfort??? Do we pay money to be uncomfortable??? How do you relax when you are HOT????

We had a/c problems on an NCL ship - it was warm but not as bad as the OP's - and I was quite uncomfortable. Getting out of the shower, drying my hair, and having to put on clothing when you are sweaty is not good! but they fixed it finally by about day 3.

To the OP, sorry you had to go through this . . . . I think you handled it better than I would have.

To the OP, sorry you had to go through this . . . . I think you handled it better than I would have.

Thanks! I tried to be polite with every staff member I encountered. Several times at the desk I heard them taking verbal abuse from other guests....I cringed.

I was firm, and possibly a little grumpy by day 3-4, but tried to realize that these people I was talking to didn't create the problem, and it wasn't their (the individual)'s fault.

Maybe reading Cruise Confidential changed some of the perspective, I don't know. I am a frequent guest in Marriott hotels, and often see front desk folks abused by guests. These are the same associates that you form friendship with when you stay 30-40 nights a year at their property.

Yucky from all the little ones who don't wear diapers? Like i said if you want to assure a cooler room maybe it's time to spend of few extra dollars on a Balcony room to assure your room comfort, after all any inside room is bound to be warmer with any outside air. Much the same can be said about any room in the house that is small and has no open windows if the air conditioner is not cranked to freeze mode.
It would help that when someone is going to express an expert opinion that you had some clue as to what you are talking about. Let me get this correct, in order to get your room or house cooler you should open your doors and windows and let the 90 plus degree air come in. Do you have a clue how A/C functions. Been in the business for ove 30 years, sun coming in windows and opening the doors doesn't get you cooler air unless maybe your are on a cruise in Canada or Alaska. Opinion is one thing, stating something like you really know what you are talking about is another. You do not know what you are talking about. I guess we should only expect that the boat doesn't sink.

We were on the Glory May 16th.

We had an interior cabin 2385. And had the exact same issues.

The "nightmare" part is the complete and utter frustration of dealing with the Carnival staff when there is an issue like this.

This wasn't our first rodeo. They would not even bring us a fan!

We had 4 adult size people on a quad interior. They turned off the fridge and tried "this and that".... but nothing worked.

Felt measured our cabin as well and all he told us was that it was to hot.

It never got any better.

Now, my oldest son prefers to live in a "hot house"...so he was very pleased.

But I can assure you that our cabin was no where near "normal" that entire week.

But again the frustration came BEFORE we were actually able to get Felt there. We would call and they would say...we are sending someone and then they never did.

Then we went to the Purser's Desk the next morning and the Purser writes it in a little black notebook and no one shows up.

Then we got back to the Purser's Desk that night and no one has a clue about our complaint and I said....look in the black notebook....and they look at us like we have 3 eyes.

At midnight, Felt finally showed up and said it was to hot and that he would send a maintenance guy "shortly". We waited until 1:15 AM and called again.

The Purser said they were on their way. We waited another 30 minutes and then gave up.

We go BACK to the Purser's Desk the next morning....and that afternoon a maintance guy finally showed up and "suddenly" Carnival declares that it is within their "standards".

I wrote Ruben Rodriguez about this and I told him ....

1. To use the statement it is within 'Carnival's Standards' sounds arrogant. Carnival did not pay for this cruise, we did. They need to change that terminology to "normal ranges".

2. If this is the way they treat a family of four (3 of which are Milestone Reward Members).... I would hate to see how they treat the casual cruiser.

Carnival CLEARLY knows they have a problem with the temps in these rooms.

And instead of being honest....they are just hoping they get folks like my son that literally uses no AC in his rental at college over the summer in 95% temps.

It is bad enough to have to deal with maintenance issues....but the real nightmare is being ignored, mislead and dismissed.

Now that you mention it....Felt did measure it from the top and said it was to hot....I was not there for the other measurements. I bet anything there were from the floor.

As for the Supper Club....we also had just an average meal. My beef was ok...but no better that I have received in the Formal Dining Room.

Ours was free because I won dinner for two at the Repeater's Party. But if I had paid an additional $60.00 plus we tipped extra....I would have been disappointed.

