Question about safety stats

LocoLala

I am a first time cruiser, long time worry wart :)

Have been looking around online for some safety statistics for cruise ships and haven't found any yet. Things like ships sinking, passengers being eaten alive by sharks... you know, that kind of thing :D. Anyone know where I can find anything like this?

Hello ... That's an interesting stat. You could probably check the news or there is a site called cruise bruise dot com. But I've never heard of anyone being eaten by sharks. The occasional "man overboard" seems to always have way too much alcohol and drama. Anyway, enjoy your cruise!!

I know that 4.23 cruise passengers are forced to walk the plank each week. I have not seen statistics on how many are then attacked by sharks, but I believe it is a substantial percentage.

Not bad considering almost 200K people cruise each week. I like my chances :cool:

I know that 4.23 cruise passengers are forced to walk the plank each week. I have not seen statistics on how many are then attacked by sharks, but I believe it is a substantial percentage.

Considering that's not near as many as DESERVE to walk the plank...EM

According to what I read. 1.33 million Americans cruised in 2007. Methinks more now. The only ones you hear about are the drunks falling overboard while dancing on the rail or the disgruntled spouse being involved. As far as sinking (my grandson was worried about that regarding our December family cruise), we talked about the Titanic and the Lucitania. I think these were the last ones to sink. Other than that, nothing to worry about. I do agree that bringing 'the plank' back might not be that bad of an idea. Maybe make everyone think the plank is back. Blindfold them, spin em around a bit, make em walk the plank into the swimming pool. Wake up call???:cool:

There was that Louis Cruise ship that sank in Greece a couple of years ago, but they had run aground so the passengers just walked to shore. I am serious!

From Wikipedia:

Disaster struck in April 2007 when the Sea Diamond sunk off Santorini, Greece. All but two of the ship's passengers were safely evacuated, but the sinking resulted in a flurry of negative publicity for Louis

Here's a link to Cruise Critic's own article about cruise safety:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=241

Unless you're planning to sail around Somalia, I wouldn't worry so much! :)

I checked out bruisecruise dot com - BAD IDEA. Just had to force myself to stop reading and close the window. Had no idea how many people went "missing" from cruises.

But you're right: according to what I saw, I'd avoid the Somalia area if I were you. Unless you like pirates. ;)

As far as sinking (my grandson was worried about that regarding our December family cruise), we talked about the Titanic and the Lucitania. I think these were the last ones to sink.

Well, no. The Lusitania probably shouldn't count since it was deliberately torpedoed by a German U-Boat in 1915, but--though rare--accidental sinkings have happened recently through chance or misadventure.

In April 2007 the Greek cruise ship Sea Diamond sank off the island of Santorini, Greece after the vessel hit a volcanic reef, Nearly 1,600 people were retrieved from the sinking ship in a three-hour rescue operation, though two passengers, a 45-year-old man and his 16-year-old daughter died.

In November 2007 the Canadian cruise ship MS Explorer struck submerged ice off Antarctica and began sinking, but all 154 passengers and crew took to lifeboats and were plucked to safety by a passing cruise ship.

Below is a partial list of cruise ship sinkings and accidents since 1980:

Dec. 17, 2000: The Sea Breeze I sinks following engine failure 200 miles east of Cape Charles, Virginia.

Aug. 4, 1991: Luxury Greek liner Oceanos sinks off the coast of South Africa when the engine room floods. The 571 people on board are rescued.

Aug. 31, 1986: The Admiral Nakimov, a Soviet cruise ship carrying 1,234 passengers, collides with a cargo vessel twice its size and sinks into the Black Sea eight miles off the port of Novorossysk. 79 people are killed, 836 are rescued and 319 people are never found.

Feb. 16, 1986: The Soviet cruise ship Mikhail Lermontov sinks in 100 feet of water off the northern tip of New Zealand’s South Island after hitting a reef. One of the 330 crewmembers dies, but the rest of the crew and all 409 passengers, mainly elderly Australians, are evacuated.

Sept. 11, 1982: The Majestic Explorer got stuck on a shoal in Frederick Sound off southeastern Alaska. One woman dies and two are injured during the rescue. The remaining 77 passengers and 21 crew are safely evacuated.

1980: The Holland America liner Prinsendam catches fire during a violent storm and sinks in the Gulf of Alaska.

You missed the Sun Vista (ex Galileo Galilei) that burned and sank in indonesia in 1999 (I think). And I believe Sea Breeze was on her way to the breakers when she sank. EM

You're right. And the Britanis (my first cruise as an adult) also sank on her way to the breakers in 2000. I also missed the Queen of the North ferry that sank in 2006 between Vancouver Island and Prince Rupert, and the Herald of Free Enterprise which capsized in the English Channel in 1987. In fact, if you look at how many ferries sink in the Indonesia/Phillipines area each year, it would seem we're probably safer being shot out of circus cannons than setting foot on ships.

You're right. And the Britanis (my first cruise as an adult) also sank on her way to the breakers in 2000. I also missed the Queen of the North ferry that sank in 2006 between Vancouver Island and Prince Rupert, and the Herald of Free Enterprise which capsized in the English Channel in 1987. In fact, if you look at how many ferries sink in the Indonesia/Phillipines area each year, it would seem we're probably safer being shot out of circus cannons than setting foot on ships.

Sorry I asked! :p

I am a first time cruiser, long time worry wart :)

Have been looking around online for some safety statistics for cruise ships and haven't found any yet. Things like ships sinking, passengers being eaten alive by sharks... you know, that kind of thing :D. Anyone know where I can find anything like this?

Seriously, here is a link to incidents on board ships. It covers different types of incidents as well as noro

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

I believe the above site does have some on- shore incidents but for the most part the incidents on board ships are caused by either suicides or too much drinking.

As far as noro virus, It might be interesting to point out that about 4 thousand people get noro on ships per year as opposed to between 30 and 40 million in the US.

You have more of a chance of getting hit by lighting than you do of being eaten by a shark.

Finally, if you set foot on a cruise ship, one of the things you will notice is how difficult it is to actually fall overboard. You would have to make a concerted effort to do so.

• 1 month later...
You folks have me so scared that I am thinking about canceling my ninth cruise. Had no idea how dangerous it would be for me to take our family of ten on such a dangerous trip. Worry, worry, worry. Harry :cool: PS- we are all on the same airplane too.

Oh don't worry about the cruise or the flight... You have a much greater chance of getting killed in a car accident on the way to the airport. ;)

Archived