How much time should we allow for arrival at FCO until arrival at our hotel in Rome?

Kay240

We are due to fly in at 8:45 AM on US Airways from Philadelphia. I would like to make RESERVATIONS at the Borghese Museum for that afternoon.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: If I allow 2 hours for the plane to be late, 2 hours for the luggage to s-l-o-w-l-y show up, and one hour for our (private) car to take us to our hotel (near the museum), would a 3:00 reservation be a "sure thing", or risky?

THANKS!!

Karen

I would also call and make the reservation only and not pre-pay. That way you aren't out anything if something really awful happens and you run really late. Our worst flight to date arrived 24 hours late. That's only happened to us once though.

We were supposed to arrive at 7:45 a.m. this past May 3rd.

Arrived at almost 4 p.m. Missed our whole day precruise in Rome. Luckily we had a day post cruise too.

We had "mechanical problems" in Houston which made us miss our connections in Newark which made us have to take different flights that included stopping and changing airlines in Paris (which wasnt in the original plan).......

be flexible...... nuttin' you can do about it anyway :D

We are due to fly in at 8:45 AM on US Airways from Philadelphia. I would like to make RESERVATIONS at the Borghese Museum for that afternoon.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: If I allow 2 hours for the plane to be late, 2 hours for the luggage to s-l-o-w-l-y show up, and one hour for our (private) car to take us to our hotel (near the museum), would a 3:00 reservation be a "sure thing", or risky?

THANKS!!

Karen

Given these parameters, I'd go for it. I think that the odds are in your favor.

In case you are thinking of changing your reservation to the next morning, Villa Borghese offers guided tours (5E per person) on certain days of the week in the mornings. We took a guided tour and felt it was outstanding. Perhaps they have them available in the afternoons now.

If you can't arrange a guided tour, the more you can read about some of the incredible sculptures the more you will appreciate them especially Bernini's works.

Your timelines seem more than ample.

Have a wonderful time.

Kathy:)

Kay240:

Philadelphia is our departure city and we have flown this USAir non-stop to Rome many times. We have never had a delay and have sometimes even arrived a little early. Baggage retrieval may take 20-30 minutes and allow at least an hour to reach your hotel. You should have no problem making an afternoon tour reservation.

We are due to fly in at 8:45 AM on US Airways from Philadelphia.

This was our exact flight last year, USAir, Philly to Rome and we arrived at 8:50. I looked at my journal and we took the 9:35 train, Leonardo Express to Termini, walked about 5 blocks to our hotel, checked in and changed clothes and were on the street to start walking at 11:30.

Unless you have a MAJOR delay you should have plenty of time.

Easy, peasy!

BTW, my tip (courtesy of Rick Steves) for your two-hour visit to the Borghese: go to the second floor galleries first, because all the crowds will proceed in room order. Then after 30 or 40 minutes, go downstairs and start touring at the beginnin.

We visited just one month ago, and we felt like we had the place almost all to ourselves. (Perhaps 20 out of the, I think, 200 permitted entrance every two hours did this route.)

Enjoy wonderful Rome; our five days there last month post-cruise were utterly magical.

Archived