Disappointed with upgrade

Kittycatwlv

You have totally missed the point. I don't want or care about an upgrade, I want to be on the same deck as my friends. I took an obstructed ocean view and and asked to be put back from the unobstructed ocean view to be near friends. I asked to be downgraded!!!!!!!!! All I want is to be on the same deck. I was able to bring Princess four new cruisers because of their GTY prices, had i taken a cabin assignment (there were none in their teaser rate HH) they wouldn't have gotten any business at all. You guys are such good cheer leaders but what Princess really needs is someone with business sense to run a business because it is a business after all.

When you want a cabin or location you do NOT book gty. I think that is Booking 101. When you book a gty, you get what you get and don't make a fuss. Seems like you wish to have your cake and eat it too (well what's the point of having a cake....right?). You get the lower rate for a gty, and they have the right to stick you where there is an opening. Now that the chains of loyalty has been broken or at least cracked, go and try other things. You might find Princess is worth it with or without the upgrade or you have cheated yourself out of better cruising experience because of the 'perks'. Go and seek comfort on the decks of others, dine at their table and rest your head upon their bed. Just don't toy with the idea, turn it into the game of new discovery. Me thinks loyalty outside of God, family and country is a mistake followed by booking a gty and want an input on your cabin assignment. You are an Elite member with a company yet you think it no business sense. It seems everyone is an expert on how a multi-million dollar corporation should operate at one point or the other. Where was all this business sense when the stock market was plummeting and the economy sinking?

Boy, not a good comparison at all. I wanted to be on the same deck, not next door to eachother. Some people are so blinded by their loyalty to Princess they can't see the forest for the trees. I don't care about upgrades at all, just staying on the same deck. If princess cares so little about their customers it's time to find a company that does. I gave up my ocean view to be put back into the GTY pool to go back to an obstructed ocean view so how you guys can go on about my being ungratful for an upgrade is a lack of understanding. I took the GTY because no cabins were available in the HH category and that low rate resulted in my getting four people to try a cruise they wouldn't have otherwise booked so Princess has an opportunity to win all around.

I am guessing you are so angry about this right now that you just aren't seeing straight (guessing only). So, let's skip the upgrade thing here and go right to the problem.

When booking three guarantee staterooms, in any category, you are NEVER guaranteed that they will be close together , not even on the same deck. And that is what this boils down to.

I understand that a guarantee is all you could book to get your 'special pricing', but with it come some pitfalls. One is not being able to choose the cabin or even the deck that all three staterooms will end up being assigned on. Your friends actually got very lucky with their staterooms being close together, they should purchase a lottery ticket. ;) That is part of booking a guarantee. Your booking with Princess does not have places to make 'requests' such as all be on the same deck, or all staterooms next to each other, it just doesn't happen this way with guarantees.

Again, from reading what you have posted, you feel since you are Elite in the captain's circle, they should treat you special and re-assign the staterooms so you are all close to each other? It just isnt' going to happen, sorry. You have a few choices here. Cancel and go with one of the other cruise lines. Pay the difference and upgrade yourself closer to your friends. See if your friends will agree to a downgrade to be close to you (probably the least likely of all the ideas). Or just stay angry and ruin yours and your friends first cruise with Princess.

You made a mistake by thinking you could request something with a guarantee, just go from there. We all make mistakes, but being Elite with Princess is not going to get you any special treatment when it comes to cabin assignments and guarantees.

Whatever decision you make, I hope it is more to your liking.

I agree with the other posters. Booking a guarantee entitles you to NO conditions. Since you have not reached final payment, go to the Princess site and see what cabins are availabe on the same deck as your friends and change your reservation. I also do not agree that deck 5 is an inferior deck, especially for an outside cabin. It is nonobstructed and close to the water where you can see and hear the oceanspray and waves. Delightful!

I'm just curious-do the other cruise lines let you pick and choose your location/decks if you book a GTY? I always understood I wouldn't have any choice in my location with a GTY not even what deck.

