Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

Salty & Liberty - I humbly disagree. Ever room has control. Granted all the control does is open or close the vent based on the temprature setting. (On Spirit Class Ships, I am told you actually open 1 of 2 vents...one that carries warm air, one that carries cold)

Oh, and my little one who is a FISH and loves to swim, took one jump into the pool and said "EWWW THIS POOL IS YUCKY!" :-)

They did quite a bit on the ship to address the complaints, which were - to me and apparently also to the ship's staff - of questionable validity.

If they were being honest with me, then they did everything that they could do. They didn't release the room of the paid guest until the chance of flyin was no longer possible.

I had 2 reps from the purser desk come down to our room on Belize day and agree that there was a problem, which I believe also guaranteed we get the replacement room.

I don't think it really matters what anyone else's personal "perfect temperature" is. The cabin was too hot and humid for the op and his family...bottom line! He has every right to be upset. I think they should have told him from the beginning that there was nothing they could do, offer the other cabin or a discount on a future cruise. Getting the run around makes me madder than the awful truth sometimes.

We had a problem with our television on the Victory last month. It would play for about 20 minutes and then shut off if you tried to change the channel. There was some box in the back they kept coming to reset. After the third time, the room steward agreed with us that we would just leave it on the whole time and turn the volume all the way down when we weren't watching it. I have horrible insomnia and need the television to fall asleep at night. It was a small pain, but nothing like the op's.

Salty & Liberty - I humbly disagree. Ever room has control. Granted all the control does is open or close the vent based on the temprature setting. (On Spirit Class Ships, I am told you actually open 1 of 2 vents...one that carries warm air, one that carries cold)

Oh, and my little one who is a FISH and loves to swim, took one jump into the pool and said "EWWW THIS POOL IS YUCKY!" :-)

Yucky from all the little ones who don't wear diapers? Like i said if you want to assure a cooler room maybe it's time to spend of few extra dollars on a Balcony room to assure your room comfort, after all any inside room is bound to be warmer with any outside air. Much the same can be said about any room in the house that is small and has no open windows if the air conditioner is not cranked to freeze mode.

Ya maybe the OP should of spent the time in the pools they are always about 65 degrees to cool off! Way to cold for my liking.A room at 75 to 78 is not that hot to me unless you are wearing way to many clothes to bed and have way to many blankets on.

Maybe the OP should move to the great white north of canada if his family likes the cold where you get to -40 during the winter months and are lucky to get into the mid 70.s for a few weeks during July.

Temperature really is a personal choice and a cruise ship cannot set individual room temperatures so 1 is at 65 and the next room beside it being 74 .Maybe the OP should always get a Balcony room where you can leave the balcony door open at night and get a nice breeze of fresh air if temperature is that big a issue with them?

Sorry to flame, but this has to be one of the dumbest statements I have seen! "Maybe the OP should have spent time in the pools" - - - Ummm, yeah, you can't SLEEP in the pools! You can't "sh!tt, shower, shave" at the pools (I would certainly hope not, anyway!!) Everyone has a cabin for a reason!

As you said, temperature *COMFORT* really is a PERSONAL thing! So who are you to be judgy?? Being that he lives in FL, I am sure the "OP" is probably more accustomed to the heat than someone who is from the north. That doesn't mean he should have to sweat through the night on his VACATION!

And to respond to Saltydingo: "To each his own, but my cruise is all about relaxing, being away from it all, being at sea, and not having any worries. It's not about personal comfort and having everything just the way I like it. Someone who appreciates comfort above all else is probably going to do better with a spa vacation."

You said it right there in your quote - TO EACH HIS OWN. Your cruise might not be about personal comfort, but for many people, myself included, personal comfort is an extremely important factor in planning a vacation! I want to relax... you cannot "relax" if you aren't comfortable! The two go hand-in-hand as far as I am concerned.

I have been reading your review with great interest because we cruised the Glory when it was new and it was one of our worst cruises ever...mainly because of the Purser's Desk and the Hotel Manager. Yes, changing cabins sounds good...but they don't like to do it, and they will make you suffer for doing it. (I went through our experiences in a review many years ago, don't want to go into it all again here.)

Anyway, I have been thinking of giving the Glory another try because I had hoped they had fixed some of their problems, maybe they have not.

As for the temperature being a personal thing, we live in Arizona and we usually have our A/C set at 82 and I get COLD at night. When I am traveling to other parts of the country I am amazed at how cold people live in the south and midwest! It must be the humidity.

I really think there are three things that can make or break a good ship, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director and Captain...in that order. If those three people are good everything else falls into place.

Thank you for your review. I might still give the Glory another try if the deal is there, if I do I will write another review.

Jas, I am really sorry this happened to you, I really hate a hot room too, and each room does have a control to adjust to suitable temp for each guest.

I think you posted an extremely positive review considering how many trials you went through on your cruise, I hope your next one is most excellent.

My guess is these people that like it warmer would be MEGA upset if say on a cruise to Alaska the heat wasn't working and they had to deal with temps in the 50s to 60s in their cabins.

