How Well Do They Clean the Rooms Before Each Embarkation?

tjeanty

I can't believe that you would even question if the sheets and pillow cases are changed.

Of course they are!!!!

Any hotel, and a cruise is a floating hotel, HAS to change the sheets between clients.

Just out of curiosity, were you on Housewives of NJ? :D:D

Also, Take me Away

Do you clean the cabin every time the cabin steward comes in the room?

Keep in mind, he has just cleaned the room before you

and God only knows what that room had in it.

Oh no no no...we're talking seriously anal here. :cool:

This is one of those amusing popcorn threads where OCD Stepford housewives board the ship

with Lysol wipes, half-gallon containers of Clorox,

maybe even a power washer, dude.

You have no idea how bad this gets! :cool:

Just keep following this thread...you'll see!

I advise such paranoid people to consider wiping down the walls and the ceilings too.

Don't forget the little red-handled knob on the air-con control.

You don't know whose disgusting husband touched that, after...

Balcony rails too...ppl may have been doing "wink-wink" out there

so that involves the chairs too

and goodness knows what spilled on the balcony deck!! Eeeuuwww! :eek:

This is really serious,man.

You have to do a NUMBER on the ENTIRE ROOM, all four walls, the carpet, and the ceiling.

Then we come to the bathroom -you don't want to know what went on in there!

I'm telling you, it's bad.

Don't touch those hot and cold water controls before wiping them down with Lysol at the very least

and if I were you, I'd go with neat Clorox, full strength.

You never can tell.

No germs for me -they scare the hell outa me.

And again I ask...

What has you so scared of germs?

Germs are part of life..duuhh

I have read some posts where people have found some pretty nasty things under the bed and in the drawers. Guess it depends on your room steward.

Yes like a toenail collection, chewed sunflower seeds, curly black hairs and toothpaste clumps...none of which belonged to us :) It most certainly depends on the steward and his/her attention to detail~

Oh no no no...we're talking seriously anal here. :cool:

This is one of those amusing popcorn threads where OCD Stepford housewives board the ship

with Lysol wipes, half-gallon containers of Clorox,

maybe even a power washer, dude.

You have no idea how bad this gets! :cool:

Just keep following this thread...you'll see!

I advise such paranoid people to consider wiping down the walls and the ceilings too.

Don't forget the little red-handled knob on the air-con control.

You don't know whose disgusting husband touched that, after...

Balcony rails too...ppl may have been doing "wink-wink" out there

so that involves the chairs too

and goodness knows what spilled on the balcony deck!! Eeeuuwww! :eek:

This is really serious,man.

You have to do a NUMBER on the ENTIRE ROOM, all four walls, the carpet, and the ceiling.

Then we come to the bathroom -you don't want to know what went on in there!

I'm telling you, it's bad.

Don't touch those hot and cold water controls before wiping them down with Lysol at the very least

and if I were you, I'd go with neat Clorox, full strength.

You never can tell.

No germs for me -they scare the hell outa me.

And again I ask...

What has you so scared of germs?

Germs are part of life..duuhh

Thanks for the tips and to answer your final question...a terminally ill child in the family, thanks for inquiring ;)

Well let me say that I travel a lot on normal hotels for work and pleasure. When

we do so we stay at nicer hotels and I have more complaints about how the

rooms are cleaned or not cleaned. I notice these things traveling so much.

Having traveled on Carnival cruises on 10 different ships I never have had a

problem on the cleanness of a room, EVERY, I watch for the signs and there

simply not there on the ship.

I would not worry over something like this.

While I certainly don't want to sleep on used sheets, a little common sense is in order here.

Lysoling the bed??? :confused: I'll take my chances with a few germs over inhaling the chemicals in the Lysol or having it absorb into my skin while I sleep. :eek: Germ exposure is what keeps your immune system healthy and our over-zealous anti-bacterial everything is leading to more and more "superbugs" that nothing can kill.

Basic cleanliness with soap and water go a long way - no need to overdo.

I definitely agree with you here. Many people are anal about cleanliness, but there really is nothing totally clean. It's just good that the naked eye cannot see what really lies out there; it would freak you out. I do expect them to change the bedding as much as possible, and clean the cabin within reason. They only have so much time to get ready for the next guests, so one can't expect every square inch to be cleaned.

I use anti-bacterials on occasion if soap and water are not available; otherwise I use the latter. I have read that with the "Norovirus", anti-bacterials are not that effective. Soap and water works much better because the water actually washes the "germs" away and anti-bacterials just "smoosh" them around when you rub your hands with it.

Do what you must tho to enjoy your cruise everyone!!