I agree there is nothing worse than a warm room. We had the same problem on the 2nd week of the Ruby Princess sailing last november and it turned us off to Princess. They did nothing about it except totally ignore us. We had heard so many wonderful things about that cruise line and were very disappointed because of the the room that I could not even put my makeup on and dress clothes withouth perspiring (we had a mini suite and epected more since we sailed on the Valor the year before in a suite and it was wonderful). Not a great way to go to dinner. All the other's we sailed with their rooms were freezing if they put the a/c on 72. We never got anywhere with Princess so this November we are going back to Carnival, the Freedom and we are in 7270. Hopefully we will have a/c. No excuses for the the lines to not at least be courteous and accomodating to us. They treat us like we are nuts.

Just got my hands on my dad's meter and found that you can "calibrate" it using a little wheel on the front.

hmm...just spin the wheel and this 74 degree room is 67, then the other way is 82. Think there could easily be games played. hmm....:confused:

I find only one issue that I question...the wakeup from naptime by announcments. We have complained that we can never hear the announcments in our cabin, and have to open the door to hear them at all. Are they being piped into the cabins now?

I also listed our cabin on the "do not book these cabins" list with the explanation that it is a hot cabin...and not to book it unless you are cold natured and need a warmer than normal cabin.

Also, I would be interested to know if the other Conquest class ships has a problem with the temps in the cabins in this area since this is where the printing of all the paperwork is done and perhaps that equipment puts off excessive heat???

I find only one issue that I question...the wakeup from naptime by announcments. We have complained that we can never hear the announcments in our cabin, and have to open the door to hear them at all. Are they being piped into the cabins now?

They had to keep their cabin door open (with the fan drawing in hallway air)...so they would have heard all the announcements.

No, generally they are not piped into the cabin unless it is an emergency.

Just got my hands on my dad's meter and found that you can "calibrate" it using a little wheel on the front.

hmm...just spin the wheel and this 74 degree room is 67, then the other way is 82. Think there could easily be games played. hmm....:confused:

If you have not mailed your letter yet....I would suggest that you send it to Ruben's attention. He is the VP of Guest "Experiences".

And you can reference my letter if you would like. Email me at musicalcruiser@hotmail.com and I will give you our full name.

So whenever we book an inside or ocean view, we have no right to expect a comfortable temperature and air ventilation?

What was Liberty trying to imply, that if we do not book a balcony or higher we don't "deserve" to be comfortable? Some people will just say anything to boost their #s. :mad:

I'll be back a little later, but:

Regarding the announcements...

First room had the hall speaker IMMEDIATELY outside of our door.

Second room had some sort of problem, as the speaker in the cabin would crackle and faintly give the annoucement that was being broadcast in the hall.

We were on the Glory May 16th.

We had an interior cabin 2385. And had the exact same issues.

Hi, Linda:)

I so wanted to make reference to your earlier Carnival Glory experience when I first glanced at this thread, but chose to not do so. I'm glad you were able to do that yourself.

I would like to say that i thought the OP's review was great. He sounded like he was trying to deal with everything in a calm manner and not get crazy and yell at anyone. Which I must admit my husband wuld have been doing after the first night.

I would also like to add that this happens on every cruise. We have been on the Monarch out of PC 2 times in the past month and 1/2 and we have had extremely hot cabins both times. i like it warmer than normal and even I was sweating and not sleeping. My husband was in hell, he likes it about 72 for sleeping. both times we asked about getting it fixed we were told it was in normal ranges, which was baloney because its gotta be about 85 for me to get hot.

i hope the OP gets some satisfaction.

Hi, Linda:)

I so wanted to make reference to your earlier Carnival Glory experience when I first glanced at this thread, but chose to not do so. I'm glad you were able to do that yourself.

That's why I posted. I could hear you saying...."tell them what happened to you".. LOL

We are going to have SOOO much fun on the Dream come December.

Maybe this time we will have porters to grab our luggage!!! ;)

We found she didn't like salt water pools. She tollerated the slide (though we didn't realize she was to small to go until the last day!)

Liberty, I accept your suggestion as sincere, thank you! We've had a balcony before and much like the last part of this trip, we found it to be hot and humid outside. Without air, that might truely have felt better.

