What shocked you the most

On our recent Independence TA, I was walking around the pool on my way back to the cabin from a work out and I saw several ladies who were trying to avoid tan lines by removing their tops and then trying several ingenious ways to remain sufficiently covered. One in particular was face up, but had her undone top laying across her bosoms. Unfortunately, she was asleep and the wind, her own movement or some other force majeure had caused the top to move to where is was not aligned with what it was supposed to cover. In this particular instance, I averted my eyes. I did so mainly because -- well let's just say this was not the most attractive woman in the world.

Several years ago a lady was observed systematically putting silver ware into her purse. Rather than confront her and have a ugly incident, the security chief waited until the end of the cruise and notified customs officials. naturally she did not declare her stolen silver. As we were departing the ship customs officials were in the process of going thru her luggage and pulling out several dozen pieces of silverware. She was already in handcuffs and was using an amazing vocabulary of four letter words.

It seemed to me that was the perfect way to handle the thief.

Bob

Several years ago a lady was observed systematically putting silver ware into her purse. Rather than confront her and have a ugly incident, the security chief waited until the end of the cruise and notified customs officials. naturally she did not declare her stolen silver. As we were departing the ship customs officials were in the process of going thru her luggage and pulling out several dozen pieces of silverware. She was already in handcuffs and was using an amazing vocabulary of four letter words.

Bob

LOL! I love the solution that the Security Chief used!

These are some great stories!

I have seen some amazing things on the cruises I've taken, but I have to say the one that tops them all are the guys who, after getting caught by ship officers skinny dipping while drunk, proceeded to then do naked cartwheels around the pool deck while being questioned. HILARIOUS!!!:D

ROTFL!! That must have been priceless! :D:D:p

The only thing I had happen was when I went to the Quest game. I had never gone before and had no idea what to expect. Well the host asked for a woman's bra. Many women were trying to wiggle theirs off under their top.

This one older lady just stood up, took her top off and then her bra. Nothing covering her up. She didn't sit down for awhile either and when she did she wasn't going to cover up but someone in back of her told her to put her sweater on as it was not a pretty sight.

In the same game the men were in their underwear. This one old and very heavy man went up and was walking around. He had on tighty whitey underwear that were WAY to big and completely stretched out. When he walked you saw EVERYTHING! Again, not a pretty sight.

Though both of these shocked me I have to admit I never laughed so hard in my life before.

Some people just don't care what they look like and couldn't care less about what you think of them without clothes on. Good for them...I guess.

That's an easy one.

It would be the lap dance someone got from his significant other on the Grandeur. She had on a T back and performed on the pool deck in front of the playing steel band and everyone on that deck and on the overlooking deck. Not a person missed it.

They later were picked as contestants on the Love and Marriage Show. All you heard was whispering, "she's the one".

The fun thing was they were in the L&M Show as the Couple Married 50 Years...

What amazed me on our first cruise and continues to amaze me to this day is the way people swarm to the buffet lines ignore those already in line

Siiiigh. My sister just did that with me at a sushi buffet last week. I went up and came back saying, "I couldn't get any sashimi...the line was so long!" She said, "There's no such thing as a line at a buffet...just walk up and take what you want." She couldn't understand the concepts of 1) That would mean literally getting in between two people who are standing a foot apart, and 2) Possibly taking the last piece of something that someone just stood in 'line' waiting for.

Some people just don't get it.

Hopefully this will be a lighthearted post ;)

Just reading on another site about the rudeness and arrogance (i.e sunbed reserving, pushing to the front of queues to be first off ship) of some guests. I'm a first timer..so whats the worst thing you have seen which left you picking your jaw off the deck - then I can give these guests a wide berth (forgive the pun !!):D

Watching a mother sit and watch her kids eating pizza poolside, putting their filthy little hands everywhere and dropping pizza in the pool :rolleyes:

ROTFL!! That must have been priceless! :D:D:p

It was...I only wish I could have taken a picture. The officer that was asking the questions had this straight,serious face but his other officers were having a hard time keeping a straight face.

