Port to Athens by taxi

MSPCUBS

Will be in Athens in January from 12 to 8. I would like to take a taxi to the Acropolis (will be with my elderly Mom so I do not want to do public tranport) and then visit that area and go to the Placa to eat and shop. Then, take a taxi back to the port. Is this doable? Will there be taxis readily available? What would be the cost? Thank you for any information.

Will be in Athens in January from 12 to 8. I would like to take a taxi to the Acropolis (will be with my elderly Mom so I do not want to do public tranport) and then visit that area and go to the Placa to eat and shop. Then, take a taxi back to the port. Is this doable? Will there be taxis readily available? What would be the cost? Thank you for any information.

Yes, this is very doable. There are plenty of taxis lined up outside the cruiseport terminal. The cost should be about 20 Euros (although I read on the Athens tripadvisor forum that taxi costs will be going up significantly in 2010; but with the huge downturn in tourism they've had this past year, who knows?) each way.

Many of the taxi drivers want to give you a full day's tour for a lot more money. But there is tourist police right inside the terminal, so feel free to mention that you'll fetch them.

Also, ignore the posted on the pillars prices, which no one will follow.

One more thing: agree on your 20 Euros before either of you get in the taxi, so there are no issues later on. Forget trying to get the driver to use a meter for this cruiseport-Athens trip, which is only 7 miles and takes about 20-25 minutes, depending on traffic.

We have been in Athens twice in the past year, once last September and then again last month, and we enormously enjoyed both our visits. It's a lively city, but wonderful pedestrian paths were added to the central core in preparation for hosting the Olympics, and it is delightful to roam the streets of the Plaka.

Enjoy your trip!

Are you palnning to walk up the steps to the Acropolis? We first hired a taxi for an hour at the port. 50 Euros. He took us to a viewing area below the Acropolis for photos. Then a short stop at the Olympic Stadium. Then a drop off at the Plaka.

We took a different taxi from the Plaka back to our ship. 34 Euros. There are a fair amount of taxis, but it might take a few minutes to find one that is empty. If you get stuck, walk over to a major hotel. The first taxi we flagged down did not speak English. So he claimed. He could not figure out we wanted to go to the cruise terminal even when we showed him the map from the ship and a picture of the ship. So we got out and took another taxi.

Athens taxi's are the worst, I'm sorry to say. There are a lot of taxi's right outside the port terminal. There is a sign in the terminal that says 7-9 euro's for taxi fare to the acropolis. Once you get to the taxi queue all of the cab drivers want you to pay 100 to 140 euro's for a 3 or 4 hour tour with them. They are very reluctant to give you just a one way ride to the acropolis area. We paid 20 euro for one way. Many of the other passengers paid more and many (6 or 8) were ripped off - meaning that they gave the cabbie a 50 euro note and then were told they only gave a 10 euro note and needed to pay another 20 or the cabbie would call the police.

Sorry to give this news to you. Our cruise - Holland America Noordam - had an excursion that would just give you only transportation to and from the acropolis area. It may be a good idea to look into that option.

The metro station is a long walk to the cruise terminal (25 minutes approx.) but the metro charges 1 euro per person for 1.5 hours of use. And they can't rip you off.

Also, the acropolis is a lot of walking. There were thousands of people walking into and out of the acropolis when we were there and foot traffic patterns are horrible. There is only one way in and out and hundreds of people were converging in opposite directions on one 12 foot wide section.

Athens taxi's are the worst, I'm sorry to say. There are a lot of taxi's right outside the port terminal. There is a sign in the terminal that says 7-9 euro's for taxi fare to the acropolis. Once you get to the taxi queue all of the cab drivers want you to pay 100 to 140 euro's for a 3 or 4 hour tour with them. They are very reluctant to give you just a one way ride to the acropolis area.

We found this to be very true on our recent visit (May this year) We couldnt find a taxi that would take us just to the Acropolis and drop us off....... they all wanted to do 1/2 day or full day "tours". So we walked to the metro and took it in. Not an option for an elderly Mom. We did take a taxi BACK to the ship for 20 euros from the Plaka. I agree with the above poster about the ship tour.... might be a good option with your Mom. And the climb to the top might be quite a challenge for your Mom too. Lots of uneven (and sometimes slippery) steps and tons and tons of people.....going up and down in the same area :eek: not a great system !