Then those of us who live in colder temps could say "oh please, suck it up and put some clothes on, we leave our heat on 62 during the winter and since it doesn't bother me it shouldn't bother you" :rolleyes:

I really do not understand those of you that have to pick at someone because you do not agree with their complaint, just because it doesn't bother you to have warmer temps it's not valid? Thats a load of crap and extremely "me"sighted of you.

Carole

99% of the passengers are comfortable in the high 70s.

99% of pax?? - I'm not sure we are talking night time temps here though, as the OP was referring too. People keep mentioning the pool to cool off in but in the middle of the night? Seriously. The OP is talking night time temps here and if you are used to a cooler temp, why should you have to put up with a muggy high 70 if the cooling unit can deliver a more (personally) comfy temp?

I think the OP was quite justified in their complaint. My opinion - if you like it warmer, then close the vents. We, who like it cooler, will open our vents and keep our rooms at a temp of our liking.

Yucky from all the little ones who don't wear diapers? Like i said if you want to assure a cooler room maybe it's time to spend of few extra dollars on a Balcony room to assure your room comfort, after all any inside room is bound to be warmer with any outside air. Much the same can be said about any room in the house that is small and has no open windows if the air conditioner is not cranked to freeze mode.

We found she didn't like salt water pools. She tollerated the slide (though we didn't realize she was to small to go until the last day!)

Liberty, I accept your suggestion as sincere, thank you! We've had a balcony before and much like the last part of this trip, we found it to be hot and humid outside. Without air, that might truely have felt better.

My frustration comes down to, in a land based hotel I would check out and move on, even at 1 in the morning. (Not paying for the night). On a cruise ship things blur because of the whole ocean and floating thing. The first step is a doozy! But ultimately before this cruise, I've stayed in CAT 4, 6, & 8 on Fantasy, Spirit, & Destiny class ships and have never been anything but COLD! Even on this ship (Conquest Class), anywhere else we went WAS COLD.

Seriously, I really do appreciate the sincere responses from both sides. I'm literally just off the ship, so I may see added perspective after a goodnights sleep tonight or next week. Also am glad to hear that I'm not the first to have this happen.

Thanks for the dialog. Isn't that what CC is all about?

Wow.. we were on the imagination last dec. and had a light in the ceiling out. they took 4 hours in the room to fix, because they had to pull some panels out of the ceiling.. To make it up to us they gave us 15 percent off our next cruise and we did not even ask... used it for our Carnival dream trip saved 360 dollars I guess its who is running the pursers desk

I keep my a/c around 72ish during the summer and I live in hot Dallas. I wouldnt like it at 78 or 79 either. Anyone who says blanket statements like 99% would like it in the high 70s, must be in la la land to make such assumptions as if they know it to be true.

Wow.. we were on the imagination last dec. and had a light in the ceiling out. they took 4 hours in the room to fix, because they had to pull some panels out of the ceiling.. To make it up to us they gave us 15 percent off our next cruise and we did not even ask... used it for our Carnival dream trip saved 360 dollars I guess its who is running the pursers desk

wow I was on the conquest when ike hit and their desk was a total mess and hanging up on us and the worst cruise Iv ever taken ... and we werent offered a dime. I think if they offer compensation for a bad cruise is highly hit or miss. 15% is the max they offer per my PVP for really really bad cruises. You should consider yourself lucky someone gave you 15% off.

Wow.. I guess its who is running the pursers desk

I wonder if that isn't a part of it. I mentioned earlier that there was a pretty major changing of the guard in the past 6 weeks. Funny, the little display with all Sr. staff photos and names was a work in progress, and still didn't have photos by the end of the week, though names finally showed up.

The display on the plasma only had a photo of the Director of Housekeeping...

So whenever we book an inside or ocean view, we have no right to expect a comfortable temperature and air ventilation?

Iv never had trouble cooling off a inside or OV cabin. How in the world is a balcony going to be cooler in the middle of the summer?? Its way hotter outside than I want my cabin. I think the OP should have had a working a/c period. No excuses.

I knew the cheerleaders would be out en force defending carnival, but some of this is so ridiculous.

If I would come visit you and your house was 79 degrees you would see me sweating.

We keep our house 66-70 degrees.

My MIL keeps her thermostat set around 79-80, here in NC. As long as we sit still and don't move a muscle we don't break a sweat, but the second we start moving it gets pretty uncomfortable, and we end up having to peel ourselves off of her leather sofa, it is miserable. She keeps it set there because she is cheap, even though she could afford to keep it more comfortable.

We keep our thermostat between 70-72 most of the summer.

Our last trip on the legend, we had a balcony room and the a/c just barely did its job to cool the room, when our room was facing the rising sun, the room got uncomfortable.

Sorry to flame, but this has to be one of the dumbest statements I have seen! "Maybe the OP should have spent time in the pools" - - - Ummm, yeah, you can't SLEEP in the pools! You can't "sh!tt, shower, shave" at the pools (I would certainly hope not, anyway!!) Everyone has a cabin for a reason!

