Is a nice pants suit good enough for Formal night?

Hellolost

I have a dress for the first night but I just got laid off and really don't want to spend the money on a second dress if I can help it. I have a nice soft green pants suit though and was wondering if that would work. If not I guess I will just skip the second one.

I think it will really depend on the cruiseline....some are more "dressy" than others. You won't be turned away by any cruiseline, tho....

Any way to "change up" the dress? Different shoes, or jewelry? I can tell you, few (if any) folks will notice if you wear something more than once!!!!

Unless your dress is particularly outlandish, flashy, showy -- I really doubt anyone (but your partner, perhaps) will notice that you've worn the same dress twice. And if you really are self-conscious about it, a scarf or shawl can change the entire appearance.

(And if your partner is like mine of 42 years, he'd probably not notice if I worn the same outfit for the entire cruise! :) )

It does have a fair amount of cleavage so that is pretty obvious lol

So likely no one will notice the dress :D (just kiddiing!) Seriously, though, more and more of us are taking only one dress for formal night, by choice, to reduce the packing. If you can change your jewelry, great. If not, that is good too :) Add a wrap, maybe, for the 2nd night?

I am thinking about taking one dress to wear to both formal nights. I plan on taking a scarf and shawl to "mix it up".

My other consideration is taking a nice pair of black pants and different tops.

For me whatever I take is gonna have to fit the shoes cuz this time I only want to take one pair...

last time took too many (3 pairs : one for each formal and one for the casual : way too much).

For my last Alaska cruise (May09) I took a long black jersey skirt & two "fancy" tops. Worked fine. And one pair of evening shoes, that I wore with black silk cropped pants for the evenings that weren't formal, and with the skirt for formal.

I'm a reformed overpacker -- used to take 2 HUGE checked bag, and a carryon for 7 days. I now refuse to have to lug luggage, y'know? Less is more now for me.

A nice pant suit will be fine. I've seen lots of people on RC, NCL and HAL wear pants and a nice top or a nice pant suit. The 2nd night of dress up is not as fancy as the 1st. Most people dress in their best for the meet the captain night.

You will be fine in your pant suit. Or like others said, wear the same dress two times. Most likely no one will notice and if they do no one will give it a 2nd thought.

Joanne

I have a dress for the first night but I just got laid off and really don't want to spend the money on a second dress if I can help it. I have a nice soft green pants suit though and was wondering if that would work. If not I guess I will just skip the second one.

A nice pants suit is absolutely fine for formal night! Enjoy your cruise.

Pearl

I have never seen more women in pants than in dresses on formal nights on any of the cruises I have been on. If the pants are "formal" and you have a sparkly top, then that might work but a Hilary Clinton pant suit type outfit could never be considered formal. A little black dress can be dressed up with great heels and jewlelry to wear on both nights. That is what I am planning on doing for my next cruise.

I have never seen more women in pants than in dresses on formal nights on any of the cruises I have been on. If the pants are "formal" and you have a sparkly top, then that might work but a Hilary Clinton pant suit type outfit could never be considered formal. A little black dress can be dressed up with great heels and jewlelry to wear on both nights. That is what I am planning on doing for my next cruise.

While a pant suit "could not be considered formal" you will certainly see many many pants at formal night. I personally wore an ivory light weight wool suit on my last two cruises....with a silk top and beautiful jewelry...and received a few nice compliments. Sparkles and sequins are fine for some but smartly elegant can never be wrong.

Wear your pant suit. Enjoy yourself....a smile is your best accessory!

I have been dressing up dressy pants with sparkly tops/jackets for years. My husband prefers me in pants, what can I say.

I do recommend taking more than one pair of shoes. Have broken a heel a couple of times over the years, glad I had a back up pair of heels.

We do wear some evening wear more than once, especially on international trips because with the new luggage limits, 50 lbs vs the old 70lb limit per suitcase, we have cut back.

If you are going to Alaska, folks do seem to dress less formal on these trips. You will have a great time.

Does it really matter how many women wear pants vs dresses? If the op wants to wear pants then who cares. She can't really afford to go buy the little black dress and heals.

It's nice that you have one but if she doesn't then she is fine wearing the pants.

A Hilary Clinton pant suit type outfit would not offend any one at dinner and she would be fine to wear it.

If you really want a second dress you might consider a thrift store - Goodwill, etc. - or ebay. I bought a couple of really nice formal dresses on ebay for almost nothing. I even know someone who bought her wedding dress at Goodwill for $50. She redid a little beadwork, had it cleaned, and no one had a clue.

My opinion is, if you want to wear the pants suit, wear it. There is nothing wrong with a nice pants suit at all. Dress it with a Rhinestone Pin, Earrings and you are set to go. Why spend money if you do not have to?

I have seen every type of outfit a woman can wear on Formal nights on my last 4 cruises. From Very Formal to street clothes. Every woman still looked very nice in the dining room. ;)

I am not even taking formal clothes for the first time in 27 cruises. We have decided to do the My Time Dining and we are going to eat in the Windjammer on formal nights.

I do not have to worry about this and I can't wait. :D

I wanted to thank all of you for your opinions. It is a Hillary type pant suit by the way lol.

I do have the first dress which is fancy and I will be looking for other jewelry (not looking good)

We shall see!

Thanks again. I really honestly cannot afford to purchase any fancy clothes right now and was kind of nervous.

Hellolost.....do NOT worry about wearing pants....many, many women will be also. The last dress [ or skirt] I wore was my wedding dress. ! I still look " dresed up " and don't forget...the biggest part of how you look is how you feel about yourself.

Like others have said, dress it up with some different jewelry. We are very minimalist with our packing (1 standard case between the 2 of us, plus 1 rollaboard each) -I usually wear the same dress for both formal evenings. Who CARES what other people think! The only exception is when we travel on Cunard - then we do go all-out with ball gowns & tuxedo.

Hello,

The idea is to look nice and I'm sure you will look great in a pantsuit on formal night. And don't let anyone else tell you to (1) don't go to formal night and (2) that you won't be dressed formally enough.

Wear your pantsuit and go to formal night.

Fred

I think a nice pantsuit will be fine. For both nights.

I try to pack as light as possible. One of the most liberating things that ever occurred to me:

In all likelihood, I will never see any of these people ever again in my whole life (unless we mutually choose to do so)

SO WHY WOULD I CARE WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT I WORE SOMETHING TWICE.

Edited to add: DON'T skip formal night. It's a lot of fun!

Try a twice around shop or second hand clothing store. We have a local

one that has only name brand clothing. You can take one pair of pants,

two dressy tops (10.00 or so at the second hand store) and you're all set.

Go enjoy! Do not spend money you do not have. Really I think one dress for both formal nights is JUST FINE. Make up your mind that anybody who is judgemental of your clothes you probably would not enjoy being with anyway. BESIDES YOU WILL NEVER SEE THESE FOLKS AGAIN LIKELY. :D

Archived