Read your post. There is no taxi available for 6. You will have to use a van. My family of 6 used Nikos Loukas for a private tour and were very satisfied. Visit his web site www.privategreecetours.com and find more information.

I don't know what you mean? READ MY POST? I was asking a valid question....I have not seen anywhere in this thread anyone say that there are NOT taxi's that would accomodate 6 people...I do not want a tour...I want to know how to get a family of 6 to the Acropolis and then the Plaka....If 2 taxi's are the answer than so be it...I would imagine that in all if Athens there are mini-van taxi's...how are you so sure there are not? Did you pose the question for your family of 6?

You will need two taxis; there are no minivan taxis. You can prearrange a van for a tour or just transportation, but for six, two taxis are much cheaper. I know this because I am a daily participant on the Athens forum of tripadvisor, and this question has been asked there several times.

It should cost 20 Euros per taxi from Piraeus to central Athens. No need to have the taxi wait for you; the Plaka is right next to the Acropolis.

CintiPam:

A year ago we went from the center of the Plaka back to the ship for 32 Euros. Tip extra. He used the meeter the whole way. That was at about 2:00PM . Lots of traffic back to the ship.

CintiPam:

A year ago we went from the center of the Plaka back to the ship for 32 Euros. Tip extra. He used the meeter the whole way. That was at about 2:00PM . Lots of traffic back to the ship.

if he use the tariff #2 the price is over 30 euros.. but, at 2:00PM must use tariff #1

Fblack, you definitely got taken big time. Your driver must have been using the night meter. (That's what Fafos meant when talking about tariffs #1 and #2.)

Athens taxi meters are equipped for #1, the day fare, and #2, the night fare, only for between midnight and, I believe, 5 AM, provided by flipping a switch.

Your fare really was 16 Euros.

(That's why I post about the fares.)

I too am looking for a van to take 5 to downtown Athens in Sept. I have emailed most of the taxi, tour companies with an on-line presence or mention on CC and Trip Advisor. Almost identical quotes of 400 Euros or more 1/2 day "tour" and they all want a credit card up front (prepay!). Have not had anyone reply with just the taxi fare which I made clear was what I wanted. This is also for taxi service as drivers are not allowed to call themselves guides or act as guides.They are silver tongued in telling you how they are not guides but do such a good job of telling you about the place you won't need a guide!

I am still not sure what we are going to do. Istanbul was so easy. Contacted a guide mentioned on CC and agreed to van/driver/guide (named) for our private use for 8 hours a day for 250 US dollars. Payment on completion of 3 day tour. Athens makes me feel like they are trying to cheat me and I haven't even been there yet!

I too am looking for a van to take 5 to downtown Athens in Sept. I have emailed most of the taxi, tour companies with an on-line presence or mention on CC and Trip Advisor. Almost identical quotes of 400 Euros or more 1/2 day "tour" and they all want a credit card up front (prepay!). Have not had anyone reply with just the taxi fare which I made clear was what I wanted. This is also for taxi service as drivers are not allowed to call themselves guides or act as guides.They are silver tongued in telling you how they are not guides but do such a good job of telling you about the place you won't need a guide!

I am still not sure what we are going to do. Istanbul was so easy. Contacted a guide mentioned on CC and agreed to van/driver/guide (named) for our private use for 8 hours a day for 250 US dollars. Payment on completion of 3 day tour. Athens makes me feel like they are trying to cheat me and I haven't even been there yet!

Are you looking for a tour? Two taxis for 20 Euros each way, and then DIY is easy because all the main tourist sights in Athens are very close together and walkable. Taxis are plentiful and easily found right outside the cruise terminal.

The ticket for the Acropolis and other main archaelogical sights (Agora, Roman Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus, etc.) is 12 Euros (good for four days). With all the pedestrianized areas and the horrendous traffic in central Athens, walking is the best option. If you want a tour, Athens Walking Tours has licensed guides and are the outfit recommended on sister website tripadvisor's Athens forum (where I am an active participant.)

Kalimera

I just wanted to confirm your concerns about taking a taxi..we were just in Athens for a week as part of a land vacation.