I am a facilities manager which basically means part of my job is to manage a large group of people who clean public buildings. I inspect all kinds of rooms every day.I started in this business as head housekeeper for a hotel. In 30 years I've seen it all. Luckily right now I have a great staff, but over the years I have caught employees taking little short cuts that were just plain wrong. I always throw a pk of paper cups in my suitcase and I never use the glasses in a hotel room or a cruise ship room. Do I think the glasses in hotels and cruise ship rooms are clean?...in 95 % of cases I'd say yes, but I don't want to be drinking out of one of the 5% that the room steward quickly swished out and dried, probably with a dirty towel. I have a lot of respect for people who clean for a living and most take a lot of pride in their work, but your bound to have a few staff who are looking for short cuts. With money being such an issue these days even the best workers on cruise lines have had their work load increased and they too look for short cuts. I even hesitate to use an ice bucket in a hotel without a fresh plastic bag liner. You have no idea what the last hotel guest used that bucket for....it could have been a temporary water bowl for rover! LOL BTW, the dirtiest cruise ship cabin I've ever been in (and I inspect them like I would at work ) was on our very 1st cruise and the cruise line was Disney! One quick phone call and everything was corrected. I've been on DCL many times since and never had a problem I'm glad to say.

No I don't clean every time he comes in, did I say that? I do however wipe things down and the cloths in fact are dirty on items that I am sure get overlooked. On our last cruise our cabin was anything but clean, there was a pile of toenail clippings in a corner, lots of black hairs in the bathroom and on the counters, toothpaste on the floor and on the sink and sunflower seeds all over. I am not doubting that the stewards clean however I have seen good and bad cleaning jobs in my past cruises. I am sure they change the sheets and towels however I choose to not use the comforters its just a personal decision. The stewards are so busy and I am quite sure under a lot pressure therefore things can and will get missed. I don't think my wiping is really affecting anyone :) I go through a large container of Clorox Wipes every week in my house and one in the Pediatric office I work in, we have a daily cleaner at my work who misses things all the time, I do what makes me happy and works for me and maybe base housing in the past has made me the way I am :eek:

I am definitely not ANAL about germs or any of that stuff. I agree with the people tha said that we need exposure to germs to help build immunity, blah, blah, blah. Not a big fan of the hand sanitizer that people have become obsessed with. I don't get sick very often and neither do my kids. I just assume that hotel rooms and cruise cabins are adequately cleaned.

HOWEVER, if I found that gross stuff in my room when I arrived, I would certainly NOT be doing any clean-up myself! I would be on the phone complaining to someone. That's just nasty. You would clean up someone else's toenail clippings or little black hairs? Like I said, I assume the room is clean, but if that type of yucky stuff is in plain sight..........ewwwww. I'm not touching it!!!

I am definitely not ANAL about germs or any of that stuff. I agree with the people tha said that we need exposure to germs to help build immunity, blah, blah, blah. Not a big fan of the hand sanitizer that people have become obsessed with. I don't get sick very often and neither do my kids. I just assume that hotel rooms and cruise cabins are adequately cleaned.

HOWEVER, if I found that gross stuff in my room when I arrived, I would certainly NOT be doing any clean-up myself! I would be on the phone complaining to someone. That's just nasty. You would clean up someone else's toenail clippings or little black hairs? Like I said, I assume the room is clean, but if that type of yucky stuff is in plain sight..........ewwwww. I'm not touching it!!!

I never said I picked them up did I :rolleyes:

I am obviously in the minority here and that is ok, in the eight years I have been on CC this topic comes up every few months and I have always had the same thoughts and don't see myself changing in the near future it may not work for others but it works for me :) Happy cruising everyone~

While I certainly don't want to sleep on used sheets, a little common sense is in order here.

Lysoling the bed??? :confused: I'll take my chances with a few germs over inhaling the chemicals in the Lysol or having it absorb into my skin while I sleep. :eek: Germ exposure is what keeps your immune system healthy and our over-zealous anti-bacterial everything is leading to more and more "superbugs" that nothing can kill.

Totally agree. And I don't think the scent of Lysol would help me get "in the mood."

I never said I picked them up did I :rolleyes:

Whew.....thank goodness!!! I'll tell ya, that description of what was in the room really "skeeved" me - and I'm actually pretty hard to "skeeve!" :) I just can't imagine how someone who is anal about cleanliness would react to something like that. Not a nice way to start a vacation!

Whew.....thank goodness!!! I'll tell ya, that description of what was in the room really "skeeved" me - and I'm actually pretty hard to "skeeve!" :) I just can't imagine how someone who is anal about cleanliness would react to something like that. Not a nice way to start a vacation!

I picked up the phone, yep the one I wiped off and called the front desk :)

Thank you!:D

I don't bring a can of lysol with me because that would be such a clue that I was totally anal about the germ, icky thing. I do however bring one of those neck pillows to use on the plane so my head wont touch the back of the seat too much.You don't know what kind of greasy head was there 20 minutes ago. On the ship and even in any hotel I always bring my own blanket. Once in my room the comforter or covering is removed. I will not even sit on it. I do not beleive these are changed ever or at least not every time they have a new guest. I also bring my own pillow. My blanket will go on the sheet and then once in bed will be folded over on me. If I get cold I will then put there cover on top of mine making sure it will not touch me. OMG I can not believe how this sounds but my sister in law worked in a nice hotel at one time...:eek::eek::eek: you would not believe...made me stay home for years:eek:

What really freaked me out

was when I read that scientists (micro-biologists)

have discovered that our human bodies unwittingly play host to millions and billions of heeby-jeebies

including some sorta dust-mites who live out their entire lives

with families babies, nests, cars and whole cities

deep in the folicles of our eyelashes.

