Question on port location in Quebec City

I was doing some research as to where the Norwegian Spirit will be docking in Quebec City on October 2 of this year. It appears that the Port of Quebec has it docking at Wharf 103 which seems to be part of the Anse au Foulon Sector in the port area.

Is there any public transportation or shuttle to get you from that area of the port to the downtown or Old Town area of Quebec City? It looks to be quite far away, and I am hoping we don't have to get a cab right off the ship to get to town. The line would be unbelievable! Maybe it's not as far as it looks on the map, but my husband has some mobility issues and I don't want to wear him out before we get into Quebec City's tourism area. Mainly we're interested in Old Town.

Anybody out there that can help me out with this one? Thanks so much.

I googled it, and you are right about the wharf location.

It's a 2 km walk to the Chateau Frotenac, but a bit shorter to lower town. In my experience, cruise lines usually lay on a bus to the old town if they are that far away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1+rue+des+Carrieres,+Quebec+City,+QC+G1R+4P5,+Canada+(Fairmont+Le+Ch%C3%A2teau+Frontenac)&daddr=Rue+Cap+Diamant,+Quebec+City&hl=en&geocode=FVhKygIdeHzB-yHYmf3aCXlJcA%3B&mra=cc&dirflg=w&sll=46.805053,-71.211791&sspn=0.020974,0.055747&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

While you may be tempted to try and walk through that nice park about 200 metres north of the wharf, keep in mind that there's a HUGE CLIFF in the way.

Yes, the cliff! It doesn't really show well in the map, does it.

When we arrived in Quebec City, the cruise line provided shuttle buses (former school buses) to take pax to the city center. Now - I'm not sure if this was the exception or the rule. We landed in QC early due to Hurricane Kyle last year, and spent two days there instead of one. It may have been a courtesy gesture, so I don't know.

Anyway, as stated, it's really not that far but knowing your hubby has mobility issues, I would recommend a cab from the pier. I know you said you wouldn't want to do that, but keep in mind many passengers will be taking excursions and some will walk; the lines may not be as bad as you think.

When you are onboard, perhaps as at the Guest Relations desk if they are going to run courtesy shuttle buses.

Enjoy beautiful Quebec City. It is magnificent!!

As already stated, there are usually shuttle buses for those docking at Anse-au-Foulon. If for some reason there are none, it is also the terminus for the No. 1 city bus, which runs along through Lower Town passed Pointe-à-Carcy.

Thanks everyone for your info; I really do appreciate it. I will definitely check with guest relations on the ship about the shuttle bus. If there is none, I will take a cab or look into the No. 1 City bus. Thanks again!!!

RnGram, as PennyAgain said, I think dock 22 is close to downtown. I am thinking that the Spirit has to compete for dock space the week I'm there, so we didn't get as lucky as you did. No, matter, I am really looking forward to seeing the lovely city of Quebec. Probably the closest I'll ever get to France.:o

Thanks everyone for your info; I really do appreciate it. I will definitely check with guest relations on the ship about the shuttle bus. If there is none, I will take a cab or look into the No. 1 City bus. Thanks again!!!

RnGram, as PennyAgain said, I think dock 22 is close to downtown. I am thinking that the Spirit has to compete for dock space the week I'm there, so we didn't get as lucky as you did. No, matter, I am really looking forward to seeing the lovely city of Quebec. Probably the closest I'll ever get to France.:o

I was looking at the schedule. There are 3 ships in port the day you're in, so yes, space is an issue. While dock 21 is actually free, and so in theory could accommodate the NCL Spirit, I think the issue is that all 3 ships are ending their cruises in QC, so need the extra disembarking space, although to be fair the other 2 are actually overnighting and disembarking the next day. The main Cruise Terminal at Pointe-à-Carcy (which serves both docks 22 and 21) is relatively small, and can only realistically handle one ship turnaround at a time.