There are elevators in the Syntagma Square METRO station HOWEVER they were NOT working the entire week.

Many times the escalators were down too

here's a couple of pictures of the stairs....

Just click on them to enlarge..the 1st is looking down to go to where you catch the metro and the 2nd is looking up

A taxi is clearly the best option traveling with your mom

I will be adding our Athens photos shortly to our travel website and will let you know when they are up, in case you are interested

• 2 weeks later...
Dude, if you want one car you will have to get a mini-van, otherwise two taxis. There are mini-vans for transportation too, not only for tours. I do not know what you guys do in Canada, but I have not heard any cabbies allowing more than 4 people in their cab, unless of course you go to a primitive third world country. As for your response, it was really obnoxious. You POSTED a "valid question" and I answered your POST.

Dear anniverary/gradtrip and ny4cruise,

I think that this tiff is all a misunderstanding of "read your post", with ny4cruise stating he had read, as in the color red, anniversary/grad trip's post versus telling anniversary/gradtrip to read his own post.

Dear anniverary/gradtrip and ny4cruise,

I think that this tiff is all a misunderstanding of "read your post", with ny4cruise stating he had read, as in the color red, anniversary/grad trip's post versus telling anniversary/gradtrip to read his own post.

Exactly....after re-reading the response..it now makes sense. I thought the poster was saying READ YOUR POST (like I was an idiot)...Now that I have re-"RED" mypost...my apologies...misunderstanding....I couldn;t figure out why my question annoyed ny4cruise so much...it's actually kinda funny....sorry for the caps...I thought I was being told off and I couldn't figure out why...

When we were in Athens this summer we had the good fortune to be there on a Sunday so the traffic and the crowds were very light. A taxi from the port to the Acropolis was 20 euros per cab. The trip took only about 15-20 minutes. On weekdays it takes significantly longer. We were told an hour or so on weekdays.

There are tons of cabs at the port and at the Acropolis. If a cabbie won't go with your price, walk away. They will come down. Princess clued us in to the going rate and the negotiating technique and it worked beautifully.

There is a GREAT taverna in the Plaka called Scholario (sp?). It's family style Greek and the food is fantastic. It's in a beautiful old house and you dine on the front porch under an arbor covered with grape vines.

oh sure no problem...

you can pull it out when you are trying to make the point that

YOU are RIGHT!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

BTW, I took a look at your website this afternoon and have added it to my travel favorites. It is very impressive, and you provide wonderful travel links.

Hope you both are back to good health now!

oh, i;m so glad you liked our website!!!

It's been a true labor of love

we just finished sorting the pictures this past weekend, so in the next 2 weeks i'm going to try and get them all up..and I will post that over on the tripadvisor board too

and for others reading this..

cintipam is referencing my SEVERE food poisioning that lasted almost 3 weeks abroad during our land trip

to Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria and then another 3 weeks when I got back home

DH was ok the entire time

It was me...

my doctor thinks it was unpasteurized yogurt in Turkey...

I will tell you, it was getting pretty scary...I couldn't retain anything and the bottled water was making me even sicker..

I had a 6 day supply of cipro we brought from home as "just in case first aid" and then in Bulgaria went to get another 4 days

...no one spoke fluent English and all in Cyrillic alphabet...

pharmacist says no black market ..i think

the only thing I could retain was potato chips for salt and flat coca cola

sugar and salt it's amazing how you can stabilize with just those 2 ingredients

After 22 days my doctor said I give you 2 more days to come home and if you cant then you are to

contact the US embassy in Bulgaria for assistance....as there were no doctors coming up in the International doctor registry for veliko turnovo, bulgaria

I will be doing a write up because even as savvy travellers we learned a lot on this trip about being this ill.

Besides being sick it was an INCREDIBLE adventure!

my doctor thinks it was unpasteurized yogurt in Turkey...

That is so ironic. I try to eat yogurt every day when I travel because I have found it really has helped me to avoid stomach issues. And I absolutely loved the yogurt in Istanbul and Athens so much that I now spend more money purchasing Fage (Greek-style) yogurt at Trader Joe's, while I complain that it is not as good as Turkish yogurt with fresh honey from the honeycomb.

Glad to hear that your health has returned to normal!:)

Archived