As you said, temperature *COMFORT* really is a PERSONAL thing! So who are you to be judgy?? Being that he lives in FL, I am sure the "OP" is probably more accustomed to the heat than someone who is from the north. That doesn't mean he should have to sweat through the night on his VACATION!

And to respond to Saltydingo: "To each his own, but my cruise is all about relaxing, being away from it all, being at sea, and not having any worries. It's not about personal comfort and having everything just the way I like it. Someone who appreciates comfort above all else is probably going to do better with a spa vacation."

You said it right there in your quote - TO EACH HIS OWN. Your cruise might not be about personal comfort, but for many people, myself included, personal comfort is an extremely important factor in planning a vacation! I want to relax... you cannot "relax" if you aren't comfortable! The two go hand-in-hand as far as I am concerned.

Agreed and well said!!! Getting too upset about a "personal comfort" issue is like my recent Vegas vacation where most restaurants don't have Splenda...didn't care for it but I used the pink stuff...or even, at a stretch, the motel hubby and I stayed in that had NO WATER to shower in the morning...really uncomfortable but we were on vacation so found a way to deal with the temporary situation and found another place. That is NOTHING compared to serveral nights in an overly warm room getting little to no sleep!! A vacation is ALL ABOUT that kind of personal comfort! The very least you can expect is a clean, comfortable room. I can understand telling someone that maybe they should not let the little things (like no Splenda) ruin their vacations...I would say the same thing...but no A/C is a big deal!

jas1178 - Thanks so much for posting your review. I have been trying to decide between Carnival & RCCL for our September cruise and I think your review really helped me through that process. I understand that AC can malfunction, but the response you received would have made me livid. I live in San Antonio where we've had many consecutive days over 100 this summer and the last thing I want to do is finish my summer off with a cruise in a hot cabin. And in my opinion, 74 at night is HOT.

So sorry you and your family had to endure that when you were expecting a fun, relaxing, comfortable vacation. I hope things are better next time.

Are you kidding?

Our last cabin was a balcony on the legend, and it was 90 degrees out every day and stayed in the '80s at night! It was by far the warmest cabin that we have ever had, lots of heat came in around the door, and in the mornings that the ship was positioned so the sun rose on our side of the ship you could feel the intense heat come in around the window and door.

Inside cabins don't have to contend with that, and OV rooms have more sealed up windows.

• Administrators
I understand you were a bit uncomfortable. I had a similiar situation on the Holiday, but I still fail to see where the NIGHTMARE is.

A NIGHTMARE is when a tornado comes thru and rips the roof off your house in the middle of the night. A cranky 3 yr old and a slightly warm room is not a nightmare.

I'm done. I really thought you had a real nightmare with the way you started off. This is why people get bashed here. Over exageration of complaints. I am not saying the OP exagerated what he experienced, but the title of this thread is completely misleading and an exageration.

And I disagree with you -- I don't consider 75+ degrees to be "slightly warm" -- that's HOT and unacceptable to me, so what the OP experienced would have been a nightmare for me too. Not a tragedy (like a tornado hitting a home) -- a "nightmare" -- a bad dream, a bad experience, something that leaves you frustrated/upset. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your experience, OP.

To each his own, but my cruise is all about relaxing, being away from it all, being at sea, and not having any worries. It's not about personal comfort and having everything just the way I like it. Someone who appreciates comfort above all else is probably going to do better with a spa vacation.

quote]

Well how can anyone expect someone to "relax" if they havent slept??? Makes absolutely no sense. I guess you dont go on vacation to be comfortable either. Just crazy.

I wonder if that isn't a part of it. I mentioned earlier that there was a pretty major changing of the guard in the past 6 weeks. Funny, the little display with all Sr. staff photos and names was a work in progress, and still didn't have photos by the end of the week, though names finally showed up.

The display on the plasma only had a photo of the Director of Housekeeping...

I seem to remember that some of the senior staff was going to the Dream. Who is the new Captain and Hotel Director?

And I disagree with you -- I don't consider 75+ degrees to be "slightly warm" -- that's HOT and unacceptable to me, so what the OP experienced would have been a nightmare for me too. Not a tragedy (like a tornado hitting a home) -- a "nightmare" -- a bad dream, a bad experience, something that leaves you frustrated/upset. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your experience, OP.

Gosh, in Chicago area 70's might be a positive. Vactioning during Thankgiving and wishing for 70-80-s in the room!!!

It's amazing, if someone posts, oh la la, everything was perfect, folks ohh and ahhh and thank them, and everyone is happy.

If someone says lots of good stuff, but I didnt like this, folks jump on them telling them their experience wasnt valid, it shouldnt have been a issue, they are making a mountain out of a molehill and generally tearing apart anyone who doesnt say everything was perfect.

Why wouldnt folks want to know that someone didnt like something, why discourage any honesty??

Archived