The only thing I had happen was when I went to the Quest game. I had never gone before and had no idea what to expect. Well the host asked for a woman's bra. Many women were trying to wiggle theirs off under their top.

This one older lady just stood up, took her top off and then her bra. Nothing covering her up. She didn't sit down for awhile either and when she did she wasn't going to cover up but someone in back of her told her to put her sweater on as it was not a pretty sight.

In the same game the men were in their underwear. This one old and very heavy man went up and was walking around. He had on tighty whitey underwear that were WAY to big and completely stretched out. When he walked you saw EVERYTHING! Again, not a pretty sight.

Though both of these shocked me I have to admit I never laughed so hard in my life before.

Some people just don't care what they look like and couldn't care less about what you think of them without clothes on. Good for them...I guess.

ROTFLMAO!!! :D:D

We were just getting back on the ship in Bermuda and heard this awful scream. We turned around in time to watch a woman drive one of the rental scooters right off the end of the pier. The ship security that was checking IDs to get back on all ran and dove in after her. Fortunately, she was really beat up, but they were able to get her out. The entire time, her husbad (I presume) who watched the whole thing -- and never went in after her -- was shouting, about how he wasn't going to pay to replace the scooter. Not a word about the PERSON riding it.

We saw her around the ship on the way back to NY. She was pretty beat up and had her arm in a sling. I'd imagine his trip back was pretty unpleasant as well.

That was probably 15 years ago and whenever we see someone on a scooter, my family still talks about that guy.

I'm disappointed I haven't seen anything nearly as interesting as these events....I need to cruise more often!!!

I'd like to chime in about the man who bloodied the boy at the bus...what a jerk!!! Most of the people mentioned in the other post are ignorant but the man at the bus was a jerk!! (I wanted to write the three letter word that starts with "a" but didn't want to offend anyone;))

I don't think any of these people are ignorant. I think they're all arrogant and full of themselves. Obviously they are thinking only of themselves or they wouldn't do the things they did. They also end up being the people who make the most noise when confronted and will say that they're being victimized. Somoene taught them at some point in their lives that they can have what they want at the expense of others, because other people just aren't important.

I don't find any of it funny. I do find it sad and extremely disgusting that there are so many hostile, rude, self-serving people. I am by no means a really touchy-feely emotional person, but I am very respectful of people and their space and would never cut in front of anyone or touch anyone. I'm sure there are people reading this thread thinking "what's the big deal, everybody does it"? And, no, everybody doesn't do it.

Bob

Similarly, one woman on a cruise tried to steal the wooden box of teas that the waiters bring for after dinner coffees. Security did the same thing. They waited for her to depart the ship, and then had her arrested.

Now if the Mom I mentioned in the earlier post punched the "lady" in the mouth for calling her son trailer trash, just imagine what her wrath would have been if it was her son the man at the bus stop knocked down.

This isn't exactly a funny story but it's one we've always remembered. This was about 10 years ago. We were on an 11 day cruise from Tahiti to Hawaii. There was a problem with the charter that was flying us down to Tahiti so a bunch of passengers were put up in a hotel. We were having dinner that night in the hotel and noticed an older gentleman, probably in his 70s with an attractive women probably 50's. He wasn't being very nice to her and was rather loud. Most of the restaurant was watching him. For the first few days of the cruise we would see her wheeling him around in a wheelchair while once again he was bossing her around. We didn't see them during the sea days as were approaching Hawaii. Then the day before we hit our first port in Hawaii we were in the showlounge waiting for Bingo to start and watching these people take hula lessons. The lady came off the stage after taking her lesson, sat in front us and started talking to another passenger and we heard her tell the other woman that her husband had passed away during one of the sea days. We felt bad and figured she would disembark at the first port. Nope....we saw her everyday for the rest of the cruise having a good time. Going to the shows, in the disco in the evenings we were even on one of the same tours in Hawaii. We still tell people that story.