Yes RCL will allow you to switch cabins on a GTY if you stay in the same category. Their policy will work better for my situation so I will make three reservations with them and keep my Princess reservation and see which one better serves my needs because it's MY NEEDS that matter. Some of you people don't understand that a business needs to keep their customers happy too. And for the record for those of you who choose not to read thouroughly I DO NOT WANT or care about an upgrade, I turned it back in.

Yes RCL will allow you to switch cabins on a GTY if you stay in the same category. Their policy will work better for my situation so I will make three reservations with them and keep my Princess reservation and see which one better serves my needs because it's MY NEEDS that matter. Some of you people don't understand that a business needs to keep their customers happy too. And for the record for those of you who choose not to read thouroughly I DO NOT WANT or care about an upgrade, I turned it back in.

Switching staterooms within the same category you are assigned with a guarantee if there are other stateroom available in the same category? Princess will also to do that, we have done it many times. :confused:

Okay, any upgrade should be good right? I booked three cabins (GTY) on the Sapphire one for myself and two for two other couples new to cruising. I got the $25 preferral do Princess knows they are new, and I am Elite. Yesterday I got notified of our cabins. My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh it's also way before final payment so I'm toying with the idea of cancelling altogether and booking with a rival cruise since loyalty is a one way street for Princess.
What about GTY do you not understand??

Switching staterooms within the same category you are assigned with a guarantee? Princess will also to do that, we have done it many times. :confused:

They wouldn't for me. My friends are happy to downgrade to be on the same deck. They don't care if I cancel and go to RCL, one couple never cruised before and left things to me.

The point that is missed here is the lack of customer service. Most business' want your business and want to make you happy especially when there is no cost to them. 500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual.

I think you are very lucky that you can afford to cruise so many times with being elite with several cruise lines.You get all the added perks and cruises that we lesser mortals can only dream of having and may never have.

I think you should book the other line if you get the same price and better service...if however you have to pay more on the other line and so will your friends just so you can be next to them, seems a bit selfish to them to have to switch because you didn't get what you wanted.

i read a lot of posts and don't respond because most people are already saying what i'm thinking

i'm still missing why this is a customer service issue...i'm a loyal princess customer and they must not appreciate me because there is no window in my inside cabin--just because i paid for the lowest category doesn't mean i should get what i asked for!

500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual.

They probably felt you had been sufficiently answered by those who have already posted. I've found there's little sense in posting my opinion when it merely reiterates the opinions of the 20 folks who already posted.

(From one who read before but didn't respond....:cool:)

They wouldn't for me. My friends are happy to downgrade to be on the same deck. They don't care if I cancel and go to RCL, one couple never cruised before and left things to me.

The point that is missed here is the lack of customer service. Most business' want your business and want to make you happy especially when there is no cost to them. 500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual.

You need to switch your booking over to a TA since it's before final payment. We have always been able to switch staterooms within the category we booked or were assigned with a guarantee, if there are any available, but have never booked direct with Princess. (not willing to pay more for a cruise booking direct when I can get discount pricing through a TA. I am surprised with all your Princess crusies that you haven't found that out, as Princess doesn't discount pricing but allows TA's to still discount, unlike RCI).

No offense, but something just doesn't sound right here. :confused::confused:

I think you should book the other line if you get the same price and better service...if however you have to pay more on the other line and so will your friends just so you can be next to them, seems a bit selfish to them to have to switch because you didn't get what you wanted.

i read a lot of posts and don't respond because most people are already saying what i'm thinking

i'm still missing why this is a customer service issue...i'm a loyal princess customer and they must not appreciate me because there is no window in my inside cabin--just because i paid for the lowest category doesn't mean i should get what i asked for!

I haven't posted for this very reason. I couldn't think of anything else to add. I understand what everyone else is explaining perfectly.

Okay, any upgrade should be good right? I booked three cabins (GTY) on the Sapphire one for myself and two for two other couples new to cruising. I got the $25 preferral do Princess knows they are new, and I am Elite. Yesterday I got notified of our cabins. My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh it's also way before final payment so I'm toying with the idea of cancelling altogether and booking with a rival cruise since loyalty is a one way street for Princess.

And for the record for those of you who choose not to read thouroughly I DO NOT WANT or care about an upgrade, I turned it back in.

