Clothes for children in Egypt

TwoMateys

We are considering a land tour, Nile cruise, resort stay in spring 2010. I have read some older threads about clothing suggestions for men and women and they have been very helpful. My daughter is 10 years old and I wonder if the more strict guidelines apply to young children of this age. It is noted that women should wear capris or longer skirts, and 3/4 to long sleeve shirts. Is this the same for girls or can they still wear shorts, shorter skirts/skorts.

As a second issue...I have read a number of threads that talk about attention to blond women with blue eyes and I wonder if this is also true for children and what kind of attention would this bring to a little girl.

I've been to Egypt on a land tour/Nile cruise and also on a cruise "overnight" in Cairo. (And I'm a blonde with blue eyes.) The short answer is that if it were my daughter, I'd dress her pretty conservatively except on board the Nile cruiser and at your resort (Red Sea?). Otherwise, if you are out and about I would make sure she is modestly covered (e.g., capris, and a t-shirt with short sleeves, not too low cut). If you are visiting a mosque, you'll have to be similarly covered anyway. The people in Cairo were more conservative than other places in Egypt, at least it seemed that way to me.

As to the "blond hair/blue eyes" -- I think you'll find that attention won't be any more overwhelming than for other Westerners, particularly if she is dressed modestly as above. You may hear things from other people about marriage offers being made for young girls (with so many camels being offered...:rolleyes:), but I honestly think this is something shopkeepers say to Western tourists because they think we want to hear it and get a kick out of it. I wouldn't take anything like that too seriously.

(Just like the taxi cab driver in Rome who said he wanted to marry me, y'know?)

Thanks for your comments on the region. It seems that we may be on the M/S Stephanie for the Nile cruise portion and it is a 5 star. Can you tell me what folks tend to wear in the evening for dinner onboard these Nile cruises as compared to the Caribbean cruises which are the only ones that we have gone on.

You might want to check out the Africa & Middle East Forum here on CC. There are some very good contributors there who will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

I'm going in October to Egypt and Jordan - that forum has been very helpful to me.

Thanks for your comments on the region. It seems that we may be on the M/S Stephanie for the Nile cruise portion and it is a 5 star. Can you tell me what folks tend to wear in the evening for dinner onboard these Nile cruises as compared to the Caribbean cruises which are the only ones that we have gone on.

The ship we were on was not very dressy in the evenings. One night was supposed to be an "Egyptian" evening where you can dress up in the gelabiyeh (robes) that most people were buying inexpensively at the various towns/temples where we stopped. However, very few people actually dressed up, so don't feel like it is a "must" (although it was fun for those who did....:)).

A nice pair of lightweight slacks or a skirt would not be out of place. I brought a couple of the Travelsmith-type jersey dresses with me and wore them; one night I wore a black cotton skirt with some wooden beading detail, and I did dress up on Egyptian night.

Archived