Dock 22 is the best dock. This is where you get the fairytale view of Quebec, Château Frontenac and all. Although, as already mentioned, 3 minutes on the No. 1 bus from dock 103 and you're there...:D

I am on the Spirit visiting Quebec on Oct 16. The chart for the Port of Quebec has us docked at dock 22. Any info on that dock?

Why dock 22 is a great location:

IMGP0338.JPG

Unfortunately, to actually get off the ship, you have to take an enclosed walkway toward and past the ship's bow to a rather sterile cruise terminal (although it does put you a little closer to the Farmer's Market).

We are disembarking on the crown Princess on 10/23. We would like to rent a car to drive to Montreal. Does anyone know of any rental car companies that will pick us up at the dock?:)

Unfortunately, to actually get off the ship, you have to take an enclosed walkway toward and past the ship's bow to a rather sterile cruise terminal (although it does put you a little closer to the Farmer's Market).

The gangway used to lead right to dockside, but since they developed the cruise terminal, all passengers go through there. Such a shame.

We are disembarking on the crown Princess on 10/23. We would like to rent a car to drive to Montreal. Does anyone know of any rental car companies that will pick us up at the dock?:)

Don't know of any, but you can catch the free Ecolobus right in front of the dock, and that will take you up Cote du Palais to either the Budget or Hertz office (they're accross the street from each other). As this bus is quite small, I suggest one person stay with the luggage at the terminal and one go on the bus. Alternately, a taxi wouldn't cost much more than $5.

I was looking at the schedule. There are 3 ships in port the day you're in, so yes, space is an issue. While dock 21 is actually free, and so in theory could accommodate the NCL Spirit, I think the issue is that all 3 ships are ending their cruises in QC, so need the extra disembarking space, although to be fair the other 2 are actually overnighting and disembarking the next day. The main Cruise Terminal at Pointe-à-Carcy (which serves both docks 22 and 21) is relatively small, and can only realistically handle one ship turnaround at a time.

Dock 22 is the best dock. This is where you get the fairytale view of Quebec, Château Frontenac and all. Although, as already mentioned, 3 minutes on the No. 1 bus from dock 103 and you're there...:D

Your informative posts are appreciated.

I know where piers 21, 22 and 103 are located but I can't find pier 93. I would expect it to be somewhere between 22 and 103. Can you pinpoint it for me?

We are on the same ship as yours. Originally, we were going to rent a car or minivan and drive it to Montreal. I called Avis, Budget and Enterprise. They are sold out of cars that can be dropped off in Montreal. I guess they only have a limited number available.

I just called Avis again, they confirm that it is sold out but she said to call back in Sep because the company buys new vehicles in Sep and they will likely have some vehicles available. This Avis branch is located near or at Hilton Hotel. Direct # to call is 418-523-1075. Please note that there is a hefty drop-off charge fee.

I hope this helps.

VIA RAIL has Great Savings

Due to popular demand, the offer is extended to Friday, July 31!

Save 60% on travel to all Canadian destinations!

All aboard! Book your trip by July 31, 2009 and save big with VIA Rail. This exceptional offer is applicable for travel completed before December 14, 2009 in Economy, Business or in Touring class onboard the Jasper-Prince Rupert train.

With savings like that, it's hard to say no!

Purchase your ticket now!

Some examples:

From To Economy class Business class

Regular -60% Regular -60%

Québec City

Montréal $71.00 $28.40 $131.00 $52.40

Ottawa $104.00 $41.60 $180.00 $72.00

Toronto $175.00 $70.00 $298.00 $119.20

*Please note that this promotion is not valid for travel in Sleeper and Sleeper Touring classes.

Conditions

Wi-Fi Internet available on board - Economy - regular fare

Québec City-Montréal train

From downtown Québec City to Drummondville, then on to downtown Montréal. Travel in total comfort and ease and forget the hassles of driving and bad weather. This train offers assigned seating in all classes of service (a seat number will be given to you). Departures daily, with some exceptions.

A pay-per-use Internet service is available on all departures between Québec City and Montréal.

Economy class

Economy class offers total comfort at a great price.

