Might have to cancel

schecter

Hi Guys,

My partner and I are booked on the Gem for next april (NYC-Bahamas). She doesn't know its all a surprise as I am planning on proposing to her on it ( 6 yrs together so it's about time). The thing is I just lost my job about 2 weeks ago due to redundancy and I'm finding it near impossible to find another job ( I live in Ireland the job situation over here is just nuts its that bad). If I don't find another job soon then I'll have to cancel the cruise. I was just wondering if anyone knew how late you can leave to cancel a NCL cruise without having to face any penalties? I really hope I don't have to cancel it would kill me:( .

Cheers,

Schec'

Hi Guys,

My partner and I are booked on the Gem for next april (NYC-Bahamas). She doesn't know its all a surprise as I am planning on proposing to her on it ( 6 yrs together so it's about time). The thing is I just lost my job about 2 weeks ago due to redundancy and I'm finding it near impossible to find another job ( I live in Ireland the job situation over here is just nuts its that bad). If I don't find another job soon then I'll have to cancel the cruise. I was just wondering if anyone knew how late you can leave to cancel a NCL cruise without having to face any penalties? I really hope I don't have to cancel it would kill me:( .

Cheers,

Schec'

According to NCL's terms and conditions for 7 night cruises if you cancel more than 75 days from the sail date then you get a full refund (it's 90 days before sailing if you are sailing on a holiday). Good luck, I hope it works out.

OP... I am so sorry you have found yourself in this situtation. What a lucky girl your girlfriend is to have someone to plan such a romantic way of proposing. Last year I was laid off two months before we were to cruise on the Pearl. That was , of course, after final payment date, so we decided to go on our cruise anyway. If you are past final payment, just remember that really the only thing you have to pay for after you board is the daily service charge. You can dine in the MDR's, not specialty, you don't have to drink beverages that cost you anything, etc etc. Im not saying it wouldn't be a damper on what would have been a very exciting and special cruise, but you can still make it a trip to remember.

No matter what, I do wish you good luck in finding another job and in your future marriage. I hope you do not have to cancel your cruise. 8-)

Aren't the rules a little different outside of the US? Hopefully another CC Member from the UK will post. Call your TA to get the most accurate information (here in the US, while you can usually get a full refund, some TA's charge cancellation fees). Best to go right to the source for the most accurate answer.

In the meantime, I hope the job situation turns arouond for you and something comes up. Congratulations to you and your future wife. She's a lucky lady to have found such a romantic guy!

Did you booked the cruise from NCL Europe?

This is from their new brochure:

"Cancellation fees per person:

3-night cruise and longer

Up to 60 days before departure date: 10% of the travel fee"

My guess is that you will loose 10% if you cancel your booking!

• 3 weeks later...
Good News people!! I don't have to cancel I found a job and start on aug 17th so happy days im still going cruising :D:)

That is utterly brilliant news. I'm very happy for you.

We received news of my wife's redundancy a few days before we set off on Jade but kind of knew it was in the air anyway. We still enjoyed ourselves but kept onboard spend to a minimum (about $100 apart from the service charge) without feeling TOO deprived.

You would have had a great cruise anyway, I'm sure, but now you can fully enjoy the anticipation as well:cool:

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Schec'

75 to 90 days prior to sailing, depending on whether you are sailing during a holiday season. It looks like you are not. Good luck in getting a job, enjoy your life with your partner and keep the cruise a secret for as long as you can.

Nita

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys wasn't expecting all the congrats so thank you so much! It's like a big ole family on here eh! Just out of curiosity those anyone know of anywhere romantic is NY to propose? I was going to do it on Top of the Rock or In central park near the lake. We've only been to NY twice so I'm not 100% on everywhere to go. I want to ask her somewhere that's really romantic but yet over looks the pier where the Gem leaves from. I'm going to tell her that we're going on the cruise after I ask her to marry moi, sort of double whammy surprise. so basically it'll work like this -

In april we'll be "driving to work" but I'll take a detour for the airport and tell her we're going away ( her mams going to pack her suitcase and sneak it in the boot the night before & Ive already arrange it with her work to be off). I'll ask her to marry me in NY and then tell her about the cruise.

Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks Guys wasn't expecting all the congrats so thank you so much! It's like a big ole family on here eh! Just out of curiosity those anyone know of anywhere romantic is NY to propose? I was going to do it on Top of the Rock or In central park near the lake. We've only been to NY twice so I'm not 100% on everywhere to go. I want to ask her somewhere that's really romantic but yet over looks the pier where the Gem leaves from. I'm going to tell her that we're going on the cruise after I ask her to marry moi, sort of double whammy surprise. so basically it'll work like this -

In april we'll be "driving to work" but I'll take a detour for the airport and tell her we're going away ( her mams going to pack her suitcase and sneak it in the boot the night before & Ive already arrange it with her work to be off). I'll ask her to marry me in NY and then tell her about the cruise.

Has anyone any ideas?

Oh my gosh, you totally rock!! I came in late on the thread, so 'congrats' on everything a little late on the job and a little early on the engagement! :)

Personally, I don't think your girl is going to care where you propose! She's going to be dumbstruck and probably in a little bit of shock anyway! ha ha ha I love your idea of finding someplace that overlooks the pier... have you booked a hotel yet? Perhaps there's one near the pier where you could get up the morning of your cruise and say, 'Oh, look honey, we can see cruise ships... I wonder how many people will be sailing out today celebrating something special...' :)

You Rock!! That would be a brilliant idea.Thank you. I was going to ask her on the night we arrive in NY but you've got my brain ticking now. I haven't booked a hotel yet for when we arrive only one for the saturday we arrive back from the cruise because our flight home isn't until sunday afternoon.

You Rock!! That would be a brilliant idea.Thank you. I was going to ask her on the night we arrive in NY but you've got my brain ticking now. I haven't booked a hotel yet for when we arrive only one for the saturday we arrive back from the cruise because our flight home isn't until sunday afternoon.

Don't thank me yet! I don't even know if there's a hotel with a view of the piers... it may not even be possible. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of NYC will respond... you should also ask your question on the NYC port board.

When are you going again? How long are we all going to have to wait to hear all about it? :)

Archived