500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual.

:confused: about the first 2 posts. As for the last I do agree. This board often gives the cruise line the pass and individuals with issues the doubt. In this case I think many have a clear understanding of gty. You take what is assigned and the rest is at their mercy. Princess takes pleasure in leaving the rules up to interpretation so the devoted can stay busy defending or quoting guidelines Princess ignores. However they have an easy job on this one. It's pretty clear so if you are not happy save the loyalty for where it matters most and check out other lines.

Just talked to B.I.L who works for Princess.

They will USUALLY ( Not always) upgrade first timers ( if they know to be true). They want a good first impression, and this usually means those first timers will become SECOND timers. As for you being elite, he said try callling and just ask, but don't expcect anything. Being an elite they figure you have been on enough cruises they can give a "perk" in a different way if at all.

Also I can understand you being dissapointed, but why would you cancel? Would you leave your friends who have never crusied fend for themselves and figure out what to do on their own? With you being a elite member you should know all the details of the ship. If you cancel will the first timers cancel too?

Are you trying to make a point?

In no way do I want to be disrespectful but, Becasue you didn't get what you wanted at say a grocery store after shopping there for 15 years, are you going to "dump" them?

And if I was Princess in NO way would I want to lose you as a customer, but I would also look at this way. ( I lose a elite member, but possibly GAIN TWO new members who may or may not become Elite as well)

LAST thing:

YOU could have asked at the time of booking to BE EXACTLY next to your friends. Would be easy especally since you would probably ""DOWNGRADE" to a floor or two below.

I hope you decide to stay booked and enjoy your crusie. BESIDES YOUR ON VACATION, how much time are you in your room anyway?

Tim

They probably felt you had been sufficiently answered by those who have already posted. I've found there's little sense in posting my opinion when it merely reiterates the opinions of the 20 folks who already posted.

(From one who read before but didn't respond....:cool:)

Same here...but I don't really think the OP is really accepting anyone else's opinions that don't agree with theirs.....

Same here...but I don't really think the OP is really accepting anyone else's opinions that don't agree with theirs.....

AMEN!

I am sure she was a little hurt/dissapointed but HOPE she ends up going on her trip.

And I don't beleive us posters were favoring Princess. TRUST ME I have a family member who works pretty high up and I still give my opinion to him if I think something needs to be said.

Are you implying that the only "loyal" cruisers are those that cruise exclusively with one cruise line?? Ridiculous! I think Princess appreciates people with 300 days on their cruise line regardless of whether they also have 400 days on other cruise lines or not. This is a business, not a marriage...it's not a case of cheating once and never being forgiven.

If what you believe is true, I guess I'd rather be a "smart" cruiser, and take the cruises I want to take regardless of cruise line, than a loyal cruiser any day.

I don't know what Princess wants or appreciates. It's not my business.

But we do know in this business that many Guarantee bookings are made by those who cannot really afford to be on a cruise and are hoping to get something for nothing.

This OP does get something, doesn't like it, and then threatens to defect and purchase the cheapest cabins at another cruise line.

What's the old adage about looking a gift horse in the mouth?

If you owned a large business, would you want to cater to the bottom feeders who are loyal to you only so long as they get the lowest possible price - and then defect to your competitors the minute they don't?

OK, since you brought it up. I read this thread, didn't reply before, am now doing so, and think you are being totally unreasonable. Being elite you knew full well the GTY game and now want something special because it is YOUR NEEDS. If you want rooms together, book them that way and tell the cruise line do not upgrade (wait you knew that too, being elite). Guess you think that whining will get you what you want.....sorry it doesn't work that way (and shouldn't). Enjoy your other cruise line and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Now aren't you happy I responded?:D:D:D:D:D

Just talked to B.I.L who works for Princess.

They will USUALLY ( Not always) upgrade first timers ( if they know to be true). They want a good first impression, and this usually means those first timers will become SECOND timers. As for you being elite, he said try callling and just ask, but don't expcect anything. Being an elite they figure you have been on enough cruises they can give a "perk" in a different way if at all.

