Will a laptop fit in the safe?

Hellolost

We usually leave our laptop open in the room, although sometimes we lock it by cable to the bed or desk. The only ship we've seen with safes large enough are Celebrity Solstice. I imagine new ships will regulalry start to install safes large enough for laptops, as hotels are starting to do, but I don't most ships already floating will get a retro-fit.

We trust the staff. They have a lot more to lose than we do.

We usually leave our laptop open in the room, We trust the staff. They have a lot more to lose than we do.

Exactly.

If we had to worry about locking up our cameras (which cost as much as a laptop), laptop, ipods, binoculars, cellphones etc every time we left the cabin then it would not be much of a vacation for us.

Mike:)

All this reminds me of our b2b trip last Jan when Princess placed us in the Marriott North Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. The in room safe was locked when we arrived, so I called the front desk to have it opened. Thinking they would have a master combination to open it, they arrived & just slipped the safe out of the cabinet and inserted a 2 foot dowel into a hole in the back to press a release button & it popped open. :D Granted the safes on the ship don't have this feature but I really wonder if someone couldn't get into it if they really wanted to.

All this reminds me of our b2b trip last Jan when Princess placed us in the Marriott North Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. The in room safe was locked when we arrived, so I called the front desk to have it opened. Thinking they would have a master combination to open it, they arrived & just slipped the safe out of the cabinet and inserted a 2 foot dowel into a hole in the back to press a release button & it popped open. :D Granted the safes on the ship don't have this feature but I really wonder if someone couldn't get into it if they really wanted to.

That's the problem of those small safes in homes and hotels. If a burglar thinks you have something worthwhile, they will just take the whole safe and crack it later.

We just returned from 2 weeks on a Alaska Cruisetour.Before we left I purchased a DaySafe 100 by PacSafe for my husbands computer.It was a great investment!We used the heck out of it.During the day we would take the backpack part with us and leave the safe part cabled to something.It fit ALOT of stuff in it.My husbands computer,both our meds,folder with paperwork,and a bunch of misc.stuff.It was my husbands carry on for all the planes,trains and buses.We feel it was worth every penney(and may I say he rolled his eyes when I first showed it to him!).We plan on using it when we go to Europe and then Australia.Its a good sized backpack.We got ours on the Magellan Travel supply website.They have a video on it.

We just returned from 2 weeks on a Alaska Cruisetour.Before we left I purchased a DaySafe 100 by PacSafe for my husbands computer.It was a great investment!We used the heck out of it.During the day we would take the backpack part with us and leave the safe part cabled to something.It fit ALOT of stuff in it.My husbands computer,both our meds,folder with paperwork,and a bunch of misc.stuff.It was my husbands carry on for all the planes,trains and buses.We feel it was worth every penney(and may I say he rolled his eyes when I first showed it to him!).We plan on using it when we go to Europe and then Australia.Its a good sized backpack.We got ours on the Magellan Travel supply website.They have a video on it.

It's not a bad idea but

got through without to much trouble. It's still better than leaving anything on the open desk.

I agree with you.We knew people could get into it with some work.Nothing like that is foolproof.But the idea is to make it harder for them,rather to let them just pick it up off the desk and take it.Thats why we have deadbolts on our house doors.It won't keep burglars away.But it gives them extra work to get in.

IMO laptops while not cheap are not outrageously expensive either. The data, especially financial data, passwords etc. could be extremely valuable.

So do not put valuable data on your laptop. Put all the valuable password and financial data on a memory stick that will easily fit in the safe and will most likely not be needed while on the cruise.

Your laptop will most likely not be disturbed on the ship as mine never has been disturbed, but who wants to risk their investment nest egg to that one bad apple in the crew. I keep my important stuff on a memory stick with a rather difficult password protection and locked in the safe (good luck deciphering my 18 digit alpha numeric password).

My travel laptop doesn't hold any financial data - that's confined to my home desktop machine. ;)

I have been able to put our travel laptop into our cabin's safe. It's a 12-inch G4 iBook, so it's a few years old. Putting it in the safe was a matter of "working the diagonals". This was on the Pacific Princess in 2006.

The last time we cruised we used our iPhones for checking email and didn't bring a laptop. They definitely fit in the safe. At 4.7 ounces apiece they certainly are lighter to carry around too! :D

Archived