Nail Polish Question

I'll agree with Jan's daughter, the professional! My nail person uses OPI (although she does have some Essie colours, which I like, but I don't think they last as long) and I've never had the top coat peel away. Of course, some of that may have to do with having it properly applied; I find if I do my own nails (like once in a decade!), it just doesn't look as good or last as long.

what is the best base coat nail polish, and clear coat? I'm looking for one that actually sticks.....doesn't peal off....:(

Thanks!!!

Hi there! I am not a nail lady but I have learned from going to the salon for so long. It is best to use Orly bonder as your first coat before applying OPI nail polish (two coats). For top coat, it can be OPI if you can't find Seche Vite.

I love the Maybelline Express Finish--it's fast drying, and mine has never "peeled"...polish doesn't have to be expensive to work just fine! I use any brand basecoat (to keep the color from staining my nails) 2-3 coats of polish and 2 coats of Clear topcoat....lasts until my nails grow out and you can start seeing the nailbed!

Along the same lines as what the OP asked:

What are some tips to get a pedicure to look good for 2 weeks! I will be going on a B2B and don't want to have my toes needing a touch up every other day. I am a very active person, and DH and I will be snorkeling quite a bit. I would rather not spend the $$ on getting a pedicure on the ship. Any tip for applying the brands mentioned above that will make it last for 2 weeks, or am I better off planning to do it myself on a sea day?

What are some tips to get a pedicure to look good for 2 weeks! I will be going on a B2B and don't want to have my toes needing a touch up every other day. I am a very active person, and DH and I will be snorkeling quite a bit. I would rather not spend the $$ on getting a pedicure on the ship. Any tip for applying the brands mentioned above that will make it last for 2 weeks, or am I better off planning to do it myself on a sea day?

As other posters have said, OPI holds up well--I too am fairly active and I don't have any problems with just a regular pedicure with OPI products holding up for two weeks--however, if being in the sand makes it appear a little dull, just apply a little topcoat and be sure that the edges of the nails have the topcoat when the pedicure is done.

Put cuticle oil daily around the cuticles and nails will look fresh. Better, when you go get your med and ped done, tell the nail lady you want some magic such that your nails and toes will last for two weeks. Maybe, the nail lady will work her magic on your request.:)

When you snorkel are you using closed or open heel fins? The reason I ask is that I have discovered while diving that wearing an open heel fin with neoprene dive boots (or neoprene socks) keep my polish intact. When I had my bare foot in a fin, the polish would rub off in spots. I do bring my color with me just in case I need a touch up.

• 3 weeks later...

I did my own test of Creative Nail Stickey and it works great! But I had difficulty finding it because I was looking for Creative Nail to be spelled out instead of CND, but I did find it at Ulta. Only $7.50, and it has made a huge difference. Just wanted to report back.

I don't have much of a problem with my toenail polish staying on forever, but my fingernails are awful. I've been working with my nail lady and she is stumped. She has been doing research and trying all of these top coats that are supposed to be awesome but they just don't work for me. Within a day, 2 tops, my fingernail polish is chipping and has a crackle affect. Within a few days of having them done I usually have less polish on my fingers than the polish that has chipped off. I don't really do anything with my hands either

My pedis stay until my manicurist takes the polish off, every 4 weeks. She uses OPI, I think...I should pay more attention but it's the only chance I get to look at People magazine ;)

I gave up on nail polish for my fingers a few years ago and have clear gel nails.

I used a lot of OPI polish, but their base coat did not help the staying power at all on me. It was as if I had not even used a base coat. I know I'm hard on my nails, but very glad someone suggested Creative Nail Stickey. I had not heard of it before reading about it on this thread (that I recall, in case any lawyers are lurking....).

I just had a manicure on Sunday at a salon (french)..had pool therapy yesterday and never gave it a thought that it might come off. So after getting out of the pool my white tips were almost all off :( Is there anything anyone could recommend for nails..so the polish doesn't come off from the pool? :confused:

I just had a manicure on Sunday at a salon (french)..had pool therapy yesterday and never gave it a thought that it might come off. So after getting out of the pool my white tips were almost all off :( Is there anything anyone could recommend for nails..so the polish doesn't come off from the pool? :confused:

I don't have any recommendations, but I'd go back to the salon today and show them. Nail polish should last more than a couple of days!

I'm a nail polish junkie, so I feel like I've tried everything under the sun. My favorite basecoats are Creative Nail Design Stickey and Orly Bonder. Nothing else compares. My favorite top coats are Seche Vite and Poshe (Sally Hansen Insti-dry is good too). They dry incredibly fast, stay shiny and protect your polish. (I see its popular, but in my opinion OPI needs to stick to polishes and leave the top/basecoats and treatments to someone else)

You can wear the cheapest nail polish at the drugstore so long as you find a solid basecoat and topcoat. Just bring your topcoat along (a word of advice: don't use Seche Vite as a "refresher", only use it over wet polish. I use Out the Door to refresh my nails and it keeps things looking brand new for....well, as long as the polish color holds my interest. Then I switch. :))

Have your nail person do the "French- white" part on the top of the nail and then put on top coat. Could it be that the white French part was on the underside of the nail and thus came off?

I wore acrylic nails for 10 years and always with painted designs and color on the tips like a French nail. Lasted up to 2 weeks with little loss of polish -- and I was hard on them as never wore gloves, did housework and worked as children's librarian picking up hundreds of books. Should not wear off in pool if done correctly.

My suggestion is white or clear on top of nail (doesn't show growth as much) and color or design on the tip of the finger. 2 coats of top coat and ultraviolet light to dry top coat.

Found Europe and cruise spas don't do tips, or multicolored designs. Also take nail glue in case one pops off.

Archived