Amsterdam to Alaska: Should we upgrade?

bandlady74

Hi,

As I mentioned my other (first) post, my DH and I are booked on the Amsterdam to AK leaving on 8/22. It's our first cruise. After doing a lot of reading on these boards, I booked a specific E cabin, on the Dolphin deck, so that we would be low and center in the ship in case of seasickness.

Now I am wondering if I made a mistake by not going with a verandah room, as we would be able to enjoy the view from out there.

Should I ask my TA to inquire about an upgrade/upsell? What would you do?

Thanks,

Amy :)

Alaska is too grand to experience from a balcony. You need to be out on open decks to appreciate the vast splendor. Keeping your cabin on Dolphin Deck will motivate you to get up, dressed, and outside.

Save your extra money for a special excursion. Try flight-seeing!

We loved being able to enjoy both the public deck space, and the privacy of our own quiet Alaska, from the balcony.

Little things like being able to step out into the fog during the night when the fog horn starts blasting, and watching the sunset very late at night are a few of the reasons we would get one again... Also, on warmer days, its like having another room...

Whichever way you go, you will have a ball. The Amsterdam is a beautiful ship and Alaska is a wonderful destination...

:D:D:D

You can actually watch the water from your E cat cabin, and it looks quite close. When we were in Mexico, I got to watch sea lions "up close & personal" from our cabin. It was great, and a close-up view that you would not be able to get from a verandah or anywhere else on the ship. Whereas you can get views VERY similar to a verandah view from the public decks.

And if you are worried about seasickness, your current cabin is a good location to minimize the rockin' & rollin'

Ultimately, though, only you can decide what is right for you.

Alaska is too grand to experience from a balcony. You need to be out on open decks to appreciate the vast splendor. Keeping your cabin on Dolphin Deck will motivate you to get up, dressed, and outside.

Here's another take on the "get up, dressed, and outside" theory. Sleep later then throw on whatever clothes you want, don't worry about makeup or hair, grab your room service coffee, and step outside onto your private balcony to enjoy the view.

And, oh yes, absolutely go flightseeing! :D

Diane

I have sailed in an outside cabin and in a Deluxe corner aft Suite, in Alaska. Both times, I spent most of the time, on deck, with everyone else.

Give me an inside/outside any day, in Alaska.

We had a balcony for the first time for the inside passage this past June. For the major sites like being in Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm we spent a lot of time on deck. Actually though what made the balcony really nice was not those times.

It was watching the floatplanes take off in Ketchikan, leaving Glacier Bay going out into the Pacific, just sailing back along the inside passage and being able to watch from inside in the warmth. All those little moments add up and made it worth a lot. The scenery is trully spetacular. If you like seeing this sort of thing you will probably end up watching for hours at a time.

The alternative is spending a lot of time in the Crow's Nest. That is what I would advise if you choose not to change. A lot of people were doing that. If this is what would allow you to do a whale watch or floatplane trip then perhaps stick with what you have.

Either choice gives advantages so there is no right or wrong and no real mistakes.

I would choose the balcony as the sites are absolutly breath taking. If you wake up during the night chances are it will still be light enough to see things. And yes watching the float planes take off and land from your balcony is great. You might even see a whale.

You get the panorama view from the Crow's nest; not just one side. I have to admit I rarely see other people on their balconies when I go out there. We have had balconies in the Med. and Caribbean. Sometimes it is too sunny and hot, or too windy and cold!

Thanks to everyone for their help on this! Yes, we already have the floatplane/Taku Lodge feast excursion reserved, as there were many fantastic reviews of it on Tripadvisor.

We are definitely "get up and go" people, so maybe the outside cabin is still the way to go.

Having never been on a cruise before, I assume the Crow's Nest is high up on the ship with lots of windows. Am I right?

Thanks again,

Amy:)

Having never been on a cruise before, I assume the Crow's Nest is high up on the ship with lots of windows. Am I right?

Right. It's a high, forward observation lounge with about 270 degrees (maybe more) of view. There is an outside deck behind it which allows for quick outside viewing, and an easy walk from side to side.

It is a nice place to watch the scenery from, but not as good as being outdoors, IMO.

We sailed on the Amsterdam July 4-11. Since this was one of 4 trips this year, we decided to save money by booking an inside cabin. It was fine, but we probably would have enjoyed an ocean view better. However, I have to say that we were on the main deck and it was just one flight up to Amsterdam's wonderful promenade deck. That was where we spent the majority of our time. We loved the Amsterdam so much that we booked another Alaskan cruise while onboard. Initially, we booked a verandah, but after much discussion we decided we'd rather save the money for excursions and downgraded to an ocean view. BTW, the booking person on Amsterdam advised us to lock in the verandah, just in case. The ship is smaller than some and does not have a lot of verandah cabins.

It really takes at least two cruises to do AK right anyway - one for Glacier Bay and ports to the south, and one to see Hubbard Glacier and places north. I suggest you stay in the E this first time to see how you are with seasickness during those times that you are on higher decks, and how much you wish you had the private verandah. You may not miss it at all.

I don't know how close your E is to the stairs, but the Lower Promenade is just two decks up and the views are just about as great from there as they are from a private verandah.

On our 2nd AK cruise we were on the Lower Promenade deck, and I think that is the best solution of all. The only thing you can't do there is go out in your bathrobe ... or shouldn't anyway! If we do a 3rd AK, we will again book on the Lower Promenade. :):)

We have always had inside cabins and had our first balcony this year. We liked having a view (which I am assuming you have) but we would have been fine without a balcony. The only day we were really grateful to have it was on College Fjord day when the captain woke us up at 7:00 a.m. (still a little peeved about that one) and we could go out and look in our jammies.

I loved our veranda on our Alaskan cruise. There were 3 special times during the day when I enjoyed it the most.

1. First thing in the morning, throwing on my slippers and HAL bathrobe and stepping out onto the balcony and smell the air...aaaaahhhh. Then sip my coffee while looking at the scenery.

2. Having a pre-dinner cocktail & snacks on the veranda holding hands with dear hubby.

3. Late at night before bedtime, going out on the veranda and watch the sunset, have a nightcap and say goodnight to a wonderful day.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

Many thanks to all of the above posters. We've decided to stay with our outside stateroom on the Dolphin deck. We love getting "up and out", so it won't be a problem for us to go to the Crow's nest or whatever to see the sights. Maybe for our next cruise we'll splurge on an verandah.....

Amy:)

We were offered an upgrade a few weeks before our Alaska sailing this year. After debating whether the $249 each was worth it, decided to go for it! Well, it was FANTASTIC!!!! Amsterdam balconies are not just balconies, as on other cruise ships. They are SUITES!!! Large cabins, full bathrooms, large balcony with chaise lounge....the best deal going for that price for an upgrade. Adding the cost of the upgrade per person to the cost of our oceanview was still FAR less than the suites were selling for originally. So maybe you will get lucky too? Be sure to advise your TA if they get an upgrade offer, to share it with you!

Archived