Eeeuuwww! how sick is that? :eek:

............Germs make cheese...........and yoghurt!...........

No, I don't Lysol the sheets!

Just stuff like toilet flush button, faucets, door knobs, remote, phone, etc.

And the citrus scent Lysol is very pleasant. I didn't really notice it as a "smell" until I was home a week after my cruise and I sprayed some.

Mmmmm.......cruise smell................

HOWEVER, if I found that gross stuff in my room when I arrived,

I would certainly NOT be doing any clean-up myself!

I would be on the phone complaining to someone. That's just nasty.

You would clean up someone else's toenail clippings or little black hairs?

Like I said, I assume the room is clean, but if that type of yucky stuff is in plain sight...ewwwww.

I'm not touching it!!!

That I entirely agree with.

That is normal,logical, "non-anal" response.

Obviously that room had not been cleaned since Last Occupant,

and I would've moved back out, found the cabin steward responsible

(no wasting time with a phone call)

- taken him/her in there, showed him all the dirt

and asked him/her to clean my cabin, please.

Otherwise, every one of our five cabins have been clean and ready

and I've asked my wife about this(she's the clean-freak around here)

and she's not worried and and never was, in any of our five cabins. :cool:

But then she doesn't enjoy being afraid of stuff.

She's just weird like that,sorry..

I'm anal as well about a clean sanitized room. I always put in a can of Lysol and the first thing we do is Lysol down everything that anyone could put their hands on. I also pull up the bed sheets in the corners and check for bed bugs. Some of the swankiest hotels in New York city have been infested with them (do a google). Amazingly with my good immune system, I've never gotten sick on a cruise.

That I entirely agree with.

That is normal,logical, "non-anal" response.

Obviously that room had not been cleaned since Last Occupant,

and I would've moved back out, found the cabin steward responsible

(no wasting time with a phone call)

- taken him/her in there, showed him all the dirt

and asked him/her to clean my cabin, please.

Otherwise, every one of our five cabins have been clean and ready

and I've asked my wife about this(she's the clean-freak around here)

and she's not worried and and never was, in any of our five cabins. :cool:

But then she doesn't enjoy being afraid of stuff.

She's just weird like that,sorry..

I love when people think they know the situation.....

Actually it was 3pm and the cabin according to our steward was ready to go, if he had been in the hallway I would have called him back when the extras were discovered but he wasn't so we used the phone :)

I am so thrilled for you that your 5 cabins have been clean and ready, lucky you. You are always so pleasant on the boards, maybe some day I will be lucky enough to cruise with you :rolleyes: Signed Mrs Anal

I bring Purell wipes, they contain about 65% ethanol. Ethanol is what we use at work in our biological labs (at 70%) for disinfection (not to be confused with sterilization)

Hey...can't be too safe.....I wipe off the remote control first...before the DH gets hold of it :D

Call me crazy ......but having access to microscopes.....you see what's out there :eek:

But go ahead and build up that immunity....not me

No I don't clean every time he comes in, did I say that? I do however wipe things down and the cloths in fact are dirty on items that I am sure get overlooked. On our last cruise our cabin was anything but clean, there was a pile of toenail clippings in a corner, lots of black hairs in the bathroom and on the counters, toothpaste on the floor and on the sink and sunflower seeds all over. I am not doubting that the stewards clean however I have seen good and bad cleaning jobs in my past cruises. I am sure they change the sheets and towels however I choose to not use the comforters its just a personal decision. The stewards are so busy and I am quite sure under a lot pressure therefore things can and will get missed. I don't think my wiping is really affecting anyone :) I go through a large container of Clorox Wipes every week in my house and one in the Pediatric office I work in, we have a daily cleaner at my work who misses things all the time, I do what makes me happy and works for me and maybe base housing in the past has made me the way I am :eek:

I have a phobia of germs, which some would say I take a little too far sometimes but thats just me. It doesn't affect or hurt anyone so I don't see a problem with it. Disinfectant wipes are my best friend and I have them everywhere in my house, vehicles and office.

Hi All,

I don't know why I am worrying about this now, as this is my third cruise. But how well does the staff clean the rooms? Are the comforters changed? Pillow cases? I'm so anal when it comes to cleansiness, and I have watched a lot of news specials about hotel rooms and how they say they clean and change the sheets, when in actuality, they really don't. I think I may pack a can of Lysol to spray over the bed just in case...

Oh we do EVERY cruise. I spray everything and leave a note for the room steward to please change sheets upon our first night.

I believe cruise ships are way cleaner than the average hotel. I was very impressed with how well everything was cleaned onboard. I never found a speck of dust anywhere [not that I was looking], The stewards on the Legend wore gloves and were constantly wiping surfaces.

Everything is spic and span:)

No matter how well they clean the cabin, someone will complain if they see a finger nail under the bed, or a string of hair on the bathroom floor, or a carpet stain that didn't come up... Nobody is perfect...

Then there are those who have to have a clean towel after every bath and clean sheets every morning..... Environmental wackos....using so much detergent runining our environment as quickly as possible.... One wonders whether these people ever wanted clean clear water?

Archived