My frustration comes down to, in a land based hotel I would check out and move on, even at 1 in the morning. (Not paying for the night). On a cruise ship things blur because of the whole ocean and floating thing. The first step is a doozy! But ultimately before this cruise, I've stayed in CAT 4, 6, & 8 on Fantasy, Spirit, & Destiny class ships and have never been anything but COLD! Even on this ship (Conquest Class), anywhere else we went WAS COLD.

Seriously, I really do appreciate the sincere responses from both sides. I'm literally just off the ship, so I may see added perspective after a goodnights sleep tonight or next week. Also am glad to hear that I'm not the first to have this happen.

Thanks for the dialog. Isn't that what CC is all about?

I feel you have been very fair in your comments. Not sure why some people feel it is necessary to attack your comments but I admire how cool headed you have remained! I also feel you have a valid complaint-sleeping in a hot room is very uncomfortable no matter where you live. Carnival did have their hands tied with no available room to offer you but I also feel some compensation should be offered. When a hotel room has problems, the better chains offer a free nights lodging. When a meal in a restaurant fails, they take it off the bill. I am platinum and love Carnival but also realize they are not perfect and sometimes customer service is lacking. You gave a good review.

Pat

I never suggested to sleep naked but maybe just shorts, etc. Clothing has a big impact on the heat factor. It doesn't make sense to crank down the temp and then wear something warm. It's summer, after all.

I grew up as a kid in Miami and slept in a bedroom with no A/C... the house had a window unit, just not in my room. Yes it is not comfortable but yes, you can sleep if you get tired, you get used to it. Not worth complaining about if there is nothing you can do about it.

To each his own, but my cruise is all about relaxing, being away from it all, being at sea, and not having any worries. It's not about personal comfort and having everything just the way I like it. Someone who appreciates comfort above all else is probably going to do better with a spa vacation.

Being in a contentious situation and having to make multiple visits to the purser, when I could be up on deck soaking up the sun, it's just not a good use of my precious vacation time. I'd rather be hot. I'm going to drink enough to guarantee I sleep soundly even if my room is on fire.

I would be a lot more sympathetic to the situation if the temp had been in the 80s or 90s. I don't think the ship's maintenance staff would have inaccurate temp sensors. That's their job.

Also, the cabins are packed so tightly, it's hard to believe that one cabin would be a drastically different temp than the next one. They don't have individual units - a malfunctioning system would affect many cabins. In that case I think it would be an urgent repair issue. If just one cabin reported a problem, its less urgent, maybe even treated as a non-issue.

This is one of the most ridiculous series of comments that I have ever read on CC. Especially the one "It's not about personal comfort" Are you serious?

A.

I never suggested to sleep naked but maybe just shorts, etc. Clothing has a big impact on the heat factor. It doesn't make sense to crank down the temp and then wear something warm. It's summer, after all.

I grew up as a kid in Miami and slept in a bedroom with no A/C... the house had a window unit, just not in my room. Yes it is not comfortable but yes, you can sleep if you get tired, you get used to it. Not worth complaining about if there is nothing you can do about it.

Being in a contentious situation and having to make multiple visits to the purser, when I could be up on deck soaking up the sun, it's just not a good use of my precious vacation time. I'd rather be hot. I'm going to drink enough to guarantee I sleep soundly even if my room is on fire.

I would be a lot more sympathetic to the situation if the temp had been in the 80s or 90s. I don't think the ship's maintenance staff would have inaccurate temp sensors. That's their job.

Also, the cabins are packed so tightly, it's hard to believe that one cabin would be a drastically different temp than the next one. They don't have individual units - a malfunctioning system would affect many cabins. In that case I think it would be an urgent repair issue. If just one cabin reported a problem, its less urgent, maybe even treated as a non-issue.

The OP stated they were not drinkers and why should anyone need to drink themselves into a stupor when they are on vacation. DH and I work long and hard to earn the money for a RELAXING vacation. For us sleep is a requirement for a restful vacation. I would not care what the temperture registered, I want to be comfortable on my vacation. If comfort wasn't the object I'd be in a tent in a campground saving myself a bundle.

Archived