Other class available: Travel in the ideal environment for work or play. Choose Business class, which includes a delicious meal, a power outlet for your portable computer, exclusive access to the pre-departure and on-board lounges, and other privileges.

Business class is not offered on some Saturday and Sunday departures.

Carry-on baggage

One piece of carry-on baggage per traveller

Maximum dimensions of carry-on: 66 x 46 x 23 cm (26 x 18 x 9 in)

Maximum weight of carry-on: 23 kg (50 lb)

Thank you for checking all other baggage

If you are planning on taking a connecting train to/in the U.S. with Amtrak, keep in mind that Amtrak limits the number of carry-on baggage to 2 articles per passenger. On certain trains however, you might be allowed to check other articles (to be transported in a baggage car).

Checked baggage

Per traveller:

Free of charge: you can check 4 articles of baggage weighing under 50 lb. (23kg) and measuring less than 120 cm (4 ft) in length.

In excess of this free allowance, you can also check 3 more articles of baggage at a surcharge of $20 plus taxes per article, per train.

Maximum weight and size of each checked baggage: 70 lb. (32 kg) / 180 cm (6 ft), unless they are oversized outdoor equipment (skis and bicycles for instance). Please note that a surcharge of $20 plus taxes will apply per train to all articles weighing between 50 lb and 70 lb (23 kg et 32 kg) or measuring between 120 cm and 180 cm (4 ft and 6 ft). This charge will be added in excess of the surcharge for extra baggage.

Pets are accepted from October 1 to April 30 only. They must be carried in a cage large enough for them to stand. (You will pay a fee ranging between $15 and $50).

Outdoor equipment such as bicycles, skis and golf bags are accepted in Renaissance baggage cars but not canoes and items of a similar size (maximum width: 34 inches). Depending on the type of article, different fees will apply.

Your seat

Spacious seats equipped with a reclining backrest and headrest, and a power outlet.

Other class available: Business class (please note: some weekend departures do not offer this class)

All Economy and Business class cars in southern Ontario and southern Québec have a seat numbering system based on rows.

Row 1 is the first row when entering the car, located near the vestibule and galley.

The last row (18 in Economy and 15 in Business) is near the washroom.

Seats A and D are always window seats, B and C remain aisle seats.

Meals

Light meals, snacks, hot beverages, cold drinks, and alcoholic beverages are available for purchase throughout the trip.

Smoking Policy

This train offers a smoke-free environment.

Your informative posts are appreciated.

I know where piers 21, 22 and 103 are located but I can't find pier 93. I would expect it to be somewhere between 22 and 103. Can you pinpoint it for me?

Dock 93 is actually quite close to dock 22, maybe a 2-minute walk. It's actually the Coast Guard's dock, and so I hate it when ships are docked there as the public isn't allowed into the area :(. However, for cruise ship passengers it's fine, still right in Old Quebec.

Here's a map showing all the docking berths at the Port of Québec:

http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=37

We will be cruising on the Crown Princess Oct. 3rd. How many other cruise ships will be in port that day? We plan on arriving Quebec on the 2nd to have more time to explore.

http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=356

Busy weekend. Four ships on the 2nd, the Crown and Costa Atlantica on the 3rd, and those 2 plus the Queen Victoria on the 4th.

Back in January I had planned to do Carnival's After the Glacier cruise to Quebec, but Carnival later on canceled all their cruises to Quebec for 2009. I then made plans to do the 5 day cruise to Saint John, and Halifax, which I am doing on Labor Day-I figured since I was already on the east coast, I could still see Quebec on my own! So after the cruise, I am flying to Quebec for 3 nites. My question is, since I'm flying in, is there public transit (ie: city buses, shuttles) that could get one into Old Quebec City? (versus taking a cab?) Thanks! Urbanhawk

We are scheduled to be in Quebec Oct 2 on the NCL Spirit. I just checked with the port and it's showing we will be docked at 103. This is a commercial port-anyone know if we can get a cab or is there a shuttle bus. My traveling partner has mobility problems so I'm concerned. Thanks.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Archived