Also I can understand you being dissapointed, but why would you cancel? Would you leave your friends who have never crusied fend for themselves and figure out what to do on their own? With you being a elite member you should know all the details of the ship. If you cancel will the first timers cancel too?

Are you trying to make a point?

In no way do I want to be disrespectful but, Becasue you didn't get what you wanted at say a grocery store after shopping there for 15 years, are you going to "dump" them? Not even a reasonable comparsion.

And if I was Princess in NO way would I want to lose you as a customer, but I would also look at this way. ( I lose a elite member, but possibly GAIN TWO new members who may or may not become Elite as well)Not a chance since we all cancel and move else where.

LAST thing:

YOU could have asked at the time of booking to BE EXACTLY next to your friends. Would be easy especally since you would probably ""DOWNGRADE" to a floor or two below.Please read before answering. I asked to be downgraded and turned back the upgrade already. I never asked to be excatly next door only on the same deck. It's not about an upgrade, it's being on the same deck.

I hope you decide to stay booked and enjoy your crusie. BESIDES YOUR ON VACATION, how much time are you in your room anyway? When I'm in my cabin I want to enjoy it that's why I never book an interior cabin.

Tim

It's really quite simple to me, if i don't get what I feel is fair I'll take my $$$ else where. It's a shame people are so defensive of a business, someday you'll want something some where that doesn't cost anything and would be good customer relations and maybe then gain some empathy.

The OP says it's "MY NEEDS" that matters. Somehow I think the several deck apart issue wouldn't be an issue if Princess offered the OP a suite on deck 11 while leaving the newbies down on deck 8.

I hope the OP does cancel, and I hope the friends decide not to go with them on the other cruise because they realized what a selfish jealous whiner the OP is. I'd be happy for my first time friends to get a better cabin than they thought they would, and who cares how close their cabin is to mine since we will be meeting by the pool or elsewhere. When we had a group of 8 and our cabins were in the same area on deck 12, we stopped at one of their cabins once all week, and the other 3 never went to each others' cabins. They have that little gadget on the deck by the bed called a telephone, and it calls other cabins for free.

Maybe I'm trying to lemonade out of lemons here but....I have cruised on Disney many times we always cruise with another couple and their children. Since they have to take 2 staterooms, and I always take a Veranda (mini-suite on princess)room, we are always on different sides of the ship. We make plans to meet for breakfast (i.e. 9:00am outside the buffet) then we are together most of the day, or we meet (outside the theater)for dinner and hangout the rest of the night. Or meet at bingo at 4:00. etc. Before we turn in we make plans for the next morning. It really isn't that much of an inconvenience, just requires you to think things out a little. Now bad weather on cruise THAT is problem! Someone gets sick THAT is a problem.

I think trying to keep things in perpective is important....just my opinion

But we do know in this business that many Guarantee bookings are made by those who cannot really afford to be on a cruise and are hoping to get something for nothing.

I don't know who WE are but I do guarantee booking because it's available.

I do it because I would rather use the extra money for extra tip

I do it because it makes it possible to cruise before I am old and cold and the kids are grown.

I do it because it make economic sense and I don't intent to spend time in the room so paying more is not necessary.

I have never taken a vacation I couldn't afford. I book gty not because I can't afford to cruise but because it makes cruising affordable. Maybe in time 'WE' can tell the difference. I guess WE don't know as much as THEY...do WE? I am willing to bet many do it for the same reason as I

I'm getting this mental image of a 2 or 3 yr old throwing a temper tantrum....:eek:

To the OP:

What you got was fair and I think that you know that. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this thread. I was reading it, but didn't reply initially because it seemed pointless. You just want to have your tantrum regardless of what the facts are or what anyone has to say. But since you implied that those of us reading and not responding were cowards, I decided to respond just so you know that you are completely wrong in that regard.

....:eek:

. But since you implied that those of us reading and not responding were cowards, I decided to respond just so you know that you are completely wrong in that regard.

If only you could read, I never used the word coward, not even once. To other posters who said be grateful i can cruise several times a year I reply, If I'm smart enough to make my business work why should I feel bad?

Archived