Acceptable Hat

hoopman

A baseball cap is OK, best if it has an extended bill. I get by with that most of the time, but I have long hair that covers my ears and neck.

But, even better is a lightweight hat that has a wide enough brim to also give your neck some coverage. All the better if it has some sort of sweatband running around the inside. (I believe a golf hat might fit that description.)

Both the bill of my baseball cap and the brim of my hat are lined in dark green- that really helps with sun reflection.

Be sure to cover all exposed skin with a good sunscreen, and to carry extra with you to reapply every hour or so. The summer Mediterranean sun can be brutal.

And- VERY important (I can't stress this enough!)- make sure you drink water all the time! Always have a bottle of water in your hand, and every 5 or 10 minutes take a sip- even if you aren't thirsty. Keeping hydrated is the only way to avoid dehydration.

Here in Israel, every one knows not to leave home without a bottle of water. We're also very sensitive to tourists we see who appear in distress, or on the verge of it, and will put a bottle of water in their hands and urge them to drink.

HTH, and have a great trip!

A baseball cap is OK, best if it has an extended bill. I get by with that most of the time, but I have long hair that covers my ears and neck.

But, even better is a lightweight hat that has a wide enough brim to also give your neck some coverage. All the better if it has some sort of sweatband running around the inside. (I believe a golf hat might fit that description.)

Both the bill of my baseball cap and the brim of my hat are lined in dark green- that really helps with sun reflection.

Be sure to cover all exposed skin with a good sunscreen, and to carry extra with you to reapply every hour or so. The summer Mediterranean sun can be brutal.

And- VERY important (I can't stress this enough!)- make sure you drink water all the time! Always have a bottle of water in your hand, and every 5 or 10 minutes take a sip- even if you aren't thirsty. Keeping hydrated is the only way to avoid dehydration.

Here in Israel, every one knows not to leave home without a bottle of water. We're also very sensitive to tourists we see who appear in distress, or on the verge of it, and will put a bottle of water in their hands and urge them to drink.

HTH, and have a great trip!

Great tips, I have several caps that should work as long as I am not perceived as the ugly American.

While on our last trip ( just 2 months ago) we purchased a really cool Panama hat for dh in Mykonos. White with black band.

What was REALLY nice was I could pick him out of any crowd (there was a BIG crowd on the Acropolis !!) very easily. He got lots of compliments on it too. :D

Archived