Balcony plexiglass & infant lifejackets?

S&G@C

We will be sailing next week with a 3 year old grandchild on the Mariner. I have requested that the balcony railing be child-proofed. Does anyone have a picture of what Regent does to the balcony? Also, does Regent have age-appropriate life jackets? I am assuming that they do but will bring a coast guard approved one if necessary. Thanks for the input!

I have no two legged children myself, but I did notice the folks next door to us last month did. Regent installed a plastic cover that went from the rail to the deck on the veranda. I also noticed it was not in place when we boarded. It was added either at the passengers onboard request or perhaps missed before boarding by Regent.

There are child size life jackets onboard. The exact look of which I could not say.

Also the sliding doors to the balcony are pretty heavy and you have to hold the latch open and slide them at the same time to get them unfastened. I have a little bit of a hard time doing it, so as long as you leave the slider closed and latched, the child shouldn't be able to open it.

I am typing this from computer on the Mariner...let me know if I can investigate/confirm anything for you.

Thanks...we sail next week. Hope you are getting some good weather! Do they have appropriate fitting lifejackets for a 30lb. child? My daughter is very nervous.

Because I was so nervous when we went, I took a life jacket from home for our three year old grandchild. I also took an alarm that was placed on the balcony door to ensure that I would hear if the door was opened. I found out that neither was needed, but it certainly helped me cope with the "what if" scenarios. My husband kept reminding me to check the statistics on "child overboard", and that helped as I didn't find one instance of a child falling off a ship. Still, I removed anything that could be climbed off our balcony when the children were on the balcony. As well, Regent had the children participate in the muster and provided additional information so we understood what would happen if we were not in our cabins/had access to our grandchildren's life jackets. Regent really is safety conscious.

Well that's nice to hear. I concur that the balcony doors are incredibly heavy and it's lucky if someone with arthritis can open them, let alone a 3-year old child.

I was the most paranoid person about drowning when my child was small, so I understand, but I can't imagine the cruise line *not* having life jackets to fit the little people! But I completely understand, believe me.

Thanks...we sail next week. Hope you are getting some good weather! Do they have appropriate fitting lifejackets for a 30lb. child? My daughter is very nervous.

As was mentioned...they do have life jackets for children, but not in the suites...you must ask them to bring one (which they will gladly do).

Weather has been overcast so far. Most of the mountain tops are obscured, but it does make for better viewing & photographing of land, sea, and air creatures. Just got back from the Otter and Wildlife excursion. Saw several otters, a couple of eagles and several whales (including a grey...which is quite rare this time of year).

Archived