Jim

This amazes me too. Some people act like the ship is going to run out of food!!

That's why humans are closer to animals than we think!

(& for the 'classists' why RCL = CCL)

The recent Nat Geo FOS profile interviewed a waiter who said he saw ppl pour mounds of food on their plates & then not touch a bit of it & just trash it.

On Liberty in December, we did self-disembarkation at Miami. We were running about 15 minutes late b/c of a customs delay, and a few people had jumped in line, so people were cranky, as they always are at that early hour. There was our line for US Citizens, and the line for non-US was at the other end of the ship. As we're finally getting off, this couple comes bounding down the stairs, yelling at the top of their lungs, screaming at each other in some language I didn't understand. They pushed ahead of all of us, and when informed that the woman--a non-US citizen--would have to go to the other line, they went nuts. They were throwing things, getting into the faces of the customs guys, screaming at other passengers, and trying to tell them that they had "special" passports that allowed them to get off the ship first. It took 4 customs officials to subdue her, kicking and screaming. Then her husband did the typical "do you know who I am?" and then he too had to be held back. I was embarrassed for them, and since they made us even later, they got some ugly things yelled at them. It was not pretty.

This was after a week in which I had a woman tell me that I was too pale and that it was "unsightly." My mom died of skin cancer, and I am just very pale, so I put on a lot of high SPF when I'm on a cruise. This woman looked like worn leather and she told me that I needed to invest in some self-tanner. I would never tell her that her skin would make a good purse!:D

Jaw-dropping on the Jewel:

At the "taco-bar" area of the buffet one day, a guy drops the cheese tongs on the floor. (Shredded cheese is everywhere). Myself and another lady couldn't stop him quickly enough before he picked up the tongs and puts it back in the cheese! I stepped in going "no, no, no" .... gave him the "duuuuhhhh" look, and called over an attendant to take the cheese away. The other lady patted me on the back and said "good girl". :o

We were just getting back on the ship in Bermuda and heard this awful scream. We turned around in time to watch a woman drive one of the rental scooters right off the end of the pier. The ship security that was checking IDs to get back on all ran and dove in after her. Fortunately, she was really beat up, but they were able to get her out. The entire time, her husbad (I presume) who watched the whole thing -- and never went in after her -- was shouting, about how he wasn't going to pay to replace the scooter. Not a word about the PERSON riding it.

We saw her around the ship on the way back to NY. She was pretty beat up and had her arm in a sling. I'd imagine his trip back was pretty unpleasant as well.

That was probably 15 years ago and whenever we see someone on a scooter, my family still talks about that guy.

You have me laughing out loud at this one!:D Perhaps the lady was also hard of hearing - when we sailed into Bermuda we were told NOT to ride any scooters and that any crew that was found on one would be immediatley fired.

I can think of two incidents in my years of cruising. Back in the 80's we were on the Norway and everyday at the pool an elderly gentleman would stand up, take off his trunks, dry himself off and get dressed in dry clothes. We all waited for this show every day!

Last year on a Princess ship we sailed with a man who had his segway on board. Mostly, we saw him using it, (especially in the crowded elevators!)but also saw him without it. The biggest hoot we all got was seeing him segwaying across the beach on one of the tour the island excursions. Needless to say, everyone let him go first! :D

These stories are just tooooo funny. I hope this ends up being one of those 400-page threads!:D Sorry I don't have anything to contribute. Maybe after a few more cruises . . . .

Kathy

(My favorite was the lady who was disassembling the lamp!)

These stories are just tooooo funny. I hope this ends up being one of those 400-page threads!:D Sorry I don't have anything to contribute. Maybe after a few more cruises . . . .

Kathy

(My favorite was the lady who was disassembling the lamp!)

So do I! I wish I had something to contribute but it must mean I need to cruise more!! :D

I've only run into your common everyday jack-a! :cool:

On a cruise to Cozumel my daughter witnessed a guy exit the pool at Nachi Cocum wearing a thong which was a bit undersized. Needless to say her expression was priceless as his back end was totally bare and when he turned around his junk squeezed out the sides due to the tight fit of his thong!

On another cruise a couple of very large size were eating pool side laying their plates on their laps as they gorged themselves with both hands. Each platefull was consumed and then a dip in the pool to wash off the food and grease would follow. This was repeated numerous times until security asked they shower off prior to swimming, which prompted them to exit the pool area with a quick stop at the ice cream machine as the crowd cheered their departure! So Gross!

And the drunk guy showing off to his friends by standing on the pool railing to flip into the pool. But he slipped and cracked his head on the edge with blood gushing and screaming. He was stitched up and the pool was drained. He was nicknamed BOB for the rest of the cruise!

We had the "pleasure" of meeting one of the rudest persons we had ever been around a few years ago on Sovereign of the Seas.

At breakfast one morning they seated us with an older lady who began talking loudly about what a horrible time she was having on the cruise. When the waiter came to take our order, she told him her husband was coming and ordered oatmeal and fruit for him. She then ordered cereal for herself saying it was the only thing they couldn't "ruin." When her cereal arrived, she screamed at the waiter, "I don't want milk with my cereal! I want half and half! Cruises are supposed to be decadent! I could have milk at home!" We felt horrible for the waiter who quickly got what she asked for. A little later, her husband arrived. When he saw what she ordered for him, he told her it wasn't what he wanted. She told him loudly "tough, because that's what you get. Get here on time next time." He sat down like a whipped dog looking at us embarrassed. He then looked down as he ate while she continued complaining about everything.

We ate as quickly as we could to get away from her. We felt sorry for her husband. We wondered how many years he had been living like that.

2 years ago we were in Labadee, sitting on a bench and waiting for the tram to come by. Across the path, an older couple (75-80?) stopped to wait for the tram. The husband was wearing a rather short, very bright pair of purple swimming trunks. There was a short retaining wall along the edge of the path, and the husband put his one leg up on it (in a "Captain Morgan" style pose). Well, when he lifted that leg, um, "everything" fell out of his trunks...he seemed to be unaware, as he remained in that pose for as long as I could remain sitting on the bench. After a moment I had to get up and walk away, I was either going to scream or bust out laughing. Not "shocking", but it was an unexpected source of both horror and laughter for years to come.

On that same cruise, I recorded a priceless video of a couple (around age 65?) dancing together perfectly to Tag Team's "Whoomp! (There it is)" :)

We were at breakfast the morning after our day in Rome. The people that joined us at the table had been on a tour of the Vatican the day before, and were chatting amongst themselves about some of the details. It was Dad, Mom and two 18-20 year old daughters.

After a couple of traded bits of information the Dad declared that he just could not believe that the Vatican had to sell the Sistine Chapel to Fuji Film. He then went on to explain that if they were having 25,000 people a day go through the Vatican Museum, and charging 20 Euros each, that meant the Vatican had to be bringing in over $450,000 a day in entrance fees........and he just couldn't understand why they wouldn't have been able to refurbish the Sistine Chapel with the money that they brought in from the admissions.

One of the daughters then brought up that the guide really was teasing when they told them that the hedges were planted in front of some glass panels around the Vatican. The guide had originally said that it was because some chilldren had fallen through the glass, and had not only been hurt, but all of them had actually died.........then, like, you know, she said later that she was just kidding. "I actually believed her" said the 20 year old.....but NO mention of not believing that the Sistine Chapel had been sold.

I hate to say it, but you can't fix dumb! My DW was VERY proud of me for not telling this family that they were STUPID!

They are the ones that give us Americans a bad name in Europe.

Archived